Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Dropped the truck off today. They are going to check it out but I mentioned, strongly, many times about the fuel rails and the known issue. The service writer said they will check it out and they have them in stock since they have had a few problems like this before. She said she is not promising anything but the truck might be done tomorrow! They are doing the recall for the fuel pump thingy that I have been avoiding...Don't nobody touch my truck...anyway, they gave me a CRV (HA!) loaner. It serves the purpose. Cannot wait for my Cyber truck to be ready...

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st post on the forum.... I bought a 2019 RTL-E (Nov. 2019) and since I've purchased I've had it in and out of the local service department shop (1 and now the other). I'm getting the Emissions EPS, VSA, Hill Start Assist, Trailer Stability Assist, Road Departure Mitigation System Problems. The shops are not able to recreate the errors after clearing them, but when I pick them up the errors return making multiple trips back and forth. I am able to clear the errors with my ODBII and force the errors when I engage the Honda Sense Lane Keep Assist (adaptive cruise control seems to work fine) come to a stop and let the vehicle rest for 10+ mins and restart it. If I do not use Honda Senses, then the emissions error comes and goes. Although, those errors returned after a week and were persistent when I dropped off my truck today. The previous shop recharged the old battery, replace it new, and replaced either the ECM or the Head Unit (I'm at work and I can't remember from the work sheet). Regardless they can't seem to recreate the errors (with techline on the phone). The only other thing the techs wouldn't have is my Pixel 4 XL phone (doubtful that's the cause). Sorry for the long rant, but has anyone else run into this litany of issues?

edit:
wanted to add ODBII fault codes P2123, P0453, P0641, P0651, P06a8

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
PICKED up my truck today, less then 24 hours after dropping it off. It was the fuel injector system. They replaced it and did the recall. I am thrilled I got the truck back super fast and it seems to be fine. But, it was fine when I dropped it off! All covered, didn't cost me a penny, Just the way I like it. I need another road trip!

·
Registered
890 Posts
My update from today in the Fuel Injector Replacement thread (click on link below). Injectors replaced today under the NY State 70k required warranty. I was running rich as well which I knew from freeze frame and live data checks with my Autel OBD reader.

The DTC was P219A which is the rear bank of cylinders. I think a lot of the scenarios are too rich vs too lean meaning the injectors are getting shavings in them that hold the jet in a more open position.

Fuel Injector Replacement

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My update from today in the Fuel Injector Replacement thread (click on link below). Injectors replaced today under the NY State 70k required warranty. I was running rich as well which I knew from freeze frame and live data checks with my Autel OBD reader.

The DTC was P219A which is the rear bank of cylinders. I think a lot of the scenarios are too rich vs too lean meaning the injectors are getting shavings in them that hold the jet in a more open position.

Fuel Injector Replacement
I had P219B...When the service woman asked about the problem I was having I told her I had a P219 Code, didn't remember the letter but she said it is probably a P219A. But I looked later and it was a P219 B. I wonder what the difference is. Glad these are being repaired for free. It was great to see a bill that said "NC" down the entire right side!
EDIT It looks like the same code for the opposite cylinder bank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The emissions code error came back on (2nd time) again Friday on my way back home from a 2.5 hour drive work trip. Called and will drop off my BE today. Hopefully, the code will still be accessible and can get this taken care of.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I had P219B...When the service woman asked about the problem I was having I told her I had a P219 Code, didn't remember the letter but she said it is probably a P219A. But I looked later and it was a P219 B. I wonder what the difference is. Glad these are being repaired for free. It was great to see a bill that said "NC" down the entire right side!
EDIT It looks like the same code for the opposite cylinder bank.
So we have had an A and B code so probably has nothing to do with the VCM bank.

The emissions code error came back on (2nd time) again Friday on my way back home from a 2.5 hour drive work trip. Called and will drop off my BE today. Hopefully, the code will still be accessible and can get this taken care of.
How many miles?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So we have had an A and B code so probably has nothing to do with the VCM bank.

How many miles?
Right at 57k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, please let us know if Honda covers it (unless you have an extended warranty of course).
Will do. I do have the extended warranty and this will be the first true test of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well just got my BE back pretty quick and smooth. Just a 2.5 hour job. (Pic of job description attached).

Code was PO430. Did the PCM update and failed after the A/F test, then promptly replaced injectors.

My service advisor said they now stock those parts and were doing a fair number of replacements....he said mainly he saw between 20k and 40k miles. I made it to 53k.

I told him of my extended warranty and he said "well....let me tell you about that....." I have to say my heart sank and I was bracing for the worst.

Given my mileage, we were both expecting to tap the extended warranty, so called them first. They said Honda should be covering this issue on original warranty, up to 90k miles (something around that.... can't remember exactly). I thought I was now caught between these two and no one was paying. Honda indeed is covering this repair, no charge. As they should.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Thanks for the update. Clearly the inovice says warranty but that conflicts with the TSB information which does not extend the repair beyond the 3/36. Good news for the consumer, I think this is the second case posted on the forum that was covered outside the 3/36. It would just be nice to see something official from Honda.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
My 2017 BE (wannabeType R) RL with 40k miles got the Emmisions System problem today. Wife has been driving it for last week or so I told her it’s probably upset and constipated listening to you all the time.

I’m going to take it to local dealer that has faithfully serviced it and did the fuel pump recall... twice. Reason was,they wanted to verify/redo mine as original tech was recently let go for pencil whipping work not actually performed. While I wa bummed about a revisit, glad they had the integrity to call for the recheck. No issues but this time no fuel smell lingering.

That was 6 months and a few thousand miles ago (got a real Type Ridge isn’t daily driver anymore).

I have Dash Commander with ODB2 Y-cable and it shows a previous code of P219A.
I didn’t get the ES fail light but Dash Commander showed it set before.

I’ll probably wait as I don’t want to be the guy that runs to the dealer right away every for instance (pretend), “Why sir, the yellow warning light on the dash is not a malfunction. Fuel Low is a normal to come on when the vehicle needs to be refueled; it’s not an indication local gas prices have dropped.”

Researching this Emmision Systems Gail light, dealers typically do a software update, then if not fixed, replace injectors.

I have Honda ESP to 7yr/120k/no deduct so whatever it takes, shouldn’t be on my dime and it’s had every service by this dealer (bought prepaid, saves 30%).

Any ideas or possible helpful hints or observations, fixes appreciated.
Only significant mods besides extensive cosmetics are OEM muffler & resonator delete and Flowmaster FX instead. This gives it nice deep snarl, out the center back trip exhaust.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thanks for the update. Clearly the inovice says warranty but that conflicts with the TSB information which does not extend the repair beyond the 3/36. Good news for the consumer, I think this is the second case posted on the forum that was covered outside the 3/36. It would just be nice to see something official from Honda.
I've seen multiple posts on this forum and Piloteers.org from different owners claiming they were told that Honda has extended the warranty on the injectors to 8/80. The most recent was a member on Piloteers.org who cited a bulletin dated December 20, 2019. TSB 19-072 was updated on that date, but there is NO mention of a warranty extension. There has been no recall or mention of a warranty extension in any TSB, ServiceNews article, or email to dealers. This leads me to suspect that Honda has been approving injector replacements under warranty for up to 8/80, but they're not ready to commit to this in writing - at least for now.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Its unfair to those that paid for the injector replacement. Hopefully Honda will come up with a revision for repayment. They have done this in the past but many, many years later. CRV A/C compressors and Accord rear brakes come to mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dropped of my 2017 RTL-T at the dealer this morning with P219b code. Truck has 54,000 miles. Dealer called a few hours later and said they would cover the cost of the fuel injector/rail replacement under the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Didn't have to argue at all. Pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Today I took my truck in for the dreaded "emission systems problem" error code P219B. Truck has 58,400 miles so it was covered under basic 60,000 power train warranty. My cost would have been $1,600. The service writer showed me the $1,147 bill they were sending to Honda. PS: he also told me that just this week Honda has extended the warranty to 90K miles or 96 months for this repair. Obviously they know they have a problem with this engine.

I've driven a Ridgeline for 14 years now (2006, and now 2017). This is the first time I've experienced this level of repair needs. I'll be watching closely for the problem to show signs of reoccurring.

Semi-happy owner. Happy I didn't have to pay for the repair, but unhappy my truck failed!

·
Administrator
13,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
The service writer showed me the $1,147 bill they were sending to Honda. PS: he also told me that just this week Honda has extended the warranty to 90K miles or 96 months for this repair. Obviously they know they have a problem with this engine.
Injectors are not covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. They are covered under the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty, the 7/70 California emissions warranty, or up to 8/120 if you have Honda Care.

Both TSB's that deal with this issue (18-025 and 19-073) still indicate that the "normal warranty applies" (each time someone claims otherwise, I always pull the TSB's directly from Honda to see if they've been updated).

Either way, I'm glad that you didn't have to pay. :)

121 - 138 of 138 Posts