Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The emissions warning light came on and stayed on for approximately 20 miles. Took to dealership and they said it was the gas cap (doesn't have one). They then said they reset the computer and waived the fee so all is good. Should I be worried? It hasn't returned in a few weeks but worried about approaching 60,000 and out of warranty. Thoughts??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Potentially, and try a different dealer. They should have checked for codes and the code would dictate what test or reprogramming they should do but usually it results in new injectors which are only covered up to the 3/36. If you live in a state that follows the California emissions then you are covered until 7/70. If you don/t have an extended warranty be prepared for a $1500 repair or hope that Honda will help you out. There are some that say Honda is covering it up to 8/80 and have received the repair but there is nothing in writing. Let us know how you make out. If it's the injectors, you will get the emissions warning again sooner or later.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The dealer can still read the stored code even if the dash warning is off. If it is P219A or P219B air/fuel imbalance (this is common) it'll be easy to get the TSB 18-025 done (fuel injectors and rails) for free if in a 7/70 state or at least with an 80% concession if in a 3/36 state.

Basically the extended emissions coverage is in: California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont

It could be other stuff like a transmission pressure sensor (or even low tranny fluid can send a code that comes up as emissions). If you don't have a friend with an OBD reader, just go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone and they'll read the code for free. The codes Hondas throw are usually pretty straight forward with what to fix.

As 14v6 noted above, nothing in writing but the injectors is a common issue with Pilots, Odysseys and G2 RLs (basically the 3.5 DI engine) and the dealers can easily get approval from Honda based on a present or stored code that is on the TSB. Honda knows the high pressure fuel pump/injector issue is a supplier issue and they don't fight it (probably because they want to avoid a full recall and/or class action suits).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridgeline. 74k miles. out of warranty.
Emission light was on and it was running choppy. A reputable dealer read a code for a bad injector and replaced them--Honda paid $1000. I paid $500. It's a negotiation.
(I was running 0 ethanol gas, but I dont know the detergent level in that gas. Now I run high grade detergent gas.)

They said the catalytic converter had to be changed also--covered by warranty 8/80k. (I waited 30 days to bring it in, by which time the shifting got really bad--sounded like a rock dropping with each shift.) When I brought it in for Cat changeout, there was a new code for O2 sensor failure (they said that could have contributed to Cat failure). Whatever. $400 for o2 sensor. catalytic converter covered 8/80. Running great again...for now.

I have been driving Hondas for 40 years because previously you did not have issues like this--bad injectors (not to mention airbags)
I like the Ridgeline design and ride and mileage and hidden toolbox.
But I keep saying, "Honda isn't Honda anymore." Too bad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cars are much too complicated now. Plenty to go wrong. However, customers are all starry eyed in the show room looking at all the modern features.
Whatta' ya gonna do...:cautious:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts