Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer of my buddy Derrick brought his 2nd Viper in for a vinyl wrap. This beauty is getting a clear satin (or matte) overlay on factory white.

Delivered from a Fiat/Dodge dealer up in Orange County to Derricks shop in Carlsbad, this one has less than 100 miles on the ODO. The rims are off so factory rubber can be mounted on new rims, because... uhm... SRT Viper rims simply won't do. I guess.

Carbon fiber hood, tailgate, doors. Solenoid release doors, titanium foot pedals, cast aluminum A-Arms all around, beautiful coil over shocks. Lovely example of automotive engineering.

1_Front.jpg

2_RearQuarter.jpg

3_Motor.jpg

4_Viper.jpg

5_Exhaust.jpg

6_Tail_Light.jpg

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Gorgeous car, too bad its a Chrysler product.

I have a good friend that has owned 5 of these and raced them professionally. Very difficult to drive them fast. But they sure are sweet to look at.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that shifter positiion!
Not being a small guy, getting in this car is one thing. Once seated, it feels more like wearing the car rather than being "in it". Without moving the seat an inch, the wheel is right where I'd want it. The high side console makes for very comfortable - partially supported - grasp on the ultra short throw shifter. Like a tailored suit. The Dodge boys made this car for me. Except they priced it outta my league. Rat bastards!

I'm glad the wheels were off - else I'd have reduced myself to girly whining about not being allowed to take it out in the lot - for a short turn around, with no worries cuz my really delux insurance will cover anything that might happen. HONEST DERRICK, you'll be covered! OH COME ON MAN! GIMME THE KEYS! WAAAAHHH.

So, for one more day, I get to keep the mancard in my wallet, WHEW! Whiney b!tch syndrome avoided.

Good thing they preserved the roof bubbles too.

18_HeadBumps.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gorgeous car, too bad its a Chrysler product.

I have a good friend that has owned 5 of these and raced them professionally. Very difficult to drive them fast. But they sure are sweet to look at.
In 1982, I had the opportunity to take a customers DP935 for a drive - and he didn't mind because he was NUTS in more ways than one.

Water cooled heads, air cooled block, twin blowers, REALLY wide BBS rims. It was the first time I'd ever seen a 35 series tire. Being young and bold (stupid!), I got her pointed in a straight line, let out the clutch with caution and once rolling, pressed the peddle to the floor. Tremendous turbo lag in those days. Initially unimpressed that such a wicked looking car would feel so similar to a 911, I was about to mumble something disparaging about the car when without warning, the turbos spool up. Left front wheel almost left the ground & before I could move my foot off the gas, the speedo was approaching 60. I'd never seen a speedometer needle move so quickly - faster than most tachs!

When I did slip a foot off the gas, weight shift to the front end was an unfamiliar sensation – not sure what to do I got back on the gas. Mind you, still in first gear - cuz I’m too stunned by all the activity to be changing gears…. turbos were right there. Now the ass end wants to swap places with the front. By this time, I'm breaking a sweat and running out of road. This ride also became the first time ABS was clearly felt in my feet. The brake pedal kicked like a mule (or so memory says). Somehow, the car stopped without incident. I swear I heard an evil laugh coming from inside my head. For the ill-informed/unprepared driver, high power/high torque rear engine Porsche's are definitely difficult to drive. Bob Bondurant took the edge off my inexperience a few years later.

Same customer brings me a Purple XJ12 with fat rims all around. It rumbled into my garage. This was certainly not a politely tuned, well-mannered British 12 banger. A 600cu in Keith Black Hemi had taken its place. He let me take that car to the Del Mar Grand Prix where my company had a demo booth for the entire weekend. On the way back to the shop Sunday after races, I'm southbound on 805 just past the 5 split. It was dusk. A NatZ buzzes up next to the Jag - lurching and lagging as we maintain ~60. The Z sounds like a bumble bee - driver looking my way in challenge. The Jag was automatic, so what could go wrong? I stomped the gas - next thing I know, the headlights are illuminating the "Mira Mar Road 1 mile" off ramp sign positioned ABOVE the freeway on an overpass. NatZ was in the rear view mirror. .

That car was easy to drive.

Same customer eventually brought in a 917, 246 Dino, BB512 and a wild Cadillac DeVille with a Rat motor and 4 Recaro Ideal Seat C’s. For a guy with money, he sure didn't seem smart about who he would let drive his cars!

Years later, he ended up in prison for reasons we can guess at. A great car guy but a questionable human being, perhaps.

From what I’m told, the 2016 Viper SRT puts 650HP down at the wheels. Pretty impressive in my book. If materials, construction and appearance count for anything, the Viper sure looks like it could walk the walk. I hope buyers with the $ to buy these things have the brains to learn how to drive them. With that, as I looked closely at this Viper, I couldn’t help but think about its future value. What brought that to mind was the production progress dots painted on the front/rear upper control arms, and the hand scratched #’s, and the alignment paint. If mileage is kept low and she remains stock, those little color dots can make mega dollar differences to collectors looking for factory originality.

19_ControlArms.jpg

Weird thought to have – the car is meant to eat the road and I hope she does. Her builders would want it that way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good story, thanks for the photos.

Could you tell us more about the wrap...is that a full vehicle wrap to... change the colour/finish...protect the finish? The only vehicle wraps I'm familiar with are blazing graphics for marketing or the 3M clear film for protection.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good story, thanks for the photos.

Could you tell us more about the wrap...is that a full vehicle wrap to... change the colour/finish...protect the finish? The only vehicle wraps I'm familiar with are blazing graphics for marketing or the 3M clear film for protection.

Thanks.
Check out this thread on current wraps. Full body covering that more than graphics or advertising. Pretty cool stuff happening.

The Viper is getting transparent (or more accurately "translucent) covering that keeps factory color but changes finish to stain or matte. Like protection films, if the surface gets gouged or scratched, pouring hot water over the area "self heals". Its cool to watch happen and even cooler not to shell out $ to repaint/touchup a surface imperfection.

Ever heard of "Hydro Decal"? A new process that is literally a decal over any surface that can be placed in a tank. Couple weeks back, I saw hood come out of a tank with a newly applied faux carbon. Man that was cool. Looked like the real deal with depth and color highlights in the "weave".

Decals are no where near as tough as vinyl but it sure is pretty. Apparently, OEM are doing this on certain components - rumor is - new Vette underhood parts are carbon decals.

Anyhow, read thru the wrap thread. Big doings in this relatively new area of customization.

I'll update images of the Viper as things progress.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The new Viper(starting in 2015) puts out 645 HP at the crank...up from 640 when the Gen 5 Viper came out in 2013. The way things stand now, 2016 is the last year for production, with the CAAP scheduled for shutdown in the summer of 2017.

We've had our 2000 Viper since new and have put over 116,000 miles on it. It's been one of the most trouble free cars we've ever had. I supercharged it at 54,000 miles. It has 680HP/750TQ at the crank (dyno...600RWHP/636RWTQ). I've put over 1000 track miles on it. We shipped it to Havasu this year...probably for the rest of the time we own it. We're picking up one like the one above in Detroit on the way home from Havasu in late April...except it's a 2013 bumblebee with the track pack option. ...Headed for the Gingerman race track for about the 7th time in South Haven, MI. with it on 5/28.

Between the 2000, and 2001 GTS we had for 7 years,we have about 125,000 Viper miles under our belt. ...These cars are garage queens for most owners. We bought ours to enjoy. We're taking a 1,000 mile trip with the 2000 next week out here and have a 3,500 mile trip with the new one planned for mid June

1 - 10 of 10 Posts