Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello newbie here. Have been reading about all the radiator threads, but my RL is showing nothing obviously odd, temp dial pegged mid and stays, no apparent leaks, radiator fans running. But its freakin hot under the hood when I check it out, 30 minutes after I drove it (its not that hot outside where I live and its not in the sun). Have never felt an engine bay so hot, even the plastics are not comfortable to touch... any thoughts?

P.S. how much does it cost to replace a radiator anyway? I've seen so many posts, but have not come across a $$.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Can anyone corroborate that the Ridgeline engine bay gets quite hot compared with more conventional Hondas? Its running at a fine temp, but when i turn her off, it cooks under there like mad... its the same powertrain as my Ody was, and that one did not heat up this way... Any input appreciated !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anyone corroborate that the Ridgeline engine bay gets quite hot compared with more conventional Hondas? Its running at a fine temp, but when i turn her off, it cooks under there like mad... its the same powertrain as my Ody was, and that one did not heat up this way... Any input appreciated !
Not sure if anyone ever got back to you on this Or if you’ll ever see my reply as it’s been several years since your post. But I noticed that about my 2011 RTL. Did you ever come to a conclusion?

·
Registered
684 Posts
No difference regarding the G2 Rigi......better be real careful what/where you touch under the hood right after turning the motor off. Our ‘17 CRV was no where near as hot under the hood and it had a splash cover under the motor and tranny. Our V6 RAV4 is no where near as hot either.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
684 Posts
'17 CRV has a big honkin' catholic converter right there at radiator efans......nowhere near as hot under the hood as the G2 Rigi. 🤷‍♂️ The CRV does run about 10 degrees lower coolant temp than the G2 Rigi, but I'm thinking that's due to a lower temp t-stat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
'17 CRV has a big honkin' catholic converter right there at radiator efans......nowhere near as hot under the hood as the Rigi. 🤷‍♂️
Apparently all catalytic converters are not born equally. I remember many cases where people parked on the side of the road In grass and next thing you know Their car was in fire from catalytic converter catching grass on fire

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not to long after the advent of automotive catholic converters, warnings in owner's manuals started to appear for that very reason......grass fires.

I know of another vehicle that gets very hot in the area of the hood prop rod......'98 Jeep XJ.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apparently all catalytic converters are not born equally. I remember many cases where people parked on the side of the road In grass and next thing you know Their car was in fire from catalytic converter catching grass on fire

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes I have noticed it very hot under the hood of my 2008 from day one. I think it's just how it is. I did a radiator replacement around 95k to avoid SMOD and the temp gauge still reads about mid sweep which it always has since new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts