Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine cover necessary?

Has anyone asked if the engine cover is necessary under the hood?

Does it help with keeping it quiet in the cab and exterior?
If I ever had to bring it in to the dealer I would put it back on but I was wondering if I would hurt anything if I removed it.

Thanks,
AA

·
Registered
417 Posts
Re: Engine cover necessary?

Nope, it's mostly cosmetic, but will add a little NVH value.

It's not the prettiest engine to look at, so why uncover it?

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nope, it's mostly cosmetic, but will add a little NVH value.

It's not the prettiest engine to look at, so why uncover it?
I got a VCmuzzler and if I have to mess around with the resistors to get the right setup I want to have easy access. Plus I feel like the engine cover just provides more opportunity for heat build up.

Isn't the engine already covered up by the hood?...

·
Premium Member
372 Posts

The covers do a few things, that may or may not be important to you (learned from strong google-fu)

-They provide a certain level of sound proofing
-In some models the protect critical parts from dust and debris
-They can contain small leaks that may mist or spray and keep the rest of the engine area clean.

Some claim that the engine runs cooler without them

Bottom line is if you don't want it take it off.

·
Registered
323 Posts

It's not the easiest cover to replace after servicing the vehicle. No problem for a Honda service tech but if you start having your RL serviced at an independent service facility, I would be willing to guess that many will end up spending more time on a garage shelf.

·
Administrator
16,015 Posts

The covers do a few things, that may or may not be important to you (learned from strong google-fu)

-They provide a certain level of sound proofing
-In some models the protect critical parts from dust and debris
-They can contain small leaks that may mist or spray and keep the rest of the engine area clean.

Some claim that the engine runs cooler without them

Bottom line is if you don't want it take it off.
I'll add to that...

In some applications, engine covers provide thermal insulation between a hot turbocharger or exhaust manifold to keep rising heat from baking the paint on the hood.

The bottom side of the engine cover on my '99 Regal was lined with acoustic foam. With it removed, injector noise was more audible - more so outside than inside.

In some applications, the engine cover serves as an air duct that guides cooling air to specific areas where it may not reach if the engine cover is removed.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question. I appreciate the input. While it may cause some frustration I think I will put the cover back on after the VCmuzzler install just to replicate OEM conditions as much as possible.

I just wish they had made it a lot more simple to put back on rather than requiring x-ray vision or luck of the Irish.

As my dad has said to me on more than one occasion, "if our family didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any at all."

Thanks
AA

·
Registered
415 Posts

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question. I appreciate the input. While it may cause some frustration I think I will put the cover back on after the VCmuzzler install just to replicate OEM conditions as much as possible.

I just wish they had made it a lot more simple to put back on rather than requiring x-ray vision or luck of the Irish.

As my dad has said to me on more than one occasion, "if our family didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any at all."

Thanks
AA
My wife is Irish, I will let her put the cover back on when I remove mine.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So.......I installed my VCMuzzler today since I'm finally on vacation and the wife didn't have a to do list for me like every other weekend.

I also did some headlight mods, including HID lows, LED highs, and LED fogs. Check out "HID Install" thread for pics.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/138073-hid-install.html

I also found when popping off my engine cover for the first time that I had some extra sound dampening insulation as you can see in the pics. Looks like I will have to pop the cover off from time to time to make sure it doesn't refill automatically. :wink:

Bonus: I put a vinyl pinstripe on the front grill 'chin' to give it a unique look. See before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,015 Posts

WHAT in the WORLD is that? The work of mice??

*shiver*
*shudder*

I think if I found something like that I'd trade my vehicle and have Vexcon out to kill everything within my property line!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts

I agree with zroger. Once mice get the taste of a car it becomes kind of a habit to them and the future generations. I once had a vehicle where I found they'd been living behind the glove compartment in the small chamber that housed the HEPA filter. It was all trashed in there and fouled with their leavings. I spent over an hour trying to clean it with a vacuum cleaner. Don't let them take hold, they won't let go.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

My wife had a mouse get killed by her drive belt starting up her car last fall. First time ever happened. But we also moved into a house that had mice running around like they owned the place, running down the main hallway at 3 in the afternoon, and we have a 16 lb cat. He's not fat, hes a big mo fo and kills for pleasure, trust me. But these mice were everywhere, I'm pretty sure the previous owners had names for all of them. They told me they hand fed the chipmunks outside so they were 'those' type of people. Also had a giant cedar closet in the basement, that I found grow lights in the light fixture when taking it out. So...hippies.

Also did I mention that while in our new house I was out raking leaves one day and literally had a mouse scare up from the leaf pile? It froze thinking I couldn't see it anymore and I actually hit it with a large tree branch. Since then every time I go to that part of the yard I hum, Little bunny fu fu hopin' through the forest...you fill in the rest.

We have terminex now and had the TAP insulation put in the attic that kills bugs/spiders but also makes mice leave because the borate in it dries them out and since they are constant pee'ers they don't hang around long.

I will be going through the truck tomorrow to see if those fibers were from the truck or if they were brought from an outside source. It all seemed like man made fibers and nothing like that is around my house so I'm just crossing my fingers it was there when I bought the truck. DSERVIT has implied my truck may have been on the lot for at least 2-3 weeks before I got it. If it is the same one...

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Oh, HELL, no. Forget Vexcon...I'd be lighting that place on fire with the Ridgeline still in the garage.
If I can make it look like an accident to claim on the insurance then sure.>:) But it's been about a year now since we started with terminex, as well as sealing everything up with rodent proof spray foam, we haven't had an issue since. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Not sure why so many complain about how difficult it is to get the cover back on. Put your right forefinger on the rubber grommet and slide over till you feel the plastic stud. Once the first is in just rotate the cover so the right opening lines up with the intake and press down. Hasn't taken more than 30-40 seconds since I figured this out. Try it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts

We had mice in our house when we moved in. Previous owners had planted Virginia Creeper around the house, and it would vine up under the siding and wedge the siding apart enough to let mice get up into the basement drop ceiling. Most effective removal was good ol' wooden mouse trap with peanut butter. Got rid of Creeper and sealed holes with caulk and no more mice.

If you want to trap the mice alive, put a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels on your table or workbench, with one end hanging out over the edge. Put a peanut in that overhanging end, and put a tall trash can underneath it, like a 39-gallon can. 5-gallon bucket won't work as they can/will jump out of those. Mouse goes in tube to get peanut, his weight causes him to fall into the can. You may then release humanely, or give to your cat to torture... :p

Vehicle content: My brother put something called "mouse-out" in his combine to keep mice out, said it smelled like kool-aid, but it worked. I've also heard pure wintergreen oil will keep them out.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Update 9-7-16 Wed Morning:
So I started looking through the truck for any signs of the empty nesters. Yesterday when I found the nest under my engine cover I scrupulously inspected all of the hoses in the entire engine compartment for any signs of bite marks, scratches, wear, etc. I didn't find anything luckily.

Today I wanted to see if I could find other signs and where the nest material came from. I didn't have to look far, it was the insulation from the actual hood, it looks like they pulled it out of the hood section and moved it to under the engine cover.

I'll be keeping an eye on both mine and my wife's engines to make sure we don't end up with nests in the engines. Once I get the garage cleaned up we are going to start parking in it again. Its quite secure for a garage, my wife likes to make the entire house fort Knox, hence why every weekend I am working on her list vs my list, aka babying my truck.

I would recommend anyone who lives in a location with rodents to pop the engine cover off every so often, especially with the season change. Summer they tend to leave it alone. I'm getting the hang of it and the grommets are quite secure in the cover, you really need to thrash it to lose of of those when taking it off.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

We had mice in our house when we moved in. Previous owners had planted Virginia Creeper around the house, and it would vine up under the siding and wedge the siding apart enough to let mice get up into the basement drop ceiling. Most effective removal was good ol' wooden mouse trap with peanut butter. Got rid of Creeper and sealed holes with caulk and no more mice.

If you want to trap the mice alive, put a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels on your table or workbench, with one end hanging out over the edge. Put a peanut in that overhanging end, and put a tall trash can underneath it, like a 39-gallon can. 5-gallon bucket won't work as they can/will jump out of those. Mouse goes in tube to get peanut, his weight causes him to fall into the can. You may then release humanely, or give to your cat to torture... :p

Vehicle content: My brother put something called "mouse-out" in his combine to keep mice out, said it smelled like kool-aid, but it worked. I've also heard pure wintergreen oil will keep them out.
Yeah, I had found plenty of gaps from the basement to the outside, the previous owners also had a pergola with grape vines covering the whole thing and was against the house as well. I found they were going up the vines, over to the fume vent for the stove hood and made their way in there where a 1-2" gap, yeah I couldn't believe the size either, right into the house. Our 3rd day in the house my wife started screaming because a mouse was running around on top of the cabinets where the hood is. I got to trap that bitch with good ol' snap traps and pb. I like the ones that have the plastic wedge that looks like cheese over the metal style. It can be set to really sensitive and if you put it on the back end they have to stand on the wedge to get it, its all over after that.

My wife got wintergreen oil granules to put around the house. I will have to see if I can put some in a pouch to attach in the engine compartment for this season change to keep them out.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts

So.......I installed my VCMuzzler today since I'm finally on vacation and the wife didn't have a to do list for me like every other weekend.

I also did some headlight mods, including HID lows, LED highs, and LED fogs. Check out "HID Install" thread for pics.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/138-second-generation-2017/138073-hid-install.html

I also found when popping off my engine cover for the first time that I had some extra sound dampening insulation as you can see in the pics. Looks like I will have to pop the cover off from time to time to make sure it doesn't refill automatically. :wink:

Bonus: I put a vinyl pinstripe on the front grill 'chin' to give it a unique look. See before and after pics.
Any chance you could post a picture showing where the VCMuzzler plugs in? It would be helpul. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts