Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck sat all day in freezing weather. When I started it, it sounded like there was a hole in the exhaust. I actually got out and checked the exhaust. I let the truck warm up and off I go. Short ride to the interstate. Roads are icy. As I speed up to 60mph I notice that the truck has that slight vibration like one does when running in 4 wheel drive. It stays like this for about 2 miles then slowly quiets down and the vibration goes away. Anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Maybe, where you from helps. Have you had a wet snow then cold temps. Vibration and maybe noise could be from wet snow building up and freezing around the drive shaft. Its happened to many of us that live in snow country. best bet is to put somewhere to thaw out but wouldnt worry about it if that's it. Easy to check but you have to look under the truck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,591 Posts
That is a likely solution for the vibration, but the noise when starting is something else altogether. Did that noise subside as it warmed up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in south west PA and had a similar thing happen to me the other day. Drove around in slushy snow snow the day/night before. Got really cold. When first accelerating, had a roaring sound. Thought exhaust leak, but no noise when not moving. Seemed to be worse under load and would go away with speed, something seemed different. Figured I would give it a day or two. The next morning the sound was gone. Looked in the passenger side front wheel well and there was ice build-up every where.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ice somewhere bridging what is usually an air gap. Could even be at engine mounts I suppose. But more likely body connections are getting resonance that they don't usually get. Losing isolation via temporary ice bridges.

·
Supporting Vendor
277 Posts
Do you have ice or snow build-up inside your wheels?

I've had that happen to me before and it caused vibrations around 50+ mph

Most vehicles are usually louder on cold starts FWIW, that's not a Ridgeline specific issue.

Nick C.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I, too, have experienced this numerous times when it snows out. I have always attributed it to what other people are talking about, which is snow build up causing the temporary vibrations. The issue always went away once the snow melted a bit. As far as the noise, we had a 2014 Highlander that revved higher and was much louder when it was cold and was first started. Toyota told us that it is how the system warmed up the catalytic converted. The RL doesn't do that, but it will be noticeably noisier until it does warm up. As the above poster said, many cars are louder when it's cold.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,591 Posts
The V6s in my Toyota trucks were pretty noisy on a cold start up. That's when I decided to switch to synthetic oil and I thought they were much quieter after that. They tended to run at a higher speed at idle when cold to warm up faster for emissions purposes (iirc).

But as I read the OPs post, the noise sounded like an exhaust leak. An ice bridge is the only thing that comes to my mind as well... assuming the noise went away as the engine warmed up. And if so, did the same noise return the next time there was a cold start?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If the OP had just done a short trip before the temperature drop, there might have been frozen condensation anywhere in the exhaust system, altering how it sounds. I'm speculating here, but short trips without letting the entire system warm up can do all kinds of odd things.

I am not sure what was meant by the comment about "vibration like one does when running in 4 wheel drive". The Ridgeline's 4WD system comes on automatically and routinely with no vibration. The VTM-4 Lock cannot be used at regular road speeds.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If the OP had just done a short trip before the temperature drop, there might have been frozen condensation anywhere in the exhaust system, altering how it sounds. I'm speculating here, but short trips without letting the entire system warm up can do all kinds of odd things.

I am not sure what was meant by the comment about "vibration like one does when running in 4 wheel drive". The Ridgeline's 4WD system comes on automatically and routinely with no vibration. The VTM-4 Lock cannot be used at regular road speeds.
I noticed that comment too, and assumed he was talking about other (older?) trucks or jeeps he'd driven with locking hub type 4wd??

·
Registered
55 Posts
No worries, you just have ice build up in two areas. First is ice between heat shield and floor, sounds like exhaust is compleatly off but is actually a vibration against the floor. Second is ice on the rims or driveshaft which un-balances everything and gives a rough ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts