Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my exhauting research before buying my Ridge I remember reading something about the engine being governed to a certain top speed(MPH). Does anyone have any information with regard to this? Thanks in advance:) .

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Another one of those safety features that you don't have to think about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just about any car made today has a governor - even a Ferrari.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can personally vouch for at least 110.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes 110-ish. but the one thing I do like is that unlike my silverado that cut off at 99, My silverado would accelerate to 99 cut off, accelerate to 99 cut off, so forth over and over. The ridge just cruises...no red lining, no straining, engine just as quiet as doing 60mph.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
BKLYNBOY11 said:
During my exhauting research before buying my Ridge I remember reading something about the engine being governed to a certain top speed(MPH). Does anyone have any information with regard to this? Thanks in advance:) .
The Ridgeline has two speed limiters. The vehicle speed limiter is set at 112 MPH so as not to exceed the speed rating of the factory tires.

The engine also has an RPM limiter. It cuts off the fuel injection at a certain RPM to prevent engine damage.

-Joe

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I have a third one - it's in the passengers seat! :rolleyes:
:) I have that same feature too......with an authoritative and sharp voice command:D

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
Yes 110-ish. but the one thing I do like is that unlike my silverado that cut off at 99, My silverado would accelerate to 99 cut off, accelerate to 99 cut off, so forth over and over. The ridge just cruises...no red lining, no straining, engine just as quiet as doing 60mph.
Drive by wire accomodates this type of functionality. There is no need for a fuel or ignition shut for a governor that can control the throttle position.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Drive by wire accomodates this type of functionality. There is no need for a fuel or ignition shut for a governor that can control the throttle position.
The throttle position or accelerator pedal has nothing to do with the RPM limiter! You can exceed maximum RPM at a variety of throttle or accelerator positions.

The RPM is limited by the ECU just like every other modern vehicle... drive by wire or not. The input is the same to the ECU on a drive by wire system or not. The method to reduce RPM can be done by reducing the fuel injection pulse, or electronically reducing the throttle position. The result is the same either way.

When an overspeed condition exists the fuel system reduces the RPM's. No modern vehicle uses the ignition system to reduce RPM's. That would be an EPA violation and probably blow the catalytic converter off the vehicle.

Many moons ago I was involved in the development of the Lean Burn system and we used the ignition cut out, but we were limited to electronic feedback carburetors in those days, but we did introduce an RPM limiter on some models. We didn't even have a crankshaft position sensor on many models. We also blew apart (or melted) quite a few carburetors when the ignition system went into bypass mode (the system used a Carter ThermoQuad with a plastic housing).

Th

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
stinger said:
I have that same feature too......with an authoritative and sharp voice command
I've got one that works quite well. ;) A picture of me in my deputy car,:D that you hang off your rearview mirror. If you order now I'll include an additional picture of our most feared motorman.:rolleyes: :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
BKLYNBOY11 said:
Hi BKLYNBOY11, We've seen a sustained 110mph on the flatland between here and Las Vegas. Felt like a very smooth 65 cruise. I think the Blue one's go up to 111 and the green's will hit an honest 112. Red & Silver huh, don't have any info regarding there top end.........anyone else?:D :p :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll have to test that theory next time i'm on the highway, and maybe when some of this snow melts :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
hijack204 said:
I'll have to test that theory next time i'm on the highway, and maybe when some of this snow melts :)
Not that I would endorse or recommend this but could you imagine the rooster tail you would kick up at 110 mph in the snow. I'm talking about a nice safe place like the Salt Flats in UT not the streets of any city or highway.:D

L

·
0 Posts
Oddjob said:
I've got one that works quite well. ;) A picture of me in my deputy car,:D that you hang off your rearview mirror. If you order now I'll include an additional picture of our most feared motorman.:rolleyes: :eek:
I'll buy one!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts