Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First noticed this knock at about 500 miles... Let it go until 1500 miles... This happens under slight load. Changed oil and filter with 0w20 mobile one. Still very noticeable. Took it to the dealer and had a lead technician listen to it.. He seemed concerned. Service writer listened to it and looked at me and said....That sounds like its in the lower end. They kept the truck and contacted Honda and explained the issue. They checked the things they were told to check... Told me they drove a new truck on the lot and it made the same sound....????? I trust the Dealership but this knock does not seem right... I called Honda Customer service and was told it is what it is... I would like to know if any one has this same concern. I love my new Ridgeline. It is a pre retirement gift to myself... I traded my 08 Ridgeline in on it... Right now i'am not sure that was a good idea... I pulled my trailer for the first time today,and it really talks to you with this load on it. PS I have been a Mechanic for over 45 years....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Low end knocks are never good, or normal! If that's truly where it's coming from, it will likely continue to get worse.

You have a nice 3/36K warranty....make good use of it! I would push it hard to "speed up" the inevitable. I think there will be a new engine in your very near future.

Make sure you document all your dealer visits/results, in case Honda does not want to cooperate, when the time comes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting. You can obviously recreate the conditions that the knock occurs. Can you describe exactly how you're driving it (uphill, down hill, full throttle, etc.) when the knock happens? Do you feel any hesitation when this happens?

Since it's been doing it for over 1k miles, I'm assuming it's not bad gas. anti-knock sensor maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Your are not Scotty Kilmer are you, Ha Ha? The Earth Dreams DI V6 is noisy aside from the clickety nature of the DI, I swear it sometimes make the sounds of a worn belt from a Chevy v8 of the 1970's. It's not the chirp that requires a shim kit. I think I hear what sounds like the timing belt tensioner issue. It sounds like the belt is just flapping around in there. (My Odyssey did this and was told it was normal) When its cold and under light load I swear I hear a mild version of piston slap not really metal to metal though but punchy and unrefined. Almost all of these sounds I do hear on numerous videos of MDX's and RL's and Pilots I have viewed. It's all probably just normal and if it lasts I'm good with that. As long as it is not a metal to metal sound I wouldn't worry. We are kind of screwed though. I wouldn't want them opening up an engine and putting it back together. Heck some of them can't even remove a seat without creating damage. It's probably better to leave it alone unless something breaks.

By comparison, my 14 Accord Earth Dreams non DI V6 sounds and feels buttery smooth and just slightly off when VCM and torque converter lock/unlock occurs. And the Earth Dreams 2.4 sounds like a quiet diesel.

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E SGP
10 Posts
I'm hearing the "knock", generally at low rpm's, under lite loads, when just taking off or moving out of a parking space. If I hold the brake and slightly depress the gas peddle it is very noticeable. Just about to turn 1000 miles on my new RTL. To the dealer next week. Concerned about the knock and not happy with the vibration when the VCM drops to 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not uncommon to hear light knocks in the lower rpm range with modern cars. That sound is standard for most VW's. My GTI made the same light knock for 100k miles. I don't know if the Honda should make that sound but I'm not concerned.

Your last post does sound like a concern. Knock under load is typically detonation. Why a new car would detonate is beyond me. Bad fuel, timing is off, early carbon build, all unlikely.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting. You can obviously recreate the conditions that the knock occurs. Can you describe exactly how you're driving it (uphill, down hill, full throttle, etc.) when the knock happens? Do you feel any hesitation when this happens?

Since it's been doing it for over 1k miles, I'm assuming it's not bad gas. anti-knock sensor maybe?

Maybe the anti-knock sensor. Run some premium gas for a few tanks and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same knock, light load 1000 to 2000. Also started at about 500 miles.The knock gets a little better after it has been running about 20 minutes. I think its Timing belt slap. RGH did you ever figure out what it was?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Engine knock under light load.

Has anyone noticed a slight knocking when lightly accelerating from a stop? Between 1000 & 1500 rpm. Windows must be up, no radio, no fan. Worse during first 5 minutes of driving. This knock can also be duplicated when in drive, foot on the brake and give it a little gas, 1000 to 1500 rpm. This knock developed at abItout 800 miles. Dealer says its normal (BS). If all you guys have a slight knock I won't worry too much right now.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Engine knock under light load.

Has anyone noticed a slight knocking when lightly accelerating from a stop? Between 1000 & 1500 rpm. Windows must be up, no radio, no fan. Worse during first 5 minutes of driving. This knock can also be duplicated when in drive, foot on the brake and give it a little gas, 1000 to 1500 rpm. This knock developed at abItout 800 miles. Dealer says its normal (BS). If all you guys have a slight knock I won't worry too much right now.
Thanks!!
A knock, if it is a knock, is not normal. Try another dealer.

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E SGP
10 Posts

I'm hearing the "knock", generally at low rpm's, under lite loads, when just taking off or moving out of a parking space. If I hold the brake and slightly depress the gas peddle it is very noticeable. Just about to turn 1000 miles on my new RTL. Appointment with the dealer later this week. Concerned about the knock and not happy with the vibration when the VCM drops to 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Let us know what your dealer says. I think it may be a week timing belt tensioner or a defective belt. I checked the noise up on my lift under light load it definitely is coming from the timing belt side.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.