Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
3,711 Posts
(1)It is NOT normal if everyone does not have the Knock and some do.
(2)The noise has developed after the vehicle has a few hundred miles on it.
Did you take a look at the videos in the other threads? If so is that what you have?. To me it sounds like piston slap or rod knock but it goes away with RPM and I am no expert. I bet that the average RL driver has the radio on and wouldn't hear the "knock." I only noticed it initially when backing up my inclined driveway with the window down but now I can focus on it. I am hoping that it is just a characteristic of the engine but if it is a problem it will get worse over time. Even if a dealer gives a brand new engine I have no confidence in them fixing it correctly. My sister has a 17 MDX and when I get a chance to drive it, I want to see if I can isolate that noise at 1100 rpm.

· Registered
196 Posts
I have heard the engine knock in my RL at around 1000 kms and few times here and there at light loads. Since then I am running 89 or 91 and I have issues.

I sold my TL 3.7 just because of this knocking issue. It had really loud knocking issue and Acura won't help.

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
A year ago, I posted in a thread that my brand new Ridgeline made a knocking sound at low RPM and light loads for several seconds to a minute or two after startup. At first, it seemed to only occur in the morning, but later appeared after restarting the warm engine. It didn't do it in neutral or park either idling or revving the engine. I'm very sensitive to noises, but this is one that was loud enough for passengers to hear and to embarrass me. I never had anything done about it. Over the last year and 13,000 miles, it seems to have disappeared along with the fuel pump chirp and the steering creak. My '17 Si has lots of tire, engine, and exhaust noise and rides as stiff as a stale Subway sandwich, yet it's got fewer rattles than my Ridgeline did when it was new. :)

· Registered
196 Posts
Did you take a look at the videos in the other threads? If so is that what you have?. To me it sounds like piston slap or rod knock but it goes away with RPM and I am no expert. I bet that the average RL driver has the radio on and wouldn't hear the "knock." I only noticed it initially when backing up my inclined driveway with the window down but now I can focus on it. I am hoping that it is just a characteristic of the engine but if it is a problem it will get worse over time. Even if a dealer gives a brand new engine I have no confidence in them fixing it correctly. My sister has a 17 MDX and when I get a chance to drive it, I want to see if I can isolate that noise at 1100 rpm.
I have the same issue now I noticed. Any luck. I also used mid grade gas. I will change the gas brand next fill to check if it still does it.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
I have the same issue now I noticed. Any luck. I also used mid grade gas. I will change the gas brand next fill to check if it still does it.
It's still there but very subtle but happens every time, just not what I would expect from a Honda engine. I don't think it's getting worse, at 4900 miles now. I'll be doing the first oil change soon and I'll take an optimistic leap forward and hope that it will squelch the noise.

It's not the easiest noise to pick up if you are not looking for it but it's definintely there. I'm sure you are very tuned in since you had an engine noise issue on your Acura and this one may have initially escaped you as well. Between this and the mushy brakes, I will most likely move on to something else whenever it comes along.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
It's still there but very subtle but happens every time, just not what I would expect from a Honda engine. I don't think it's getting worse, at 4900 miles now. I'll be doing the first oil change soon and I'll take an optimistic leap forward and hope that it will squelch the noise.

It's not the easiest noise to pick up if you are not looking for it but it's definintely there. I'm sure you are very tuned in since you had an engine noise issue on your Acura and this one may have initially escaped you as well. Between this and the mushy brakes, I will most likely move on to something else whenever it comes along.
Have they scoped or checked the engine for any damage? I hate to say it but every thread and forum I read on DI engines there's a lot of complaining about the noise. It might just have to be one of those things we have to live with, which is hard since I'm OCD about these things.
If nothing else you should see if they will further back your engine by extending the warranty.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
Have they scoped or checked the engine for any damage? I hate to say it but every thread and forum I read on DI engines there's a lot of complaining about the noise. It might just have to be one of those things we have to live with, which is hard since I'm OCD about these things.
If nothing else you should see if they will further back your engine by extending the warranty.
I am not planning on bringing it in for this unless something breaks or it gets worse to a point where they wouldn't have the option to tell me it's normal. Besides, what's the fix? A short block? I have no confidence that the repair wouldn't create more problems. I'm hoping it's a normal noise.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
If you think the noise on the RL is bad you should here the new Tacomas. My 2016 was almost as loud as my Harley (which sounds like a sewing machine between my legs).

· Registered
9 Posts
I finally had time to start dealing with the knocking noise. The dealer has had my truck for two days they have recorded the knocking noise and contacted Honda tech services their reply was that the noise is normal. I called BS on that answer. ( I have a friend with a new RL no knocking at all) both Honda techs at the dealership agree with me. The dealership head manager has contacted Honda saying the noise is not normal. Now Honda has come back and said they would like to keep the truck and pay for my car rental until the problem is resolved.
Has anyone else had any luck getting his issue resolved??

· Registered
3,711 Posts
I finally had time to start dealing with the knocking noise. The dealer has had my truck for two days they have recorded the knocking noise and contacted Honda tech services their reply was that the noise is normal. I called BS on that answer. ( I have a friend with a new RL no knocking at all) both Honda techs at the dealership agree with me. The dealership head manager has contacted Honda saying the noise is not normal. Now Honda has come back and said they would like to keep the truck and pay for my car rental until the problem is resolved. Has anyone else had any luck getting his issue resolved??
I haven't noticed it much this summer but occasionally I can pick out the noise when lightly pulling off. It only happens at a small rpm range like 1100-1200 and light throttle but under a load. I changed the oil this week and haven't heard it yet purposefully trying to recreate and nothing, fingers crossed. I used Mobil 1 0W-20 and an A01 filter. The engine altogether sounds smidge more smooth or feels more cushioned. The good thing is that it isn't getting worse. At about 5800 miles, don't drive it much (daughter in London this semester so I'll run her CRV into the ground). Whatever happens, I'm stuck with it unless something breaks. Please keep us posted what happen with your case. I've never seen Honda fix anything unless it's recalled or broken.

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
I wonder if this could be related to the knock...

Stumbling across the judder issue has revealed some additional concerns. This one, in particular, caught my eye. Remember some of us who have experienced engine knocking?

"TECH LINE SUMMARY ARTICLE - WE’RE GETTING REPORTS OF REDUCED ENGINE POWER WITH THE MIL ON. SERVICE TECHS ARE SEEING DTC P0369 (CMP SENSOR CIRCUIT INTERMITTENT INTERRUPTION) AND SIGNS OF EXCESSIVE CAMSHAFT END PLAY. FROM OUR INVESTIGATION, WE’VE FOUND THAT THE CAMSHAFT THRUST COVER SURFACE ROUGHNESS IS OUT OF SPEC. TO REDUCE END PLAY, SOME TECHS ARE REPLACING THE CAMSHAFT THRUST COVER. BUT EVENTUALLY, THE CAMSHAFT WILL JUST MACHINE THE THRUST COVER AGAIN, RESULTING IN FURTHER EXCESSIVE END PLAY."

· Registered
196 Posts
I started noticing this knock when I had less than 1000 kms on my truck. Then I started using premium gas which reduced it significantly. I also started hearing transmission ticking when gear changes at around 2000 kms and then VCM vibrations started at 10000kms. They got really worse after 12000 kms. With all these issues and back & fourth at Dealership no resolution I was so frustrated with this vehicle that I was ready to trade it in

BUT then I installed VCMuzzler at 13000 kms as the last attempt to all this and I am glad that I did and should have installed it when I bought the vehicle. Being a Mechanical Engineer myself I was very skeptical about this VCMuzzler when I heard about it last year August and did not want to use it as I thought Honda Engineers would have figured it out by now as I was not even noticing the VCM kick in but NO they didn't :-(
Issues fixed
1# No more Engine knocking. It was related to VCM now I am using regular fuel and haven't heard it even once :)
2# transmission solenoid tick is gone. It was actually not related to transmission but to VCM
3# No vibrations or hesitations what so ever
4# No more oil burning as I lost a quart by 8000 kms at my first oil change but now no change at 19000 kms
no noticeable mpg drop as my transmission stays in larger gear longer as engine always have the power of 6 cylinders. Much more responsive than before. No weird VCM noices any more . it is worth it guys buy yourself a muzzler you will thank me for this.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
I started noticing this knock when I had less than 1000 kms on my truck. Then I started using premium gas which reduced it significantly. I also started hearing transmission ticking when gear changes at around 2000 kms and then VCM vibrations started at 10000kms. They got really worse after 12000 kms. With all these issues and back & fourth at Dealership no resolution I was so frustrated with this vehicle that I was ready to trade it in

BUT then I installed VCMuzzler at 13000 kms as the last attempt to all this and I am glad that I did and should have installed it when I bought the vehicle. Being a Mechanical Engineer myself I was very skeptical about this VCMuzzler when I heard about it last year August and did not want to use it as I thought Honda Engineers would have figured it out by now as I was not even noticing the VCM kick in but NO they didn't :-(
Issues fixed
1# No more Engine knocking. It was related to VCM now I am using regular fuel and haven't heard it even once :)
2# transmission solenoid tick is gone. It was actually not related to transmission but to VCM
3# No vibrations or hesitations what so ever
4# No more oil burning as I lost a quart by 8000 kms at my first oil change but now no change at 19000 kms
no noticeable mpg drop as my transmission stays in larger gear longer as engine always have the power of 6 cylinders. Much more responsive than before. No weird VCM noices any more . it is worth it guys buy yourself a muzzler you will thank me for this.
Couldn't agree more, I was super skeptical as well, but what a difference it makes. Honda really. Reds to give up on VCM, and just let us enjoy our v6.

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
I remain intrigued by how some people such as myself struggle to detect VCM operation while others complain of noises and vibrations significant enough that they believe something is wrong with the vehicle. Surely, there isn't enough tolerance from one vehicle to the next to cause such difference. There've been no TSBs or Honda Service News articles on the subject to date.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E SGP
10 Posts
RGH Did you ever get the "engine knock" issue resolved? Has it gotten worse? I first noticed a knock as you described on my 2017 RTL around 1000 miles, took it to dealer and was told "normal for that engine". Dosen't do it all the time, but on resent trip to North Carolina Mtns. it was much more pronounced, almost always at low rpm's when first starting off, engine warm after driving, especially on incline or under load. Now have 5000 miles. A couple passengers have noticed it and commented "that dosen't sound right". Unfortunately, it does it intermittently and not sure if I can reproduce it for dealer. What to do?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts