Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,149 Posts
My 2018 Honda Ridgeline is knocking too. To hear it best, I drive slowly up my rather steep driveway.

It didnt knock when I first bought it. This is very disappointing. I plan to take it too the dealer.
My G2 had that knock under those same conditions (steep driveway), until I installed the Muzzler II. Not promoting the product, just stating the facts.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E SGP
10 Posts
I have the Muzzler II installed, have changed oil to Mobile 1 0w20 syn, tried different gas suppliers, even ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it - still have the "knock". Many times, but not always, I can recreate/cause the "knock" if I hold the brake and lightly press the gas peddle.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
Unfortunately, mine is still there. Difficult to duplicate and I am frustrated so much so that I don't turn on the radio anymore, just trying to isolate the sound. I don't drive the truck much 6700 miles after 1 year of ownership. It is so inconsistent. To be clear, it is not the valve noises driving on a cold V6 and it is not the DI clicking. They all seem to make the valve noise until warmed up. This is more a bottom end noise. Sometimes I think it's transmission because I recently noticed a chatter when off the gas and coasting from like 25 to rolling and it sounded similar to the knock. This is different than the solenoid noise. I don't think it's the engine because rod knock or piston slap never goes away from what I read. It could be with the software that runs the engine or exhaust in the manifold area or engine mount? Sometimes I think it is gas because it was doing it right before I filled it up, no more noise but then it reappears, really strange. I don't think it is VCM because it happens in non VCM conditions. Others have said that gas doesn't make a difference. Too many of us seem to have this issue so I'm just going to assume again that it is a characteristic of the DI drivetrain because most of the time it sounds normal and feels smooth. This is my 4th V6 but first DI V6. Unless there is a code or someone posts that a dealer fixed the issue, it's up to Honda. Since it's not a safety issue and I question Honda's commitment to the 3.5 V6 I thinking we are SOL until something breaks. I much prefer the sounds that my Accord V6 (non DI makes). I have a feeling that most folks wouldn't care about this noise or even notice it.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,149 Posts
Interesting video about the new Civic Type R gear grind. We will have the same problem convincing Honda we have an engine knock. It took them 6 years to acknowledge the manual transmission in the Civic SI would inexplicably pop out of third gear. By then the cars were out of warranty - dubious timing.

Reactions: 14v6

· Registered
3,711 Posts
With a low volume seller like the RL and with an even fewer amount of complaints, I would guess zero help from Honda. My last 3 Honda purchases all have nagging problems so the question is will I pay the price by switching brands or just lower expectations.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E SGP
10 Posts
14v6 You may have a point about it possibly being transmission related. I think I've heard the "knock" only when in drive or reverse (not park or neutral, even when increasing the rpm's). I'll have to play around with that idea over the next few days.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
14v6 You may have a point about it possibly being transmission related. I think I've heard the "knock" only when in drive or reverse (not park or neutral, even when increasing the rpm's). I'll have to play around with that idea over the next few days.
Yeah no load on the engine in neutral though. Piston slap and valve knock can happen in neutral though. I've even tried to get it to 1100 rpm in a gear other than 1st to hear it but that's bot easy to do. Someone once mentioned flex plate (flywheel) bolts but who knows. Since it's so inconsistent I'm at a loss.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same knocking conditions under a slight load at around 1000 rpm. Had the truck into the local dealership and they did the belt tensioner thing as well as drop the oil pan and re torque the bearings. The engine is noisier now than before.

Honda Canada is advising the dealer that they are looking into the problem and in the meantime to drive the truck.

Has anyone had a "fix" for this problem ?

seems strange that nothing is working and no answers as this engine has been around for a long time and was always very good.

I'm also getting a "drone" noise that comes and goes. has anyone else experienced this ?

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
update: honda replaced engine with a new short block . the problem is still there even worse then before.
I'm told it is under review. dealer thought it maybe till vehicle is off warranty before a "fix" is found .
Sorry to hear. You've still got some time, though. Your powertrain warranty is 5 years or 100,000km (or up to 8 years or 200,000km if you bought the Honda Plus extended warranty).

· Registered
3,711 Posts
Sorry the short block didn't solve this issue. I still have the noise, at around 9k now and will do the second oil change shortly will try a different brand synthetic this time around. The noise doesn't happen all the time and is still very inconsistent but when it occurs, it is noticeable and definitely can feel a vibration. Definitely not getting worse so far. I just don't think it's an engine issue it's a software or trans issue that occurs when a certain set of conditions have been met. If I had to guess, I think its a byproduct of the ECU and a cylinder or two is slightly out of whack (leaning out) in a certain set of conditions, not enough to throw a code. Hot or cold engine, winter or summer do not matter. There are not a bunch of low speed hills around here but the easiest way to duplicate is on an inclined driveway in reverse and keep the rpm's around 1100-1200. All of our Hondas have their quirks, the Accord has VCM vibrations in the winter, 15 CRV has exhaust rattles at certain rpm's 09 CRV is a buzzy shaky workhorse and the RL has this. All minor, IMO so far.

· Registered
58 Posts
I remain intrigued by how some people such as myself struggle to detect VCM operation while others complain of noises and vibrations significant enough that they believe something is wrong with the vehicle. Surely, there isn't enough tolerance from one vehicle to the next to cause such difference. There've been no TSBs or Honda Service News articles on the subject to date.
I will tell you this. I am sensitive to noises in my vehicles. My 2017 Ridgeline has 72k and I detected no issues with VCM until 2k miles ago. I know have the knocking noise and some hesitation. It's upsetting.

· Registered
283 Posts
Try removing the serpentine belt and flip so it will run in the opposite direction. Sometimes the belt seams can cause a chirp-knock when they run over the tensioner pulleys. If the seam is not completely seamless it can make the tensioner bounce and the belt knock or chirp on re contact.

· Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar knock, it was easy to recognize when it echoed off a building like say in a drive through window at a fast food place. It got progressively worse.

My Ridgeline had the rear cam shaft replaced a couple of months ago. Now I have the same issue and the dealer is replacing the front cam shaft. Just sounds weird. I am going to trade the vehicle soon, as I don't want to be dealing with this anymore.

· Registered
10 Posts
I got the truck back from the dealer and they did replace the front camshaft and cover. Turns out there is a service bulletin on the issue and the camshaft came in a kit with the cover and some other small parts. So far so good but I have only had the truck back since Saturday.

· Registered
4 Posts
Ok...so it’s my first post! I have a 2020 sport with around 1100 miles on the clock now. Since around the 400 mile mark I have noticed a knock under load around 1000-1600 rpm range. There is no noise in park/neutral. I took it back to 3 dealerships and all said the noise was normal. It was driving me nuts so I decided to do some problem solving of my own. I found that with the serpentine belt removed the knock almost completely goes away. This frustrated me so I took it back to the 3rd dealership and they replaced the tensioner assembly and the knock is still there and seems to be getting worse! After searching the other forums I came across a thread on the Odyclub forum that was started in 2017 and is still ongoing to this day related to the EXACT same symptoms/noise I am experiencing! It appears that after 2 years Honda has not come up with a fix. After a call back to the first dealer, I was told Honda is aware of the “bottom end” noise and is working on a fix. Is anyone else experiencing this noise on their Ridgeline?

· Registered
3,711 Posts
Yep, it's normal. I had it on my Ridgeline and under the exact same conditions, even just brake torque it in gear at like 1200 RPM's and it rears its ugly head. I traded in the RL for a Passport and guess what it does the same thing just a bit more muted from inside the cabin. I was frustrated and obsessed with the noise and it kind of ruined my ownership experience with the Ridgeline. Now that I know it's a normal noise I hope that you can get past this otherwise you will be miserable. In the 4 years I had my RL the noise never worsened.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts