Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new member but a longtime Ridgeline owner.
My 2008 Ridgeline RT was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. 215,000 and never a major issue.
My New 2021 Ridgeline Sport with Roof Rack and Running boards seems to be the perfect replacement.
Unfortunately, with less than 300 miles I’ve noticed a slight engine knock at low rpms, going from a dead stop at slow speeds up hill etc.
Trying to figure out if it’s an engine noise, a vibration, or exhaust related.
I duplicated it for a Honda tech and set up an appointment to have it looked at.
Also, am going to drive another exact model to see if it reacts the same.
I’ve used the ROC website for many years but just recently joined. I have always found the members suggestions to be spot on and helpful.
A second issue seems to be with the roof rack and crossbars. (Possible wind noise or rear tire noise seems excessive).
I will try to remove the crossbars and see if there’s a difference.
Will definitely get my issues documented from the dealer, but appreciate any input from the ROC members.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you're talking about a knock at low rpm (1100 ish) under a light load it's normal. If they open up your engine that could lead to other noises. I say this because I traded in my Ridgeline due to this noise, gripes about rear legroom and seating position, a low brake pedal and great resale value. I got a Passport and it makes the exact same noise in the same spots. It's not the transmission as I went for a 6 speed to a 9 speed. I was obsessed and frustrated with this noise, couldn't get past it, hardly used the radio so I could listen for it. took it to the dealer etc. I suggest you just live with it or you're not going to be a happy camper.

Regarding the wind noise all you can do is look to make sure that the arrows on the crossbars align with the dimples on the roof rails and make sure the rails are oriented properly. I have read some stuff about wrapping the crossbar with a bungee to break up the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're talking about a knock at low rpm (1100 ish) under a light load it's normal. If they open up your engine that could lead to other noises. I say this because I traded in my Ridgeline due to this noise, gripes about rear legroom and seating position, a low brake pedal and great resale value. I got a Passport and it makes the exact same noise in the same spots. It's not the transmission as I went for a 6 speed to a 9 speed. I was obsessed and frustrated with this noise, couldn't get past it, hardly used the radio so I could listen for it. took it to the dealer etc. I suggest you just live with it or you're not going to be a happy camper.

Regarding the wind noise all you can do is look to make sure that the arrows on the crossbars align with the dimples on the roof rails and make sure the rails are oriented properly. I have read some stuff about wrapping the crossbar with a bungee to break up the noise.
Thanks for the advice.
You are right about hardly using the radio just to listen for the engine knock.
I moved the roof rails from the dimples to the wide position and the wind noise changed.
Probably will keep the appointment with the dealer and jump through the hoop of doing another test drive, however, I won’t let them crack open the engine (just diagnose).
If nothing comes up I am certain I will be able to put many miles on the new Ridgeline.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 ridgeline sport (platinum white pearl)
58 Posts
I’m a new member but a longtime Ridgeline owner.
My 2008 Ridgeline RT was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. 215,000 and never a major issue.
My New 2021 Ridgeline Sport with Roof Rack and Running boards seems to be the perfect replacement.
Unfortunately, with less than 300 miles I’ve noticed a slight engine knock at low rpms, going from a dead stop at slow speeds up hill etc.
Trying to figure out if it’s an engine noise, a vibration, or exhaust related.
I duplicated it for a Honda tech and set up an appointment to have it looked at.
Also, am going to drive another exact model to see if it reacts the same.
I’ve used the ROC website for many years but just recently joined. I have always found the members suggestions to be spot on and helpful.
A second issue seems to be with the roof rack and crossbars. (Possible wind noise or rear tire noise seems excessive).
I will try to remove the crossbars and see if there’s a difference.
Will definitely get my issues documented from the dealer, but appreciate any input from the ROC members.
Thanks

I have the same 21 sport as you with the roof rack and yes the wind noise went away when I took the cross bars off and as far as the engine knocking you should try getting your gas at a different spot, or ,If you use regular try a full tank of higher octane .I have driven about 7 Hondas over the last 20 years and I only use 92 octane or better and the only time I hear them knocking is when I buy gas at a no name brand gas station or when ever I use regular 87 unleaded fuel. I always do best with( BP-Amoco or Exxon) Just my opinion....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Good to have it documented with the dealer. They told me it was VCM. I gave up and didn't want to insult them as the noise didn't occur during a VCM condition. In the end though at 4 years and 25k miles the noise never worsened but to this day I don't know if it's the high pressure fuel pump, something with the timing gear, motor mounts or just the resonance of the engine. My V6 Accord and 2 other non VCM Odysseys of the past were quiet gems, felt so precise compared to direct injection. The noise never occurred on a cold engine and there were several MDX videos out there with the noise with no resolution. I tried switching oils and maybe it's in my mind but out of Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Penzoil, I thought Penzoil helped a smidge. Super unleaded didn't make a difference. In the Passport it's barely noticeable probably because of better sound insulation.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
176 Posts
I test drove another ridge WITHOUT a roof rack and was impressed. But the one i bought had a rack. On the way home at higher speeds the cross rail noise drove me crazy, and I moved them more to the front, it was worse! I took the cross rails off, now all is quiet, and the cross rails are for sale!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same 21 sport as you with the roof rack and yes the wind noise went away when I took the cross bars off and as far as the engine knocking you should try getting your gas at a different spot, or ,If you use regular try a full tank of higher octane .I have driven about 7 Hondas over the last 20 years and I only use 92 octane or better and the only time I hear them knocking is when I buy gas at a no name brand gas station or when ever I use regular 87 unleaded fuel. I always do best with( BP-Amoco or Exxon) Just my opinion....
Thanks,
Originally, I thought the excessive noise was from my rear tires or splash guards but read other posts and moved the crossbars to the wide position and the noise changed.
I’ll drive a week or so then decide whether to remove the crossbars or live with it.
I‘ll play around with bumping up the octane but will test drive another Ridgeline and most likely decide the slight knock is the nature of the beast.
(maybe I’ll get Honda to bump up the 5/50,000 to 10/100,000)
My 2008 Ridgeline had a torque converter shutter at 48mph. I put 200,000 miles on it and never had an issue (Honda determined it was the nature of the beast on Ridgelines/Pilots of that era.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I test drove another ridge WITHOUT a roof rack and was impressed. But the one i bought had a rack. On the way home at higher speeds the cross rail noise drove me crazy, and I moved them more to the front, it was worse! I took the cross rails off, now all is quiet, and the cross rails are for sale!!!
Thanks,
The roof rack was more decorative than functional for me. I’ll probably end up removing the cross rails and storing them just in case.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
41 Posts
I’ve noticed a slight engine knock at low rpms, going from a dead stop at slow speeds up hill etc.
It's not the auto start/stop kicking in when you hit the gas by chance? I thought my tranny was acting up until I figured out what it was. Just a slight stumble while the engine turned over and fired back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts