Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has 177,xxx miles on it and this morning, out of no where, it started knocking. The knock speeds up/slows down with engine noise but never goes away. I have read everything from "it's normal", which I know it isn't, to "hydraulic timing belt tensioner" and that the engine needs replacement.
I am planning on trying the tensioner first thing tomorrow, but if anyone has had this issue and knows what it is please let me know asap.

Link to the video: http://youtu.be/8hXbJercSBU

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
Have you tried answering it?

Gee whiz. That sounds awful. Is there a drop of oil left in it? It reminds me of the sounds made by engines as they were killed during the Cash for Clunkers program in 2009. That was truly heart wrenching hearing the sounds of engines as they were euthanized.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Check all fluid levels.
Check for loose spark plugs, especially #4 and #5.

Chip H.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sounds like a valve adjustment is in order....

Like others have said... watch out for Cyl 4 & 5...

No check engine light?
When 4 & 5 went out on mine there was no check engine light... until after the fact...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil and coolant levels are both fine, and there aren't any metallic sparkles/flakes in the oil.
Spark plugs are fine, no check engine lights, valves were adjusted 3-5k ago.

And yes, awful...I'm at a complete loss because everything seems like it's in working order aside from the knocking.
It has developed a slight squeak now, the link to the new video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LpWq520Lsg

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You were going to get the hydraulic timing belt tensioner replaced today? How did that go. Especially with the "squeak" you said has started, I'd suspect that may solve your problem for you. Good Luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Time to get it towed to your mechanic. From the sound, prepare for something expensive.

Chip H.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That noise is WAY too fast to be any single individual valve or camshaft issue, it has to be something that is moving at the speed of the engine crankshaft.

I've spent countless hours listening to my engine and noises associated with it, and my best guess is it's the hydraulic tensioner.

This is what a bad tensioner looks and sounds like. If you were to put your hand at the rear of this tensioner while the engine was running, you would feel the noise you hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nLXreoHHKQ

I would be very careful in touching anything in this area while it's running if you have the timing belt covers off. If you just pull the front passenger wheel off, you will still be able to touch the back of the tensioner as it pokes out from the timing belt cover.

A bad one visually moves around while the engine runs, as you can see from the video. A good one won't move ( you won't be able to see this movement with the covers on so you will just have to rely on touching the back of it).

Here is a video of my tensioner that is working properly. Notice the difference in movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsANBYN4_A

My noise is also slightly slower which tells me it's something to do with an individual valve or camshaft...or piston :(

Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,

I'm sorry I haven't been back here in awhile, somehow my email notifications weren't working.

The timing belt tensioner solved the issue. It turns out that the one that was in there was defective/completely let loose which made the sound heard in the first video. I have never seen anything like this before, surprised it sounded the way it did as usually it should be more distinct.

I will update the privacy settings on the youtube video incase someone has a similar issue they want to compare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts