Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have a 2014 Ridgeline. For a few weeks now, I hear a whining noise every time I turn off the engine. It seems to be the power steering pump. The engine purrs other than when I turn off the engine. I don't have any steering problems nor any noise when I turn the wheel. I see no posts regarding this.
Does anyone have an idea? I don't want to change the power steering pump and it not correct the problem.
Thank you
Damon

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,399 Posts
How many miles on your Ridgeline? Have you changed the power steering fluid? I change mine every 50k-ish miles.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Changing the power steering fluid is a cheap and easy first thing to do. We had one member here replace an alternator thinking that was the source of the whine he was hearing. Later on found it was simply dirty power steering fluid.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
I'll do that this weekend.
Thank you!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
Yea, @dhitchner at that many miles and age, I'd start with a full change of the PS Fluid also, Since about 20k miles, I've done a suck and fill of the reservoir every OCI, but late last fall I didn't like the way it looked, Then over the winter (I know winter in So. Cal) it was making some noise on cold mornings, 35°. I've since acquired all the parts (new reservoir & extra fluid) and will change it and the 2 o-rings at maybe 110k/15.25 years

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thank you Speedlever for these previous posts. I am not using good/efficient search terms as you to find these jewel posts. Wish I could get better with the search engine.
By chance, did you cross any posts that shares how to swap the entire power steering rack and pinion in a first gen Ridge with new one?
I am thinking it will take 3, or 4 bottles of Honda powering steering fluid to refill the entire system?
I would like to put in a power steering filter similar to a CARDONE 200012F {#20FLT3} Magna-Pure Inline Filter, but unsure which hose to splice it into and what the diameter would to choose the correct CARDONE. Any thoughts or suggestions. Value and appreciate your time. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Sorry, no info on replacing the power steering rack and pinion other than what's in the FSM.

The PS fluid capacity for the 06-08 is:

Here's a diagram that will show the way the PS hoses run:

RL power steering fluid capacity.png RL power steering assembly.png

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow, Thank you Speedlever!!! Really appreciate your time to look up, copy, and post. You make a difference.

Look at the system diagram, would you put in a power steering fluid filter in the return hose or pump inlet hose? Any guess what ID of either hose would be?
I realize there is a screen in the reservoir. The power steering fluid filter I am looking at has a magnetic screen filter that can be taken out an cleaned. I working and PMing the Ridge to hit 750K miles and don't want to do this again :) Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
No opinion on that filter. The PS reservoir is only about $20-ish bucks and easy to change. The PS fluid is also very easy to change. Personally, I'd just be proactive in changing the fluid (and do about every 50k-ish miles). I replaced the reservoir on the Pilot because it looked pretty dirty. Again, very simple process to change both the reservoir and the fluid and avoids any kind of issues that might arise from an improper installation of that inline filter you mention.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Value your wisdom Speedlever. You are correct about the reservoir, just looked it up on RockAuto, DORMAN Part Number #603709, under $14 plus shipping. Will use your advice and change out fluid and reservoir. Thank you for your time to reply.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, I am one of the "old" guys. Thank you Speedlever. Value and appreciate all you do for the forum. Had no clue I was #253. Ball park, how many members total today?
I joined the forum March 05, a few months before I bought my 06 Ridgeline, May of 05 if memory serves me correctly, purchasing at Apple Tree Honda in Asheville, NC. I truly enjoyed reading and listening to the wisdom and input from "Cismo", Joe. I wonder what he is up to these days and if he drops in from time to time? Do you talk with him?

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
I haven't seen or heard from Joe in a long time. I believe he no longer owns a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I haven't seen or heard from Joe in a long time. I believe he no longer owns a Ridgeline.
I wondered. Yes, I was aware he got rid of his 2014 SE Ridge. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
@carolinaridgeline looking up @csimo looks like he hasn't been the forum in about 8 months. I know he did some type of "test drive" of some other vehicle, he wrote it up and posted it maybe a year or so ago, and I believe that led him to decide to purchase a sedan iirc.

Your one of the few who are still around with a number lower than myself, 811...

the most recent member is #185,311, several join daily to spam the site so the current membership number/count is 55,000 +/-

·
Registered
645 Posts
Good Morning Carsmak,

Thank you for sharing about Cismo, if memory serves me correctly, an Altima? Would not have guessed I, like you and Speedlever being around so long. Would we be considered "old timers"? :)

Value and appreciate all you guys do to support us and rid the forum of trolls and spammers. Wow, would not have even guessed close, as to the number of memberships.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 18 of 18 Posts