Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight the ridgeline developed a problem when on the gas. When trying to acclerate slowly, around 2000rpm, the engine would shake. It's as if the carbs were not adjusted correctly. That's the best I can describe it. Or actually, if you have ever had a problem with the MAP sensor in your other Hondas you will know what I mean. I've also tried to accelerate aggresively to redline. From time to time when I do this, it will have dead spots in the power band.

Now, I think it's bad gas because my wife put gas in and after that it started to do this. She got gas from a Shell station.

Thoughts?

If it's bad gas, would there be a problem just driving the tank? or should I drain it?

L

·
0 Posts
I always use Shell or Sunoco and I have never had a problem like that. Hmmmm? :confused:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well she actually uses this particular shell often and have not had any problems before.

There are three things I can think of:
DBW problem
MAF sensor problem
Bad gas

I might just drain the or something...
sucks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Occasionally, I encounter the same problem during part throttle acceleration. Very subtle but it can be felt. My TSX would also do this. The type of gas I use does not make a difference.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BamaRidge said:
Occasionally, I encounter the same problem during part throttle acceleration. Very subtle but it can be felt. My TSX would also do this. The type of gas I use does not make a difference.

Hrmm... the connect between TSX and the Ridgeline is the drive by wire. Odd.

Well, The last tank we had before this was a tank of premium from another shell. Weird. I hope the truck isn't addicted to the premium.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don' t know if it helps, but our MDX developed a problem with the EGR valve -- it felt to me like the engine was hesitating or skipping, and it took quite awhile before I could get anyone else to feel it. But I mostly felt it while deaccelerating...

·
Registered
460 Posts
shingles, could be dirt in the tank burning through the injectors. the station could have been near the bottom on its storage tank, causing moisture and dirt to be pumped during fill up. i suggest you do not drain the gas but wait till its at the half tank mark and refill, possibly with premium just this one time.
another thing, i would not recommend using premium gas on a regular basis as premium burns at higher temps and can cause engine damage if used regularly. sensors may also be affected which can definately affect engine performance. the rl is not designed to burn higher octane fuels. anyway, i would start out simply by getting this gas diluted to see if engine runs better. maybe even wait till at 1/4 tank so as to dilute better but i would think atleast wait till at the 1/2 tank mark.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use premium even at these times of higher gas prices.
Tried regular when premium gas hit $3.15 per gallon, but only got 16mpg (my worst tank). Regular was $3.00. So I pay about 5% more for gas but get about 7 to 9% better gas mileage !?!?

I enjoy the added torque of premium so I feel it's worth it to pay the price;-)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
moonkat said:
I use premium even at these times of higher gas prices.
Tried regular when premium gas hit $3.15 per gallon, but only got 16mpg (my worst tank). Regular was $3.00. So I pay about 5% more for gas but get about 7 to 9% better gas mileage !?!?

I enjoy the added torque of premium so I feel it's worth it to pay the price;-)
That's not so bad on a tank of gas. On a fill up of 20 gal, (2.85/regular) you would have paid 2.80 more for a tank to gain 1.5 mpg more, for a total of 385 miles for a tank of gas (22 gal). So that extra 1.5 gained you an extra 33 miles more than what you have gotten using regular gas. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to pump out the gas from the filler atleast try to get 10 gallons worth. And then go fill up with different gas.

Regarding premium: It's not so much that it burns hotter/higher temp, it's that it can resist the combustion till a higher temp. This is critical on high compression engines because higher compression causes higher temp. Using premium would be mostly a waste of money in the Ridgeline because you are right that it was designed to run on 87. But it won't damage the engine (unless it's bad gas like what I have gotten).

·
Registered
218 Posts
You nailed it Shingles. No more "power" in Premium, just ignites later so it works best in more powerful engines (that were designed to use it).

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shingles said:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Regarding premium: It's not so much that it burns hotter/higher temp, it's that it can resist the combustion till a higher temp. This is critical on high compression engines because higher compression causes higher temp. Using premium would be mostly a waste of money in the Ridgeline because you are right that it was designed to run on 87. But it won't damage the engine (unless it's bad gas like what I have gotten).
The Ridge was not designed to use any specific octane. It's electronic ignition/timing system was designed to run at an optimum setting for what ever octane is used. This is a very common misconception. While premium/higher octane gas has slightly less energy stored per unit volume than a lesser octane gas this loss can be overcome by advancing the timing which the Ridge does automatically and the outcome is a more/efficient output than a lesser octane gas. A powertrain control module (PCM) examines various engine functions as well as a block-mounted acoustic knock sensor to determine optimum ignition timing. The difference in the RidgeLine engine, which is the same as the MDX, between regular and premium is 10HP at the peak of the horse power curve which is near WOT. This is the reason the MDX is rated at 265HP and the Ridge at 255 because the MDX is rated using premium and the Ridge at regular (using old SAE standards). If you're always crusing around at 2000 rpm using premium is going to be a waste of money as there is not much difference in the lower band of the horse power curve. If you're towing or like to goose it and ride at high rpms you'll start to notice the 10HP difference, thus the reason the manual says to use premium when towing. Believe me or not, like it or not, this is what is actually happening.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vertrkr said:
The Ridge was not designed to use any specific octane. It's electronic ignition/timing system was designed to run at an optimum setting for what ever octane is used. This is a very common misconception. While premium/higher octane gas has slightly less energy stored per unit volume than a lesser octane gas this loss can be overcome by advancing the timing which the Ridge does automatically and the outcome is a more/efficient output than a lesser octane gas. The difference in the RidgeLine engine, which is the same as the MDX, between regular and premium is 10HP at the peak of the horse power curve which is near WOT. This is the reason the MDX is rated at 265HP and the Ridge at 255 because the MDX is rated using premium and the Ridge at regular (using old SAE standards). If you're always crusing around at 2000 rpm using premium is going to be a waste of money as there is not much difference in the lower band of the horse power curve. If you're towing or like to goose it and ride at higher rpms you'll start to notice the 10HP difference, thus the reason the manual also says to use premium when towing. Believe me or not, like it or not, this is what is actually happening.
Well, I know I am splitting hair, but assuming there was 82(made up number) octane, the Ridgeilne wont' run as well. The base iginition timing and fuel maps were probably made with 87 as primary in mind. I suspect the ECM is programmed to advance timing as much as possible and if it detects detonation, it will back off, thus allowing it to gain power when using higher octane fuel.

Honda has published that the Ridgeline engine is not the same as the MDX. It is the same family series, but not the same. Are there other information available to suggest that it's infact the same? (just wondering)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shingles said:
Honda has published that the Ridgeline engine is not the same as the MDX. It is the same family series, but not the same. Are there other information available to suggest that it's infact the same? (just wondering)
Same engine as the '05 MDX but the rest of the power train is a bit different. Ok, shingles is technically correct the engines are not exactly the same but the difference is not relevant for this discussion. Both are from the J35A engine family and share the same dual stage air induction manifold.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
vertrkr said:
Same engine as the '05 MDX but the rest of the power train is a bit different.
Glad to see you are still "around"... For all the newbies: Vertrkr, Csimo, Kodiak are the three most trusted experts of the Ridgeline...when you see their posts, make sure you study them carefully :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Glad to see you are still "around"... For all the newbies: Vertrkr, Csimo, Kodiak are the three most trusted experts of the Ridgeline...when you see their posts, make sure you study them carefully :)
Definitely.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Vertrkr,
The torque at mid-range is also boosted with premium fuel. The entire torque band is enhanced – not just peak torque. That is why premium is recommended for towing over 3500 pounds (torque at torque converter stall speed).

It also enhances the “G” response which is what you feel in the seat of your pants. Additionally, if you run max acceleration times, you will also see an improvement. If you want to do an actual timed engineering test with traps or instrumentation, you can measure the difference.

Enjoy the ride – It is the cheapest method of power enhancement.
K

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
So very sorry. please add Mr. Shingles to the exclusive list!!!. And I mean that with all my sincerest respect. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts