Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to an overheating issue with our 08 rtl, I might be looking at an engine replacement. Has anyone here attempted that job?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,074 Posts
Overheating? I'm most interested in the cause of the truck overheating? Clogged radiator? Loss of coolant?

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's unfortunate. In the future it's a good idea to glance at your temperature gauge when you look at your speedo. As soon as it rises above normal operating temperature, pull over and turn off the car!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I posted the story on the wrong forum. Its in the 2006-2014 forum. My wife was on a trip, and all was going well. We have owned BMW's, so she knew to watch out for cooling system issues. She said the check engine light and VTM-4 light came on and noticed the temp gage reading cold. The truck started to run rough like an failed ignition coil.

long story short, the truck was towed to the Honda dealer in Bowling Green, KY. They said road debris impacted the radiator, and the engine overheated. We called State Farm and filed a claim. State Farm paid to have the truck towed to our local Honda dealer in Lexington.

They said the engine is cooked, and a used, 2008 engine with only 80k miles is not available. We are getting a remanufactured engine from ETK Engines, a subsidiary of LKQ, and a new radiator. The engine should be in on Monday, and we should have the truck back by mid week. State Farm is covering the $7k loss, minus deductible.

The ETK remanufactured engines are the supplier to all the chain parts stored such as NAPA and O'reilly's. I hope its a good one.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
> State Farm is covering the $7k loss, minus deductible.

since we are also SF customers, pray tell, how easy/hard was it to get them to pay for this and did it require any kind of special statement from the inspecting dealer to SF before they approved payment ? they treated it as any other type of road accident, as in, hitting a fallen tree, deer, moose ?

surely some level of back-channel discussions occurred, no ?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
As long as you're moving when it occurs they will pay for it. It's very important you tell them something happened while you were driving and there's nothing you could do to prepare for it. Like they won't pay if you're driving down some back road at 40 mph and run over a tree branch. But if you're driving on that same road and the branch falls as you're driving under it, it's covered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was out of town when the event happened. The dealer in Bowling Green insisted that the radiator had impact damage. My wife called our local SF insurance office. After paying to have it hauled up to Lexington, they told her to run it through the body shop since they were a special vendor, or something like that.

When I got back to town, I gave a statement to the Lexington Honda dealer body shop. I told them what the dealer in Bowling Green had said about the impact damage to the radiator. Nothing else was ever said regarding the cause of the overheating event.

They couldn't find a suitable used engine, and a new Honda shortblock and heads were expensive, so they settled on the remanufactured longblock engine from LKQ / ETK. And also a new radiator.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,074 Posts
Makes perfect sense. If the radiator is impacted and coolant drains out, the engine would slowly overheat. Unless the coolant temp sensor was also affected by something, the gauge shouldn't have been reading cold. That's a little worrisome, but you're basically getting a rebuilt engine with no miles on it for the cost of your deductible. As long as a freak accident like this one doesn't occur again, you could drive this 2008 RL for a very long time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just heard that the engine replacement on my ridgeline is underway. I'll hopefully get it back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT NEWS! We just picked up our '08 RTL with 79,800 miles on the odometer with a zero mile, remanufactured engine and new radiator. We drove it along the Kentucky back roads for 75 miles and it runs like a new truck. It is very smooth and quiet.

We are very glad to have it back. Also, thanks to a great insurance company, State Farm. The total bill was nearly $7900.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Very good news! And having most of it covered by the big boys is the cream on top!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts