Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Engine Replacement

15K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  D1ced 
#1 ·
New member - first post. If I misstep please let me know. 2006 RL with bad engine. Honda says to remove the engine from the bottom - has anyone ever taken it out the top? If so what did you run into? Also, has anyone ever put a Pilot engine in a ridgeline? All of my problems are on the bottom end - can move everything to the new engine. Can get a Pilot engine for $325 vs. $1800 for the RL engine. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
More info on the Pilot engine, what model number, or from what year

#3 ·
The Pilot engine is a J35A4 from an AWD 04. My RL has a J35A9. Just got a picture of the actual Pilot engine - the bolt pattern for the bell housing looks close (hard to tell for sure from a picture) but the mating surface is shaped a little differently at the top. I don't think it's going to work. Any thoughts on taking the engine out of the RL from the top?

#4 ·
Personally, I have no experience on removing the engine. I do believe the '04 Pilot - J35A4 would be too early of an engine. I think there are a few members who are active and could better answer your questions.

Specifically check out Dopes' thread, on installing an MDX engine, there are some pictures which indicate he pulled it from the top, as it looks like he did it on his driveway.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-under-hood-performance/132474-bob-s-3-7l-m90-supercharged-build.html

#6 ·
There was a similar question asked here. Not sure what the eventual outcome was but you can ask. Try this link.

Seems you may be looking for an "AWD pilots 06-08 did not have VCM", but dont quote me on that.

#7 · (Edited)
There are differences in the Pilot engine compared to the RL J35. I think you'll want to stick with the RL J35, but I do not know the specifics. It may also have to do with the ECU and various components.

But if you're changing engines, this may be the perfect opportunity to swap in a J37 from an Acura. If I were in your shoes, this is exactly what I would be seriously investigating.

Check out this thread:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...132474-bob-s-3-7l-m90-supercharged-build.html

Towards the end, allmotormike chimes in where he put a J37 in a 2006 RL. So apparently, it can be done.

#8 ·
@Groot, any updates? New member here also, researching an engine replacement like the OP. I just bought an 06 RTL w/ misfires and no compression in at least one cylinder #5. A 3.7 is on my wish list if it's feasible in 06-08's of course. Used Ridgeline motors are expensive in comparison to other Honda 3.5's! I've read the Acura RL J35A8 engine is a more cost effective option, just not sure what kind of mods, if any, that would involve. The 3.7/J37 is my first choice - those are around the cost of a used Ridgeline/J35A9 engine anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.