Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, 06 Ridgeline 150k miles. Maybe I've just never noticed it before but my truck sounds like a sewing machine with a constant low clicking. Is this what others experience with higher mileage engines? I had the 100k service done with valve adjustment done at...100k. just looking for input, thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My guess is that if it's different from baseline, it needs to be checked by a mechanic/technician you trust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed a tapping on start-up with our 2010 RTL. (83K miles) We just got this truck and it was badly in need of an oil change. A change to synthetic yielded a very quiet start and idle at the shop but the sound came back again once I started it in our driveway. Our driveway is slopped so it has made me think of oil pressure and uptake at the sump on the slopped drive? Hmmm...

·
Registered
16 Posts
One more observation made on tapping in my 2010: Cold starting on my slopped drive is followed by tapping (sounds coming from the front of the engine perhaps?) Idling in place for a few minutes does not change this. Backing truck onto flat ground and idle, sound slightly diminished but still there. Drive truck down the street as normal, sound goes away. Let the truck sit in the driveway again for a time and the sound will return. This makes me think of the oil pressure and distribution through the engine from cold starts. My next step will be to get a bar out and listen for the source of the tapping.

Note: I once had a sticking lifter in my old 97 Camaro which I successfully treated with an oil additive from Lucas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whatever you do, don't do what I did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whatever you do, don't do what I did.

Wow, what a painful story. I will have to crawl underneath and see if the tensioner is the culprit. It does not sound like a lifter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: brought it to the dealership and there weren’t any issues. They checked it out and stated that it sounds fine for the years and mileage. All they could find was uneven pad wear on left side and thought the caliper went bad. I’ll look at that next weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: brought it to the dealership and there weren’t any issues. They checked it out and stated that it sounds fine for the years and mileage. All they could find was uneven pad wear on left side and thought the caliper went bad. I’ll look at that next weekend.
I had changed my oil and put too much of the lucas stuff in and that same sound started, I took it to my buddy, he changed the oil with just 5w-20 and it went away, what are you using.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had changed my oil and put too much of the lucas stuff in and that same sound started, I took it to my buddy, he changed the oil with just 5w-20 and it went away, what are you using.
Valvoline full synthetic high mileage 5w20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts