Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, and searched for this topic but could not locate anything relevant. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

The feature I am talking about is the engine stop/start feature in new vehicles used to "save gas consumption" when the vehicle stops, say at a red light (had a rental 2019 Ford Ranger that did this).

Doe the 2nd gen RL have this feature, and if so, can it be turned off?

I found this to be a huge annoyance in the Ranger, but being a rental I didn't take the time to look for an "off" setting.

Thanks JB :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Gen II has it, starting in 2020.

17-19 does not have the feature.

There is a button by the shifter buttons in the center that disable it. But it has to be disabled everytime the vehicle is started by pressing the button. I'm not sure if there is a permanent turn off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
New member here, and searched for this topic but could not locate anything relevant. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

The feature I am talking about is the engine stop/start feature in new vehicles used to "save gas consumption" when the vehicle stops, say at a red light (had a rental 2019 Ford Ranger that did this).

I found this to be a huge annoyance in the Ranger, but being a rental I didn't take the time to look for an "off" setting.

The Engine Idle Stop feature is standard on all 2nd gen 2020 Ridgeline with 9 speed Transmission,
The 2017-2019 2nd gen Ridgeline with 6 speed Transmission Do Not have this feature,
As said the feature can be turned off with the push of a button located by the transmission buttons.
It will default back to On each time you restart the vehicle and then you have the option to turn it off.
It will not work in certain situation like if vehicle cabin temps become to warm or cool.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I’m told that in the Ranger, you can plug in a 115v nightlight in the outlet in the back seat area to disable the start/stop feature. (No need to push a button every time the vehicle is started). I don’t know of a work around for the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sounds even more annoying than VCM. Engine Idle Stop would be a deal breaker for me. Still pretty happy with my '17 RTL-E and even more so once I installed a VCM defeat.
Our Ridgeline is still relatively new to us being only 7 months old and around 12,000 miles so we are still learning things about it, we have not noticed any issues with the VCM as to date, what annoying aspects should we be looking for?

Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds even more annoying than VCM. Engine Idle Stop would be a deal breaker for me. Still pretty happy with my '17 RTL-E and even more so once I installed a VCM defeat.
Our Ridgeline is still relatively new to us being only 7 months old and around 12,000 miles so we are still learning things about it, we have not noticed any issues with the VCM as to date, what annoying aspects should we be looking for?

Bill
If you don’t notice any effects from VCM operation, don’t go looking for any! You will regret looking for things about VCM you didn’t notice on your own!

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you don’t notice any effects from VCM operation, don’t go looking for any! You will regret looking for things about VCM you didn’t notice on your own!
Then I take it that this is akin to being more of a personal issue rather than an issue of real concern?

Oh, as far as the original topic is concerned, what little we have experienced with a vehicle with the engine idle stop feature, it would cause us to pause also. I am thinking that no matter how reliable this system may be, it is bound to fail at some point and probably at a worse moment?

Bill

·
Registered
326 Posts
From what I've read, vehicles with stop/start and/or cylinder deactivation tend to have more engine reliability problems. I'm not sure how much of a problem cylinder deactivation is if it is smooth and unnoticeable, but stop and starting the engine must add more wear and tear, although a warmed-up modern engine does restart easily. But I would not want any hesitation at all on start up so I think the stop/start might be a deal breaker for me too. I've never driven one though. Early reports on the new Ranger are that reliability has been good, but they probably aren't old enough to experience significant engine wear yet so such problems may surface in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excuse my ignorance of recent tech stuff, but please explain VCM --what does it stand for, and what does it do? What do I need to know about it? Thanks :)

Friend of mine has a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, and you can switch off the idle start/stop feature via the touch screen. Looks like FCA did one thing right ;)

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
There seems to be a lot of unfounded fear surrounding idle stop systems. This is not a new technology - it has been around since the 1970's, is used in every hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicle, and has been used in mainstream gasoline models for over a decade. Honda started using idle stop on the Insight in 1999 and on the PCX scooter in 2010.

Personally, I'm not a fan of some implementations of idle stop; although, I must admit I'm not aware of any evidence that suggests it causes any problems. As in similar applications, the 2020 Ridgeline uses a different starter motor that is capable of withstanding the additional duty.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Bill
I purchased my 2017 RTL-E as an off lease with 34k and change on the clock. I never noticed, nor was I aware of a VCM until I put another 2k or so on the clock. Soon, it was like driving over rumble strips, with vibration and juddering noise. Had I been aware of the VCM I might not have purchased a Ridgeline. I did a lot of research on the issue, both on this forum and elsewhere. Finally decided to intstall the S-VCM and it took care of the problem. Have had it on for maybe 1k miles and voila! no more annoying VCM. No codes, no rumbling, no vibration. I highly recommend the S-VCM device.

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
No. To me, the symptoms WERE the problem. If the VCM worked seamlessly, I would have had no problem with it. And the S-VCM did not "mask" the problem....it eliminated it by not letting it engage.
VCM is capable of virtually transparent operation as you observed early on. If your Ridgeline started to vibrate and judder when in 3-cylinder mode, then clearly something changed (failed) that needs to be repaired in order to restore the same smoothness as before.

·
Registered
852 Posts
With our not feeling/hearing anything to date, even when actively trying to feel/hear for the VCM, this statement makes perfect sense.

VCM is capable of virtually transparent operation as you observed early on. If your Ridgeline started to vibrate and judder when in 3-cylinder mode, then clearly something changed (failed) that needs to be repaired in order to restore the same, smoothness as before.
On the flip side of this issue, PeeVeeH statement of "To me, the symptoms WERE the problem. If the VCM worked seamlessly, I would have had no problem with it. And the S-VCM did not "mask" the problem....it eliminated it by not letting it engage " would be akin to having a brain hemorrhage and trying to fix it by taking a strong pain killer?

Bill

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
No. To me, the symptoms WERE the problem. If the VCM worked seamlessly, I would have had no problem with it. And the S-VCM did not "mask" the problem....it eliminated it by not letting it engage.
Active motor mounts not working properly?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
tmz said:
From what I've read, vehicles with stop/start and/or cylinder deactivation tend to have more engine reliability problems. I'm not sure how much of a ...
We disabled permanently on our Honda Passports, assume it will be same on RL's but our RL's are all earlier model years

·
Registered
404 Posts
From what I've read, vehicles with stop/start and/or cylinder deactivation tend to have more engine reliability problems. I'm not sure how much of a problem cylinder deactivation is if it is smooth and unnoticeable, but stop and starting the engine must add more wear and tear, although a warmed-up modern engine does restart easily. But I would not want any hesitation at all on start up so I think the stop/start might be a deal breaker for me too. I've never driven one though. Early reports on the new Ranger are that reliability has been good, but they probably aren't old enough to experience significant engine wear yet so such problems may surface in the future.
Do you have any actual examples you can reference? Or is it pure speculation?

In the past, attempts to deactivate cylinders have been problematic, such as the Cadillac 8-6-4. But today's implementations are very smooth and I have not seen trends that can be pointed to causing alarm.

Stop/start implementations are getting smoother all of the time. I have been driving a GM vehicle with start/stop that cannot be shut off for three years. It is just as smooth as when new after 38K miles. The same car has cylinder deactivation (AFM) that cannot be felt and only recognized when the display indicates V6 or V4. The engine does not use any oil and gets excellent fuel mileage for a 4000+ vehicle.

I will not hesitate to buy another with either or both features and is likely the only way I will be able to acquire a new vehicle. Manufacturers seem to have recognized customers want the ability to turn off start/stop and provide the button to do so on each drive cycle while they forego the EPA credits available if they design start/stop so it cannot be turned off like it is in my 2017 Cadillac XT5 (2020's have the button like the Ridgeline). I will not fault them for making me push a button once on every drive cycle knowing that feature is contributing to the strict CAFE requirements and makes the internal combustion engines viable for many more years.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts