Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Engine Stop/Start, 2nd Gen RL

27K views 79 replies 44 participants last post by  spredvan 
#1 ·
New member here, and searched for this topic but could not locate anything relevant. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

The feature I am talking about is the engine stop/start feature in new vehicles used to "save gas consumption" when the vehicle stops, say at a red light (had a rental 2019 Ford Ranger that did this).

Doe the 2nd gen RL have this feature, and if so, can it be turned off?

I found this to be a huge annoyance in the Ranger, but being a rental I didn't take the time to look for an "off" setting.

Thanks JB :)

#2 ·
The Gen II has it, starting in 2020.

17-19 does not have the feature.

There is a button by the shifter buttons in the center that disable it. But it has to be disabled everytime the vehicle is started by pressing the button. I'm not sure if there is a permanent turn off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
New member here, and searched for this topic but could not locate anything relevant. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

The feature I am talking about is the engine stop/start feature in new vehicles used to "save gas consumption" when the vehicle stops, say at a red light (had a rental 2019 Ford Ranger that did this).

I found this to be a huge annoyance in the Ranger, but being a rental I didn't take the time to look for an "off" setting.

The Engine Idle Stop feature is standard on all 2nd gen 2020 Ridgeline with 9 speed Transmission,
The 2017-2019 2nd gen Ridgeline with 6 speed Transmission Do Not have this feature,
As said the feature can be turned off with the push of a button located by the transmission buttons.
It will default back to On each time you restart the vehicle and then you have the option to turn it off.
It will not work in certain situation like if vehicle cabin temps become to warm or cool.

#4 ·

I’m told that in the Ranger, you can plug in a 115v nightlight in the outlet in the back seat area to disable the start/stop feature. (No need to push a button every time the vehicle is started). I don’t know of a work around for the Ridgeline.

#9 ·
From what I've read, vehicles with stop/start and/or cylinder deactivation tend to have more engine reliability problems. I'm not sure how much of a problem cylinder deactivation is if it is smooth and unnoticeable, but stop and starting the engine must add more wear and tear, although a warmed-up modern engine does restart easily. But I would not want any hesitation at all on start up so I think the stop/start might be a deal breaker for me too. I've never driven one though. Early reports on the new Ranger are that reliability has been good, but they probably aren't old enough to experience significant engine wear yet so such problems may surface in the future.

#20 ·
From what I've read, vehicles with stop/start and/or cylinder deactivation tend to have more engine reliability problems. I'm not sure how much of a problem cylinder deactivation is if it is smooth and unnoticeable, but stop and starting the engine must add more wear and tear, although a warmed-up modern engine does restart easily. But I would not want any hesitation at all on start up so I think the stop/start might be a deal breaker for me too. I've never driven one though. Early reports on the new Ranger are that reliability has been good, but they probably aren't old enough to experience significant engine wear yet so such problems may surface in the future.
Do you have any actual examples you can reference? Or is it pure speculation?

In the past, attempts to deactivate cylinders have been problematic, such as the Cadillac 8-6-4. But today's implementations are very smooth and I have not seen trends that can be pointed to causing alarm.

Stop/start implementations are getting smoother all of the time. I have been driving a GM vehicle with start/stop that cannot be shut off for three years. It is just as smooth as when new after 38K miles. The same car has cylinder deactivation (AFM) that cannot be felt and only recognized when the display indicates V6 or V4. The engine does not use any oil and gets excellent fuel mileage for a 4000+ vehicle.

I will not hesitate to buy another with either or both features and is likely the only way I will be able to acquire a new vehicle. Manufacturers seem to have recognized customers want the ability to turn off start/stop and provide the button to do so on each drive cycle while they forego the EPA credits available if they design start/stop so it cannot be turned off like it is in my 2017 Cadillac XT5 (2020's have the button like the Ridgeline). I will not fault them for making me push a button once on every drive cycle knowing that feature is contributing to the strict CAFE requirements and makes the internal combustion engines viable for many more years.

#12 ·
There seems to be a lot of unfounded fear surrounding idle stop systems. This is not a new technology - it has been around since the 1970's, is used in every hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicle, and has been used in mainstream gasoline models for over a decade. Honda started using idle stop on the Insight in 1999 and on the PCX scooter in 2010.

Personally, I'm not a fan of some implementations of idle stop; although, I must admit I'm not aware of any evidence that suggests it causes any problems. As in similar applications, the 2020 Ridgeline uses a different starter motor that is capable of withstanding the additional duty.

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
My wife just bought a new 2021 Acura RDX with the engine idle stop/start. It is by FAR the most aggravating feature on any vehicle I have ever owned. Every time the engine turns back on you can feel it.....it almost feels like the engine has stalled out...terrible, terrible execution of a terrible, terrible idea. This might be good for an electric car (DAH!) but not a gasoline or diesel engine. I am guessing it saves .00000039484 gallons per 100 miles of driving. And anyone that says it doesn't put stress on an engine over and above a non stop/start engine is LYING. The numbder of engine starts quadruples, or more, putitng much more stress on virtually every aspect of an engine. I like my 2018 RTL-E but will be going back to a Tacoma if Honda persists in keeping this POS engine mismanagement in place.

#21 ·
So I was worried about the auto start/stop in the 2020 Ridgeline but it's really not that bad. It's worlds better than other older cars I have been in that had it. The shutoff is totally imperceptible they figured out how to time it with the car coming to a halt so you can't feel it at all. The restart is noticeable but not as bad or slow as what I was worried about.

#23 ·
That's correct. There are nearly two dozen conditions listed beginning on page 400 of the Owner's Manual that can prevent the engine from stopping including if "the climate control system is in use, and there is a significant difference between the set temperature and the actual interior temperature."

#28 ·
Y’all hang tight. I’m getting a 2020 Ridgeline. It does have stop start. I figured out a way through research of the pilots and the passports that you can pop the gear pannel lose and underneath the panel connect the wires together and it will keep stop start off at all times. Yes you can reconnect to factory settings if you wish. There is no wire stripping necessary. All you do it pop the pin lose from the connector attached to the button and attach that wire pin to another wire pin it with the other wire. A lot of people has done this with their passports and Pilots. No it did not void their warranty because the dealers have not payed any attention to it during their oil services and this guy has had his 2016 pilot for 100k miles. Hope this helps. Doing this to my new Ridgeline I myself don’t like stop start. It sucks!!! Many other car brands has a OBD2 gadget that will disable stop start but you have to leave it into the port at all times. This trick on the Honda’s is behind the scenes and can’t tell a difference. Also guys follow this forum below, it will give step by step details with pictures.. The push gear selector is the same and so should be the wires I hope!! ? Y’all welcome!

#29 ·
Y’all hang tight. I’m getting a 2020 Ridgeline. It does have stop start. I figured out a way through research of the pilots and the passports that you can pop the gear pannel lose and underneath the panel connect the wires together and it will keep stop start off at all times. Yes you can reconnect to factory settings if you wish. There is no wire stripping necessary. All you do it pop the pin lose from the connector attached to the button and attach that wire pin to another wire pin it with the other wire. A lot of people has done this with their passports and Pilots. No it did not void their warranty because the dealers have not payed any attention to it during their oil services and this guy has had his 2016 pilot for 100k miles. Hope this helps. Doing this to my new Ridgeline I myself don’t like stop start. It sucks!!! Many other car brands has a OBD2 gadget that will disable stop start but you have to leave it into the port at all times. This trick on the Honda’s is behind the scenes and can’t tell a difference. Also guys follow this forum below, it will give step by step details with pictures.. The push gear selector is the same and so should be the wires I hope!! ? Y’all welcome!
This modification is not without side effects.

1. The amber "idle stop" warning light will be constantly illuminated.

2. A DTC will be stored indicating that the idle stop off switch is stuck or shorted to B+.

#30 ·
Ok, I am going to give you my opinion. I know what they say about opinions, "they are like ass-holes, everyone has one and they all stink" :)

I don't believe in Stop\Start:
  • more parts, circuitry, complications, 2-batteries
  • has to be disabled every time the vehicle is started
  • requires a heavy duty starter to support the frequent use
  • bad for longevity of powertrain

Many say the new 9-speed is OK but not as robust as the 6-speed. Plus the 9-speed has times of gear-hunting.
So I would recommend getting a 2019 model at a left-over price.
I bought my RTL-E Jan-2019, a year ago, for $38,600, left-overs should be around $36k now.

The Ridgeline is so nice, in many ways. Good luck and best wishes with your decision.

#31 ·
Ok, I am going to give you my opinion. I know what they say about opinions, "they are like ass-holes, everyone has one and they all stink" :)

I don't believe in Stop\Start:
  • more parts, circuitry, complications, 2-batteries
  • has to be disabled every time the vehicle is started
  • requires a heavy duty starter to support the frequent use
  • bad for longevity of powertrain
Everyone is welcome to their opinion - even when it's wrong. ;)
  • Idle stop doesn't require any additional hardware aside from the "idle stop off" button and indicator light. The feature utilizes existing hardware. Honda's version uses only one battery - not two.
  • Be glad Honda gives you a button to temporarily disable the feature every time the vehicle is started. Some models don't (like my mother's Equinox).
  • Idle stop does require a heavy-duty starter that is about twice as expensive as a standard starter.
  • I don't see any actual evidence to suggest that powertrains equipped with idle stop don't last as long.

#32 ·
Yikes! I don’t want anything stored on the pcm and they see that. I’m glad y’all given me this info. I know i posted a forum on how a guy bypassed all that mess however nothing stated about the lights and codes. Well looks like I’ll be hitting a button for a while till someone gets a module I can stick into the OBD2 port to bypass it. Everyone has a opinion. That’s ok we all do. I’m glad this forum is alive and responsive and have many of you to reply as quick as we do.

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
Glad you're taking this on, @SOA18 . I'm still waiting on the Honda dealership to get an RTL in stock or at least be able to order one for me, so it may be a while before I take possession of a 2020. That said, I've been researching the same thing and found another thread on the Piloteers forum, which supposedly doesn't simulate a stuck switch that generates a DTC fault code stored in the PMC, although it does still illuminate the amber "idle stop" warning light.

I hope you beat me to being the test guinea pig for this and report back... :)

#33 ·

It can be turned off With a button on the console.

#36 ·
When GM began using start/stop in their trucks, if it had trailer tow package, a "tester plug" could bd plugged into the trailer lights socket and make the truck think it was pulling a trailer. Apparently towing disables start/stop on those trucks.
May want to try it on the Ridgeline.

#37 ·
Here's a really good video on why auto stop/start doesn't cause increased engine/component wear, and why it's still BS.

The truth about engine stop start systems

As far as VCM, I disabled that as soon as I got my RL.

#39 ·
Here's a really good video on why auto stop/start doesn't cause increased engine/component wear, and why it's still BS.

The truth about engine stop start systems

As far as VCM, I disabled that as soon as I got my RL.
John Cadogan's videos are some of the most offensive and brutally honest, but accurate on YouTube. Here's another one by Jason Fenske that puts some actual numbers behind the fuel consumption of idling and starting engines.

Interesting. Since I do far more highway driving in my Ridgeline the idle stop would cost me.
Idle stop isn't the cause of the 1 MPG loss in highway fuel economy on the 2020 AWD. It more likely due to the 9-speed having more trouble staying in top gear than the 6-speed.

"The 9-speed demonstrated a slight advantage in the more city-heavy loop, as its EPA ratings suggested. But the 6-speed did better on the route with highways and hills. Why? Ninth gear is quite tall and our Elite simply couldn't pull it if there was much of a hill or headwind."

#48 ·
I am now leaning back to the Toyota Tacoma (which I previously owned), as the stop/start feature is a deal killer for me. We HATE the feature on my wife's RDX. Hopefully, Toyota won't put the stupid thing in the Tacoma. It's just insane.

#46 ·
It was easy for me to avoid the auto off feature in my 2020 RTL-E as it took a good bit of foot/brake pressure to get it to engage. On my 2021 it takes very little pressure on the peddle to get the auto stop to engage. I hardly feel it shutting down anymore.

My only worry would be the wear on the starter . . . . .

#49 ·
I definitely feel it in my 20 RTL. The vehicle feels like it stumbles when it restarts. Not all that smooth and much more noticeable than in other cars I have driven with the feature.

Put me in the "hate it" camp. I will have to make pressing that button part of my muscle memory.

#50 ·
I definitely feel it in my 20 RTL. The vehicle feels like it stumbles when it restarts. Not all that smooth and much more noticeable than in other cars I have driven with the feature.

Put me in the "hate it" camp. I will have to make pressing that button part of my muscle memory.
I have read that the stop/start function puts a tremendous amount of excess strain on the engine bearings. Essentially you are taking an engine that may be started 50,000 times over its life and making it start 500,000 times. The numbers are not exact and only intend to drive the point that you are starting and stopping the engine 10X more than normal. Can't be good. Just glad my 2018 EX-L doesn't have it....wouldn't have bought it if it had.

#51 ·
I have learned my new "pre-flight" routine in my 2020..........Push start, push stop/start, push for correct gear. Hardly a problem. Now if there wasn't a button to disengage the start/stop, THAT would be a problem.

#57 ·
My only issue with the start-stop is that in the real world, it simply does not achieve its goal. It is a hack to satisfy regulations. I rent cars 2-3 times a month (pre covid) and most have the feature - I had the same anxiety when the car would stop which is probably leftover from our college years when some of us had junk cars from that would stall on us. Leave it on for a bit and you don't care anymore. Even in the cheapest rental, the engine is always on before my foot hits the gas.

#59 ·
I have to disagree. The start/stop feature does save gas. I have tried both and if you drive in stop and go traffic or wait in a bank teller line, there is no doubt it saves gas. My mpg figure can increase as much as 3-4 miles to the gallon.

Do I like the feature? It works better on my 2021 RL than my 2020. It takes way less brake pressure to engage the stop/start feature on the 2021 RL so it is harder to avoid. If it bothers, just hit the button.

Reactions: Ray S
#58 ·
Each person has their own risk assessment system. Mine just happens to think that the saying “it works until it doesn’t” applies to the idle stop/start system too; despite the chances being low, I’d much prefer to keep the possibility of the engine not starting to when I’m pressing the start button safely in my garage, rather than when letting my foot off the brake at a stop light.

#60 ·
I find it amusing how many people get totally worked up having to push a button to turn it off if desired when they start their vehicle. For me it’s just one more step that takes all of about 5 seconds lol. You have to press the button to put the transmission into Drive and the stop/start button is just below that.

If you want to get annoyed with something, start with the infotainment system lol.

#62 ·
I find it amusing how many people get totally worked up having to push a button to turn it off if desired when they start their vehicle.
Another option for the RTL-E/BE is turning on the AC outlet which disables idle stop without an orange warning light in the instrument cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.