Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have in the past built a few old cars and franknstein mobiles like a V8 Geo tracker and as of lately I have a 6.0l ls motor in a 4x4 truck that I picked up for a song . Yesterday an 07 Ridgeline showed up to my garage with rad gone and engine spoiled . So my love for ridgelines and more power have got the old wheels . I'm thinking a 6.0l ridgeline will solve the lack of power and low end torque problems ! This evening I'm going to start the measuring to see how it will all fit . Wish me luck lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It will also solve your having a working transmission problems. But at least it'll sound mean sitting in your yard. >:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no there will be no honda drive train left . I'm going form rad to rear axle chevy . Honda body on top chevy on bottom . Something like what honda did with the Saturn vue but backwards lol.

My buddy works at honda as the service manage when it's finish I will send it in for a tune up . When they pop the hood it will be :nerd: what the fuc...........:grin:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No no there will be no honda drive train left . I'm going form rad to rear axle chevy . Honda body on top chevy on bottom . Something like what honda did with the Saturn vue but backwards lol.

My buddy works at honda as the service manage when it's finish I will send it in for a tune up . When they pop the hood it will be :nerd: what the fuc...........:grin:
Wow, man. That sounds frickin' awesome. If you do all that you HAVE to post pics here. And maybe offer up a couple of test drives.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always been a chevy 350 guy . There's very little to make them run 3 wires a drop gas and go lol. Now the new LS engine craze on the go I stumbled across a chevy 4x4. I was going to pull the motor harness and ecm and junk the rest . I did an older 454 S 10 years ago . I was thinking 6.0l S 10, but now it's going to be 6.0l 4x4 honda ridgeline . Maybe if it fits nice a few power mods 500 hp is and easy number for a 6.0l motor .

Test co pilots will be welcome lol.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'm not sure where your at Shawn, but I can't wait to see an LS Ridgeline....

Details as this progresses are a must.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in newfoundland Canada where rust donates LS vehicle donors early in life lol . I have to say I'm on my 2 ridgeline and the father in law has a 2006 . They hold up so much better to rust then any other vehicle I have seen . To bad the performance of these trucks are so limited to Hondas designs . Yes I'm still trying to work out getting the donor ridgeline. The costumer sent it in yesterday to get fixed and found out the engine was toast . She is un decided what she wants to do with the truck . I offered to buy it she is sitting on it for a day or so . If this one gets away from me I know where there is another .

Pic s will come as soon as I'm under way :)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
So I have in the past built a few old cars and franknstein mobiles like a V8 Geo tracker and as of lately I have a 6.0l ls motor in a 4x4 truck that I picked up for a song . Yesterday an 07 Ridgeline showed up to my garage with rad gone and engine spoiled . So my love for ridgelines and more power have got the old wheels . I'm thinking a 6.0l ridgeline will solve the lack of power and low end torque problems ! This evening I'm going to start the measuring to see how it will all fit . Wish me luck lol
TAKE LUCK! Looking forward to your project. Your imagination should net a "worlds first". You are an adventurous man!

FYI: a couple years back, I'm walking from the parking garage to the front door of my employers building. Over my left shoulder I hear the rumble of a V-8 idling towards visitor parking.

An RX-7 circa late 90's burbles by, body in good shape but not pristine, twin mini-trash can sized tasteful pipes in the rear. The driver parks, I walk over saying "that ain't no Wankel!" He grins and pops the hood revealing a modern era LS something or other that appeared factory installed. Pavement could be seen both L & R of the motor. He explained the just-completed project in 60 seconds. It didn't even need a shoe horn to fit! A little firewall/trans tunnel mod and it all came together. SWEET!

Go Man, GO!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Its no good if there's not a blower sticking through the hood. :grin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a big fan of that factory looking mod . It just looks that clean u have to wonder did it come from the factory like it . Lol . Sorry there will be no blower sticking out of the hood . There might be one under it but that's to far away to tell . The geo tracker and s10 I did in the past both had 350 engines and they rolled down like stick looking vehicles . I phoned my buddy at the dealer and told him what I was up to . He told me I was a bit sick in the head lol. But he said he will help me out with whatever he could . The first problem I'm looking into is the Chevy stuff mounting to the Honda suspension.

And the games began lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK doing some working things out here tonight . It would be an easier time if I could re use the front and back differentials . I would need to do some heavy modding to the rear of the truck and chevy rear end to fit a leaf spring set up in there . I here guys saying about the limited abuse the tranny can take anybody know how tuff the differentials are in these rigs .

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Well the rear diff (VTM-4) unit cuts out at 18 mph so my then it's a FWD Vehicle.

Honestly I think your stuck getting another rear end. Possibly something like this one from RCV Performance. As for the front I'm really unsure. Are there any FWD - Transverse mounted LS motors? Maybe an entire drive system from a Jeep?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info I didn't know that . Jeep is a good idea but I'm thinking more along s 10 blazer . It shares the same bolt pattern as the ridgeline . The bolt up of certain parts will be easier sticking to all gm . Plus I know the systems a little better .

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
Well the rear diff (VTM-4) unit cuts out at 18 mph so my then it's a FWD Vehicle.

Honestly I think your stuck getting another rear end. Possibly something like this one from RCV Performance. As for the front I'm really unsure. Are there any FWD - Transverse mounted LS motors? Maybe an entire drive system from a Jeep?
Technically, the manual VTM-4 lock cuts out at 18 mph. But the auto VTM-4 actuation continues, regardless of speed.

Reliable sources say the existing RL drivetrain is maxed out at the stock power level, so I can't imagine a V8 powering the drive train for long... ergo the earlier comment about it sounding good... sitting in your yard!

One guy here spent a bunch of money trying to turbo the RL with interesting results. We haven't heard from him in a long time. But he did post up some interesting Youtube videos of his turbo-RL in action. He was keeping the OEM drive train though.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-under-hood-performance/43258-finally-turbo-you-guys.html

·
Registered
164 Posts
As another Chevy guy I want to see a great write up.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,345 Posts
You may want to try and find a V8 FRONT wheel drive platform. There are a number of options out there. . .

If you can figure out a way to connect up the transfer assembly and keep the rear portion of the Ridge's drive system in tact for AWD benefits that would be cool.

How about a 4 or 6 cylinder diesel instead of a gas v8???

·
Registered
156 Posts
I cleaned up quite a few LS swaps while I worked at Chevy... everything from 240sx, jeep yjs, all sorts of stuff.

I'd venture to say that none of the Honda drive train is going to co-operate. Especially for space concerns up front, much less compatability.

Easiest swap would be a 2wd, rwd, setup using the ls, 4l60 and 10-bolt rear from a c1500 truck... you can order rear coil spring mounts for the rear axle from all over the place. The 4wd swap would be a lot more involved obviously.

Good luck, definitely do able, if you could handle stuffing an ls into a tracker, the Ridgeline should be cake. I hated working on those things. Lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have been working out some of this the passed couple days . It will be a 4wd that's with fun part . Nothing to stuff and ls and a 4l60 or 4L80E in the a cut drive shaft and done . Lol .

So I'm thinking the 6.0l out of the truck a 4L80E a adopted transfer case from a Suzuki samurai some custom axles . Ford 8 inch center with the ends cut to match the cv joints . The front is the pita I can't come up with anything till the engine is in place . Have to see what space is left lol . I'm sure I can fit a for diff out of a chevy truck up there some where . For that matter if the 9 inch don't work in the back maybe a front diff back there to lol .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts