Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My RL is about 6 weeks old. From day one I hooked up my scan gauge and the running temp was around 172-185F. Yesterday I noticed a strange thing while going thru the car wash. It peaked at 211F and then within a minute for so dropped back to 175F and stayed their. I've never saw that before. I did not here the fans go on, maybe they did and I did not here them. It this normal for idiling? The temp yesterday was 68F. My prior Tundra would keep a steady temp of 192F, didn't matter how hot or cold it was, if I was towing the boat or not. It was always stay within 2-3 degrees of that temp.
________
thai girl Webcams

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
My RL is about 6 weeks old. From day one I hooked up my scan gauge and the running temp was around 172-185F. Yesterday I noticed a strange thing while going thru the car wash. It peaked at 211F and then within a minute for so dropped back to 175F and stayed their. I've never saw that before. I did not here the fans go on, maybe they did and I did not here them. It this normal for idiling? The temp yesterday was 68F. My prior Tundra would keep a steady temp of 192F, didn't matter how hot or cold it was, if I was towing the boat or not. It was always stay within 2-3 degrees of that temp.
Hard to say, I see about +/- 3 deg. on my scangauge, most the time around 179. I never noticed any peaks like you did, but does not mean it did not happen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hard to say, I see about +/- 3 deg. on my scangauge, most the time around 179. I never noticed any peaks like you did, but does not mean it did not happen.
Did a little test. Ran the truck as normal for a few miles. Temp was about 175F. Pulled over and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Within two minutes the temp topped out again at 211F, then settled about 195F. Once I began moving again the temp was 173-175. At the peak of 211F, the needle on the truck did not move, or move up very little. I did open the hood and the fans were not running.
________
Video reviews

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I do know when I stop after drivng a while, and sit and idle.. within a short time the fans keep cycling, I can hear them, they are quite loud. I think it also depends on whether your AC is on or off.
I'll let you know what my scan gauge reads next time.
Based on the service manual (section 10), 206F is the trip point for the fans to go to high speed.
But there are actually 2 temp sensors on the engine. One near the upper radiator hose, and another near the lower hose. I don't know if the Scanguage is only looking at one, or a summed value of both.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do know when I stop after drivng a while, and sit and idle.. within a short time the fans keep cycling, I can hear them, they are quite loud. I think it also depends on whether your AC is on or off.
I'll let you know what my scan gauge reads next time.
Based on the service manual (section 10), 206F is the trip point for the fans to go to high speed.
But there are actually 2 temp sensors on the engine. One near the upper radiator hose, and another near the lower hose. I don't know if the Scanguage is only looking at one, or a summed value of both.
Thanks for the info
________
Free Ticketmaster Gift Cards

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,883 Posts
My engine temp seems to like 185*F, +/- 2 or 3*.

I'll have to leave my temp display up for a period of time and see if I see any spikes like the OP.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I wonder if it has to with the response of the sensor...there may be more delay between readings, etc. The sensors in the Honda may be more sensitive to small changes. Does not always follow that sensitivity and accuracy go together either.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
It is 64 out today, and I just came back from a 30 min drive.
Keeping the car in the 40-55 range, it read 175 most all the time, dipping now and then to 173.
When driving a constant 65 it read 177 most of the time. Ocassionally dipping to 175 and going up to 179 if I passed another car..(about 30 sec later).
I parked and idled for 2 min and it never went above 182F. But I did have the A/C on auto. I don't know what difference it would make turning A/C off. Did not try that yet.
Now, given a very hot day and driving constantly at 70...doing some hill climbing, etc. and then stopping and idling, I would expect it to be quite a bit hotter but anything close to 200 sounds very high. But I don't know for a fact that it is not normal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is 64 out today, and I just came back from a 30 min drive.
Keeping the car in the 40-55 range, it read 175 most all the time, dipping now and then to 173.
When driving a constant 65 it read 177 most of the time. Ocassionally dipping to 175 and going up to 179 if I passed another car..(about 30 sec later).
I parked and idled for 2 min and it never went above 182F. But I did have the A/C on auto. I don't know what difference it would make turning A/C off. Did not try that yet.
Now, given a very hot day and driving constantly at 70...doing some hill climbing, etc. and then stopping and idling, I would expect it to be quite a bit hotter but anything close to 200 sounds very high. But I don't know for a fact that it is not normal.
When you turn on the AC your cooling fan goes on automatically every time the compressor kicks on. Therefore it's not just relying on the normal fan switch to control the temperature of the coolant. I don't know what 'normal' is for this honda, but vw's, which normally run hot, regularly see 210-220. For some more pseudo data points, a historically 'normal' thermostat only opens at 195'F... google "test a car's thermostat." IMO I wouldn't worry about seeing 200'F and would rely more on the car's gauge. The temperature is determined by a spring/thermostatic valve, and then another switch in the radiator to control the fan, and then the heat is being input based on engine power/load.... there's probably a bit of lag in the system.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The temp gauge is highly buffered as are most all vehicles these days. It's a little, but not much better than an idiot light. You need an after market gauge such as a scan gauge to know what's really going on

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
I left my GPS in gauge mode tonight and did a 10 mile trip. I did the first 5 miles or so without A/C and the last half with A/C. The temps seemed more stable with the A/C running.

Typically I saw 185*F +/- 2*F. Power up from a stop and then coast to the next light I saw a max of 194*F and a min of 174*F. I was surprised at the range. In steady cruise at 45-50 mph (OAT was in the mid-60s) I saw 185*F +/- 2*F or so.

Those numbers look right on the money per the FSM:

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
When you turn on the AC your cooling fan goes on automatically every time the compressor kicks on. Therefore it's not just relying on the normal fan switch to control the temperature of the coolant. I don't know what 'normal' is for this honda, but vw's, which normally run hot, regularly see 210-220. For some more pseudo data points, a historically 'normal' thermostat only opens at 195'F... google "test a car's thermostat." IMO I wouldn't worry about seeing 200'F and would rely more on the car's gauge. The temperature is determined by a spring/thermostatic valve, and then another switch in the radiator to control the fan, and then the heat is being input based on engine power/load.... there's probably a bit of lag in the system.
Of course I am relying on the scangauge since the car gauge does not really tell me anything but to indicate it is in the 'normal range'
I am well aware the fans operates when the compressor engages but I have not seen anything above 182F after driving 30 minutes at an average speed of 55.
All we can surmise is the thermostat never fully opens except under more strenous driving conditions.
I just came back from a 240 mile trip last month when average temps were well in the 90s. I never even thought to check my scangauge the entire trip, especially when pulling some long grades or after stopping when pulling off the freeway when there would likely be some definite heat rise.
Anyway, taking everyone's experience into account, I would think all our RLs are behaving normallly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm really not worried just a bit concerned about seeing 211F a few time after idling for a few minutes. I'll question the Honda guys when I take it in for inspection next week.

Thanks
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
FWIW, I was in idling traffic for ~ 30 minutes this morning. Ambient temps in the 60s. I saw 212*F at one point. (A/C off)

That being said, I don't think the OEM temp gauge ever budged from the normal position. Interesting.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FWIW, I was in idling traffic for ~ 30 minutes this morning. Ambient temps in the 60s. I saw 212*F at one point. (A/C off)

That being said, I don't think the OEM temp gauge ever budged from the normal position. Interesting.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Not that it means anything is wrong. Just very different from what I'm used to.
________
LADDER DAY SAINTS - MORMONISM ADVICE

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Makes me wonder where it gets to on a hot day. I figured that having the A/C on would even make the engine run hotter... but the gauge numbers say otherwise.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm really not worried just a bit concerned about seeing 211F a few time after idling for a few minutes. I'll question the Honda guys when I take it in for inspection next week.

Thanks
I tried it again at idle on a return trip this morning, and sure enough it hit 211 but took over 5 min to get there. Then I heard a fan start and it came down quickly.
(this is with the A/C off). So it looks like we are all good (or all bad!!).

·
Registered
80 Posts
My kids 1988 Trans-Am has 2 electric fans, and those cycle at 220 F, it runs hot in traffic, but the book says that is the correct rating for the factory temp switch.
I wouldn't be to concerned with 212 F as long as the fans cycled on. If you get concerned, just put the AC on and you will force the fans to run.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts