Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck cranks fine but many times engine fails to ignite and no start: Is there any reason to believe that engine coolant temp sensor (ECT) is keeping truck from starting? Problem is worst when weather is hot and /or when engine is hot and short runs. Are there other temperature sensors with parameters (amounts of fuel and ignition compensation) in the engine control management that could be causing hard starting, but smooth running after start?

·
Registered
677 Posts
How many miles? Have you had your fuel system checked?

I don't think that this would be a sensor issue if the check engine light isn't on. Usually sensor problems throw a code pretty quickly once something falls outside of set parameters. Does your exhaust smell unusually rich after this hard start?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
102K miles on truck. Timing belt changed at 100K. No noticeable fuel odor after hard start. Problem acts like electronic issue, but have just replaced both PGMFI relays. Still searching for likely causes(s).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this hard starting was a fuel issue, wouldn't the truck run rough on the road (It runs fine after start)?

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
There may be pending codes or codes that aren't illuminating the check engine light. Not all codes will illuminate the CEL. Best to let Honda scan it. Looking at fuel trim values on the scan tool may also be of value.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery at any point and not run the idle learn procedure? That can affect starting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx larryr. Dealer scan is next. Battery (and starter) passed load testing, and most mechanics doubt it is the fuel pump, so scanning sensors and related electronics seems most logical.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine just did this today. I drove about 3 miles, then turned the truck off. About two minutes later I drove the same distance to my house and grabbed my ID card. Then it cranked for a few seconds. I stopped it and tried three more times. Finally it started. Once I went back the original 3 miles I stopped again to check the battery cables. It again started rough. I then drove 10 miles and it cooled down for about 30-40 minutes. I had to crank it three times to get it to start.
Finally home, I clean the battery terminals. And I checked tue charging system. It is charging at 14.04 and is at 12.36 when it is off.
I am thinking fuel. I filled up Friday and it sat all weekend. Everything was fine this morning. Hawaii is hot, but this was at 5:45pm. So I don't think the heat is a real factor. I am going to see what happens at 6:00am. I will reply tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the knowledge so far.
Ron

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, I figured out the problem to my truck starting rough or not at all. I used the Honda Pilot flip key mod. I used that key last night when it was happening. This morning I had the same isue. Well at work I use the valet key. I hate having items in my pockets- Army uniform. The ACU pockets are cut different from the old BDUs. Anyway, on my way to an appointment I started the ridgeline with the valet key. No issues what so ever. SO I grabbed the flip key from my backpack. And the little RF chip inside was rattling around. It is always the little things that cause huge issues. I am waiting for the RTV sealer to dry right now. No epoxy anywhere in the garage.

I hope this helps somebody out there.

Thanks for the help the club has always given me.

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts