Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is covered in other threads but I just couldn't resist writing my own. While this certainly could fall under the "10 complaint list for the Ridgeline", my hope is it will illicit less rancor and negative feedback from those members that feel there is nothing Honda can do to improve upon the ridgeline :p . I love my ridgeline and would not trade it for anything (I have only owned it for 3 weeks!) and these are meant as a wish list, not complaints.

In no particular order:

1. Auto up/down for all windows. Maybe this could be a high end feature for the RTL model?

2. After turning off the car, continuous power for the radio/accessories when the key is removed but shut off when the drivers door is open. Many other manufacturers have been doing this for years!

3. A more refined seat belt alert. I rented a Ford Edge prior to my purchase and it was intuitive enough to know that if I remove my selt belt, it would wait momentarily(approx 30 seconds) before it chimed. This was helpful when pulling over to retreive mail from the mail box, retreiving items from the passenger areas that I could not reach due to the restraint. Or just trying to expedite getting out of the vehicle as soon as it is parked.

4. Fog lights that remain on when the regular lights are turned on. Why do they have to shut off? Is this a safety requirement? I personally like the look of the fog lights always being on :D .

5. Remote starter that allows control of the heating/cooling unit. Again maybe an RTL option?

6. Aux input closer to the driver.

7. Pneumatic(sp?) hood hinges, come on a prop rod?

8. Thicker clear coat.

9. Off road package.

10. Disable that stupid back window alert or at least mute it. I like a little fresh air circulating when it is parked.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
1. Auto up/down for all windows. Maybe this could be a high end feature for the RTL model?
Including Auto Open/Close Moonroof would be a nice.

6. Aux input closer to the driver.
Aux Input in the center console is ideal so your iPod/MP3 Player stays hidden from possible thieves. There's a good thread on how to do that. It was one of my first Mods. Only cost was a long Stereo cable and some time.

10. Disable that stupid back window alert or at least mute it. I like a little fresh air circulating when it is parked.
Yeah, I find it kinda funny that it alerts you that the back window is open, but doesn't tell you if the moonroof is open. If the moonroof is open, then rain can come inside while you are parked.

Whatever. I love my truck!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Automatic headlights

Wipers that fold forward for easier replacement

A real clock

Seperate the headlight control from the dash lights

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
  1. Telescoping steering column. The fixed one probably loses half the potential customers who take a test drive.
  2. "Snow mode" for VSA. Rather than cutting all power when there is too much wheel spin, accept the fact that floored throttle means that the driver is merging into traffic and really, really needs those wheels to turn. The current logic is fine for mud, where there is no solid bottom and spinning the wheels only makes things worse. On the road, it's taking too much control from the driver.
  3. Windshield wipers that do not clog in heavy snow.
  4. Properly investigate (and publicly document) the exploding rear window issue. If it's real, fix it. Don't wait until you get sued by someone whose baby got hurt.
  5. Cylinder deactivation, or whatever other non-radical change in technology is required to eke out better fuel efficiency.
  6. AC fan should run for a few minutes after turning off vehicle, to dry it out and prevent mildew.
  7. Console vents with vertical direction adjustments that actually work. The current ones always blast air at eye level. Both front and rear vents need this fixed.
  8. Stronger or better air supply. The current one is insufficient to keep all windows clear in cold weather with five adults in the cab. In particular, there is no way to keep the rear window clear without using the rear center vent, which again blasts hot air into passengers' eyes.
  9. More kneeroom for the driver. The bottom of the dash is impeding ingress and egress. We are hitting our knees on it (and often on the controls found there, which should be elsewhere).
  10. Much smaller key. All it really needs to do is talk to the engine, so ditch the mechanical spine and make the fob a tiny thing the size of a quarter, or a fingernail. Maybe a thick quarter, for the remote lock.
  11. Remote start from the standard fob.
  12. Seat material that doesn't stain/wear quickly.
  13. Seat heaters available for cloth seats.
  14. Heated seats for all seats.
  15. Redesign rear seat with more tolerance for articles under the seat and seatcovers over the seats.
  16. Roof rack that has virtually no wind noise. The Pathfinder has it. The Ridgeline can too.
  17. Locking front differential.
  18. Sensor for rear axles to indicate if either or both fail to engage for any reason (rather than just thermal failure).
  19. Make downshifting more responsive to moderate-to-strong pedal input. It does not need to be as strong a response as the Sprint Booster gives, and the 2009 model improved matters over previously... but it still needs a tweak. Get rid of that delay in response.
  20. Highway-speed gear shifting, especially under heavy load or on hills, also needs more tweaking. Either adjust the computer firmware to shift less or offer a D4 lock. Make this effective when cruise control is on, too.
  21. More range of travel in suspension system.
  22. Levelling system for rear suspension. Some of us actually carry heavy things and don't want to have to adjust the headlights.
  23. Tailgate swing mode open to 90 degrees, not 80 degrees.
  24. Lockable access hatch in side of trunk (to fetch things after bed is loaded).
  25. Rain-sensing windshield wipers.
  26. Windshield wipers that actually wipe well. I had to replace the passenger-side one with a 3rd-party teflon one within a week because it simply did not apply pressure correctly along the blade's length.
  27. Tie-downs mid-way along the bed's sides.
  28. Cable that can optionally be fastened on the right side of the tailgate when it's down for heavy loads. Hopefully this would allow the rating to increase from 300 lbs to 400.
  29. Rear window redesigned so that broken glass can be less expensively replaced. Currently, rolling an ATV too far forward in the bed is a thousand dollar mistake.
  30. Side mirrors with extending mounts (for towing).
The usual disclaimer: despite all of the above, I really like my Ridgeline. It's the best mid-size truck by far. Even with the three safety-related issues 2-4, it is the overall safest vehicle among those owned by all my family and friends.

I did not ask for a hybrid or diesel or V8. Most of what is above can be done by revising or enhancing what is already there. If there is going to be a big change, such as redesigning the whole vehicle to improve fuel economy, it might was well wait until Honda can copy/improve on the drive system in the Volt or any train (modest powerplant charging an electric drive system with high-torque motors on the wheel hubs). When that happens, I'll get on the list to upgrade.

·
Registered
442 Posts
1) A trunk with a flat floor instead of having a ledge on the right.
My golf clubs sit at a weird angle in the trunk and I am worried I might bend my clubs and since club prices are outrageous I won't be able to afford new ones.
2) A hard tonneau cover that doesn't leak.
3) Work with aftermarket companies to get more accessories available when the truck comes out. Would love to see a lift kit, or a tent that fits the back, would like a cap but I can't find anyone that keeps them around or wants to deal with them.
4) Full size spare tires. No mini spares please.
5) Replace that rear seat plastic gear that keeps breaking, with metal so the rear seats don't have an erection problem and cost so much to fix them out of warranty
6) A regular 4x4 system like all the other trucks have would be a nice option. 7) This way a V8 or Diesel engine could be added.
8) A VTM+4 button that locks all four wheels to spin at the same time (If this is possible) instead of just the rear two wheels.
9) More tow capacity. This includes more power for towing down lower in RPMs.
10) Get rid of the auto locking front doors if they are not opened within a set time period. When I am loading the car in my driveway it is a royal pain to constantly be unlocking the doors all of the time when my hands are full. Or at least give me a much longer time period before they lock on their own like 10-15 minutes.
11) An engine that shuts down at highway speeds (Unless you are towing) to help save on gas usage.
12) A new auto delaer setup so we can get dealers that are actually out to help customers instaed of rip us off. Like the 5 star dealers or something. Give us a way to report a bad dealer without them knowing about it so there is no pay back down the line.
13) Lower prices!!!! For vehicle and maintainence items.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1) ...Would love to see a lift kit...
There are several 2" lifts available. Don't pay over $300 for them though, because they are just strut spacers. Search the forums for threads on lift kits. I would love to see something better though, like custom coilovers that would give us more travel instead of just lift.

tigertom1965 said:
6) A regular 4x4 system like all the other trucks have would be a nice option.
Basically, this system is much better than a traditional 4x4 system for the intended market (suburban drivers who want a mild truck). There are trade-offs. It might not get you up a rutty hill in the mud, but it is less likely to put you into a ditch on a rainy day.

tigertom1965 said:
7) This way a V8 or Diesel engine could be added.
This truck has a transverse-mounted engine. This allows them to shorten the nose slightly, as well as design a lot of safety features like the way the powertrain will roll beneath the passenger compartment in a front-end collision. Having a transverse-mounted engine produces a lot of technical hurdles when you start asking for bigger engines. First there is a lot more mass, physical dimensions, and torque to deal with. Secondly, there is a physical limit to just how much power a transverse transmission can handle. If you've ever had to remove one, you realize how compact they are. Back in the 90's there were a lot of developmental problems with CV joints not holding up to 150HP. Now we have a truck w/250HP and a transverse engine. Any diesel option will more likely be a small, economical one rather than a Cummins-style diesel. The unibody frame just isn't meant for the heavy workloads that a motor like that would encourage.

That said, I thought I read in one of the Off-Road magazines recently that a V8 is in the works for 2011. I found a blurb about it here, but it doesn't show the publishing date. The article appears at least a couple years old.

tigertom1965 said:
10) Get rid of the auto locking front doors if they are not opened within a set time period. When I am loading the car in my driveway it is a royal pain to constantly be unlocking the doors all of the time when my hands are full. Or at least give me a much longer time period before they lock on their own like 10-15 minutes.
You can disable this. Check your owner's manual. It was the first thing I looked for when I read it.

tigertom1965 said:
11) An engine that shuts down at highway speeds (Unless you are towing) to help save on gas usage.
This was investigated by Honda long ago, but they have stated that due to increased weight and aerodynamic profile (compared to Pilot) that variable displacement would be ineffective. It will supposedly be available for the V8 version.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My measly request is to add some detents on the center console armrest so it doesn't slide forward and back every time I actually try to rest my arm on it! Maybe 3 or 4 positions that it would lightly "click" into while you moved it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
i like all your wish list,, but does it means more $$$$$$$?
There are a few items above that ask for a lot (like significantly different engines or suspension). However, most of them are on par with the 50 changes that came with the 2009 "refresh" of the Ridgeline. If takes time to assess, approve and design any changes. If we want at least some of them to be integrated into another refresh 2 or 3 years down the line, it's time to start piping up now.

This section of the forum is called "Dear Honda". Does anyone with influence at Honda read it? I doubt that they'd answer for themselves here, but maybe someone else can. If not, can anyone say what Honda does for customer consultation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to see:

A choice of cloth seats in the RTL line.
A rear window defrost system
The center console to angle slightly to allow the driver to get a more "heads-on" look at the navigation system and controls
Better quality leather (the BMW's, Mercedes, VW...etc all have thicker nicer leather)
Birds-eye view on the navigation system like Infinity has

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my RL since June and now that the cooler weather is starting to come into Ohio I miss the window defrosters for cool mornings when the side mirrors have dew on them. As I understand it, the RL has mirror defrosters but they don't come on until it's below 0'. There are times I would like to have a little heat to help dry them even in rain when the mist covers them. Worked great in my '99 Cherokee.

A dash light to show when 4 wheel drive is engaged would be nice too. I was driving the well road at the farm this week and it would have been nice to know if I was getting by in 2 wheel or if it had shifted into 4x.

And do something with the bed to keep it from scratching everytime I place something in it. It's ridiculous that every little thing you place back there scratches the lining.

Highway lights (2009) that don't come on until the truck is placed in drive. You can't even sit and idle without the lights on. Sometimes I don't want my lights on like when I'm parked at the farm in the evenings watching deer but may want to keep the engine running.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
After two weeks with a Ridgeline, I really think there are only two things I wish it had:

REMOVABLE (individually) rear seats.

Better mileage.

- Chip

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A more refined seat belt alert. I rented a Ford Edge prior to my purchase and it was intuitive enough to know that if I remove my selt belt, it would wait momentarily(approx 30 seconds) before it chimed. This was helpful when pulling over to retreive mail from the mail box, retreiving items from the passenger areas that I could not reach due to the restraint. Or just trying to expedite getting out of the vehicle as soon as it is parked.

Pneumatic(sp?) hood hinges, come on a prop rod?
Maybe my seatbelt alert doesn't work correctly. I can undo it, get the mail and drive the 120 ft of driveway and park in the garage without the chime. If I go much further, the chime will start.

Many of us have added Figs hood props. There are several threads about them

I've had my RL since June and now that the cooler weather is starting to come into Ohio I miss the window defrosters for cool mornings when the side mirrors have dew on them. As I understand it, the RL has mirror defrosters but they don't come on until it's below 0'. There are times I would like to have a little heat to help dry them even in rain when the mist covers them. Worked great in my '99 Cherokee.

Highway lights (2009) that don't come on until the truck is placed in drive. You can't even sit and idle without the lights on.
Only the RTL has heated mirrors, but they aren't automatic..there is a switch to turn the heat on or off.

Highway lights? If you are referring to the daytime running lights, they might work like the GMC I had with DTRL..Try setting the parking brake, the lights might turn off. My 2006 RTL doesn't have DTRL, so this might not work on a Honda..Maybe someone else can confirm this

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No mention in the OM that I see for my 2009 about turning off the DRL... I believe I've seen threads here that mention people simply pulling the dedicated fuse.

- Chip

If you are referring to the daytime running lights, they might work like the GMC I had with DTRL..Try setting the parking brake, the lights might turn off. My 2006 RTL doesn't have DTRL, so this might not work on a Honda..Maybe someone else can confirm this

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
No mention in the OM that I see for my 2009 about turning off the DRL... I believe I've seen threads here that mention people simply pulling the dedicated fuse.

- Chip
It might not be a feature that Honda has. Several GM cars and trucks we've owned had daytime running lights. When parked with the engine running, the daytime lights would go off when setting the parking brake. Pulling the fuse would disable the lights completely. What Corc76 mentioned was not being able to sit and idle without the lights on.

Might be worth a try to see if it works the same way, even though it doesn't mention it in the OM.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It might not be a feature that Honda has. Several GM cars and trucks we've owned had daytime running lights. When parked with the engine running, the daytime lights would go off when setting the parking brake. Pulling the fuse would disable the lights completely. What Corc76 mentioned was not being able to sit and idle without the lights on.

Might be worth a try to see if it works the same way, even though it doesn't mention it in the OM.
On both Honda's I've owned (including the Ridgeline) you could keep the running lights off by applying the park brake before starting the engine. Once you release the brake the DRL's go on and will not turn off again till you turn off the engine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts