Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts
With such a wide range of mileages it would be interesting to know what failed in the transmissions. My failure was actually the torque converted main piston and I got a P0741 error.
There have been a couple of pump failures including the one in my 2019's transmission at 14K miles. We may never know the specific failure leading to most of the replacements since Honda dealers aren't authorized to open transmissions under warranty - they're only allowed to replace them with new or remanufactured units.

Where was Honda using the ZF 9 speed in 2014?
Model - calendar year

TLX - 2014
MDX - 2015
Pilot - 2015
Odyssey - 2017
Passport - 2019
Ridgeline - 2019

The ZF 9HP transmission debuted in the Jeep Cherokee in 2013. Note that the 9HP's used by Stellantis in Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, and Ram applications are made by Stellantis under license from ZF. The 9HP's used by Honda are made by ZF and supplied to Honda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There have been a couple of pump failures including the one in my 2019's transmission at 14K miles. We may never know the specific failure leading to most of the replacements since Honda dealers aren't authorized to open transmissions under warranty - they're only allowed to replace them with new or remanufactured units.

Model - calendar year

TLX - 2014
MDX - 2015
Pilot - 2015
Odyssey - 2017
Passport - 2019
Ridgeline - 2019

The ZF 9HP transmission debuted in the Jeep Cherokee in 2013. Note that the 9HP's used by Stellantis in Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, and Ram applications are made by Stellantis under license from ZF. The 9HP's used by Honda are made by ZF and supplied to Honda.
I read in an earlier discussion that you are the go to guy about transmissions. they weren't kidding!

It surprised me that Jeep used a 9 speed trans way back in 2013. I thought that it was a more current creation.

Also I wonder why Honda didn't just use the 9HP in the Ridgeline originally if it was used in the Pilot back in 2015 and the Ridgeline is based on the Pilot.

·
Administrator
23,087 Posts
ZF 9HP came to Ridgeline in 2020.
For model year 2020 in calendar year 2019. :)

Also I wonder why Honda didn't just use the 9HP in the Ridgeline originally if it was used in the Pilot back in 2015 and the Ridgeline is based on the Pilot.
1. Cost

The much more complex ZF 9-speed almost certainly costs more than the 6-speed that Honda designed and manufactured in-house.

2. Availability

Part of the reason Honda is still using the 9-speed is because they can't make enough of their new 10-speed for all applications.

The 9-speed replaced the 6-speed in phases just like the 10-speed will eventually replace the 9-speed. It can't happen all at once. Honda has to decide which models will get the new stuff first. The Ridgeline is one of Honda's slowest-selling products which is likely why it hung on to the 6-speed for so long and still hasn't got the updated gauge cluster, infotainment, steering wheel, brake system, etc.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don't wish for the Honda 10-speed too soon. The Ody forum reporting several failures with very low miles on them. Hopefully have the bugs worked out before the RL picks it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 17 RTL with 35k miles was just in for the P0741 light came on for the second time after the first time replacing only my starter (for the second time - long story). Today the transmission service was done where the fluid was drained and there were NO METAL SHAVINGS so I am out $330! Does anyone else have this issue? The service was not indicated yet on my vehicle, was it?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Just confirmed I have the same problem with my 2018 RTL-E with 30,000 miles. Torque converter solenoid failure. "P0741 - Shift Solenoid Valve C Stuck OFF." That explains why the trouble code only appears on the highway and usually with cruise control engaged.

Thankfully, this one is covered by the 5-year/100k powertrain warranty. A little under $5,000 for the repair otherwise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Took my 17 RTL-E in on Tuesday for the 'Transmission system problem" message. Code P0741. Only 55k miles. Drives fine, but I have had both poor fuel economy and the "Emissions system problem" message. I had taken it in previously for the emissions problem message and they replaced several things (don't recall exactly what, but the fuel injectors were one), but I never saw the improvement in fuel economy I was told to expect. I wonder if the torque converter has been the problem all along. Regardless, I am very disappointed in Honda to have a major power train issue at such a low mileage. Currently fighting with the dealership to get it covered under warranty since the power train warranty expired between the time I called to schedule the service and the time they could get it in.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts