Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 14 Sport the day after Thanksgiving. So far I love it! The truck already has the receiver hitch, but not the pigtail. I've done a lot of research on the OEM wiring harness lately. I've seen this discussed in various threads, but some of the posts are older and also apply to older RL models.

Here's my scenario: I do not currently do much towing or even own a trailer. I have friends and relatives who own utility trailers that I may borrow occasionally. I probably wouldn't tow anything more than 1-2 times per year, and almost 100% sure it would be nothing with electric brakes. (I replaced my 01 Silverado with this RL and towed very little with that as well, but I bought it with the 7 pin wiring already included.) Primary uses for a trailer would be for towing 1 or 2 four wheelers (05 Rancher 2wd ATV).

The question: Is the eTrailer 4 pin plug in harness a reliable alternative for occasional light duty towing (nothing > 2K pounds GVW)?

I've seen many good arguments for using the OEM harness vs. aftermarket. The arguments most interesting to me are that the OEM part changes the shift patterns of the transmission and secondly, people using aftermarket parts have had some problems with fuses, lights, and switches. Based on the ages of the posts, I'm wondering if there's more history now? Has Honda validated the claim about the shift patterns with the OEM harness?

I don't want to take shortcuts and cause myself headaches. I bought the Honda because I know it will last a long time. It looks like the etrailer product has excellent reviews. It also looks like it has some kind of controller to protect the RL's wiring circuits.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm getting ready to purchase a hitch and wire harness too for my 07. I looked at the etrailer one and Curt but was going to get a Hopkins one on Amazon for about $29. I don't see how the wire harness could have anything to do with the shifting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Get the OEM harness. Too many reports of electrical glitches with aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Get the OEM harness. Too many reports of electrical glitches with aftermarket equipment.
Agree with this.... a lot more expensive (around $150) but well worth the headache avoidance. How many of you are really good at tracking down electrical gremlins when they show up??? There are many recorded episodes of aftermarket harnesses causing electrical troubleshooting nightmares for members here. (seemingly unrelated electrical issues to boot!)
You've been warned! :act024:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts