Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything has come in and ready for radio swap this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have

Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX
Metra 70-1729 Radio Wiring Harness
Metra 40-HD11 2009-Up Honda Antenna Adapter Cable
PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Metra 95-7811HG Dash Kit
AX-HON24RVC-6V
and most importantly:
An audiophile son coming home just to help Dad :)

From a bunch of research here and elsewhere, this is what I have come up with to make this the easiest it can be. I will report on install.

Z

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Take lots of pics. Nice bonding opportunity, enjoy!

Reactions: silkiechicken

·
Registered
61 Posts
Everything has come in and ready for radio swap this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have

Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX
Metra 70-1729 Radio Wiring Harness
Metra 40-HD11 2009-Up Honda Antenna Adapter Cable
PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Metra 95-7811HG Dash Kit
AX-HON24RVC-6V
and most importantly:
An audiophile son coming home just to help Dad :)

From a bunch of research here and elsewhere, this is what I have come up with to make this the easiest it can be. I will report on install.

Z
I installed the 8200 in my Jeep, It is a nice unit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Good luck with this project, Zman, I'll be following your progress closely. Just off the top of your head, what is the ballpark cost for this job?

I know that half the pleasure will be having Jr. there to help.

And take pix!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Totally watching and hoping for more pics!!! Might consider something like this down the line!
@Darksky, personally, the only thing I use my RTL headunit for is the backup cam when I'm close to a wall, which should switch right over. I don't think the basic stock radio does much of anything else useful as far as I can tell. LOL.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Zman, here are a couple tips I copied from inside a customer review over on Amazon. I hope they'll help you out as you're installing:

1. You only get 1 usb in the box so usually you attach it to usb 1 for carplay or usb slot 2 for android auto. My installer finished install then i pointed out i wanted to use both USB ports so they were kind enough to hook up both in case i change between iphone and android!

2. i noticed some mornings that the unit would lose its memory of what language i picked, then got a tip that my car goes to sleep. I had the shop re-wire the yellow wire to a 12v source to fix this problem.

(Excerpted from this Amazon customer review)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Totally watching and hoping for more pics!!! Might consider something like this down the line!

@Darksky, personally, the only thing I use my RTL headunit for is the backup cam when I'm close to a wall, which should switch right over. I don't think the basic stock radio does much of anything else useful as far as I can tell. LOL.
I see ... I didn't realize you're replacing the basic headunit in an RTL. Hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guys!

I did call an installer and he wouldnt give a firm quote but guessed around $200 for install. I opted to do myself once son offered to help because I know it will be done right and as mentioned above great bonding time..along with a few beers :)..

Will take pics and all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zman, here are a couple tips I copied from inside a customer review over on Amazon. I hope they'll help you out as you're installing:

1. You only get 1 usb in the box so usually you attach it to usb 1 for carplay or usb slot 2 for android auto. My installer finished install then i pointed out i wanted to use both USB ports so they were kind enough to hook up both in case i change between iphone and android!

2. i noticed some mornings that the unit would lose its memory of what language i picked, then got a tip that my car goes to sleep. I had the shop re-wire the yellow wire to a 12v source to fix this problem.

(Excerpted from this Amazon customer review)

Thanks a bunch!

·
Super Moderator
5,336 Posts
I installed the 8200 in my Jeep, It is a nice unit.
Even better, recently Crutchfield had a significant price reduction on that unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I will be followed your path. The stock radio Bluetooth should be a recall, due to all the fumbling you have to do to get it to work. .

Also DIY, so would be grateful for documenting the process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When you are in there, can you check to see if the factory Sirius/XM antenna connection is available at the radio, or if you needed to add, what I assume is included with your radio? Thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts