Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the struts on the truck this spring, and I'd like to do everything it needs at that time.

The bumpstops/boots will need to go, but what about the upper mounts and sway bar end links? Suggestions on where to get these?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You might want to just drop in the entire shock absorber assembly (springs & all). That makes for pretty easy labor (no spring compressing required) & gets all the associated parts at once.
Beyond that, yes... the sway bar bushings & end links would complete the package, I'd think.

If you're looking to go crazy, you could always replace the front drive axles while you're down there!

Lots of sources if you're buying separate aftermarket components.... just search the web... RockAuto?, etc.
For good OEM prices, checkout bernardiparts.com
(It never hurts to ask if your local dealer will match bernardi prices.... If they say yes, you'll avoid shipping charges (might be offset by sales taxes) and you'll be able to deal locally, should you face any 'return' activity)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The assembly cost is a heavy premium over the individual components. I've replaced plenty of shocks before, so the small labor savings isn't a big deal to me.

Replacing bushing, OTOH, seems like a royal pain. I know it's a pain on my Miata. Are these two-piece bushings or do you have to press them in and out?

Basically I'm looking for a rundown of the parts to pick up.

Boots/bumpstops, check.
Strut mounts, ???
Sway bar bushings, ???
Sway bar endlinks, ???

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The assembly cost is a heavy premium over the individual components. I've replaced plenty of shocks before, so the small labor savings isn't a big deal to me.

Replacing bushing, OTOH, seems like a royal pain. I know it's a pain on my Miata. Are these two-piece bushings or do you have to press them in and out?

Basically I'm looking for a rundown of the parts to pick up.

Boots/bumpstops, check.
Strut mounts, ???
Sway bar bushings, ???
Sway bar endlinks, ???
As to what to get: yes, yes (optional), yes, yes

As far as the "bushings", I can only tell you what I've read here (there are plenty of threads to review). In a nut shell:
1) Sometimes the end links can be a pain to remove, and have to be cut off.
2) Sway bar bushings themselves can be easy to remove when you are replacing the end links as well.... due to the fact that tension is removed from the sway bar at this time?
3) Sway bar bushings can be replaced after only loosening the retaining 'strap' & pushing them out from the side..... at least that's what one member reported. So no need to get into major disassembly. No, it's not "pressed" on.

... this is all general recollection, so you might want to visit related threads yourself, or just take a good look under your truck to verify the sway bar arrangement.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
Sway bar endlinks will almost certainly need to be cut as the nuts seize up pretty badly. Your bushings on a Miata have nothing to do with the bushings for the front sway bar on the Ridgeline. Bushings are split and will slide over the sway bar. With the tension off the sway bar (end links disconnected) you need to remove the bushing's retaining strap and then remove old / slide on new bushing. The nuts are accessible but there is very little room to work so it is a bit of a PIA but certainly doable. Definitely do the bushings if you are doing the endlinks.

Wondering why are you replacing your struts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I wasn't specific when I referred to sway bar bushings. I should have said "sway bar endlink bushings." If the endlinks come with new bushings and you likely have to cut them off anyway, then it sounds like a no-brainer. Should I just buy OEM or is there a decent aftermarket alternative?

The truck has 128k on it and the suspension feels pretty underdamped and skitterish over rough pavement.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
There are no "bushings" for the endlinks. They are just links. Like I said, do replace the sway bar bushings while you are working on the endlinks. Your struts (springs, dampener, bushing etc) are probably worn to some degree but unless you find the truck wallowing repeatedly after going over bumps, your strut dampeners are probably still working.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long do you think they're good for? I've found the shocks/struts on a lot of cars to be well worn out by 100k, sometimes a lot less than that. The truck has always seemed a bit wallowy to me. Bumping the tire pressures helped, but there is still a significant amount of roll. And as I mentioned it will skip across bad pavement.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
How long do you think they're good for? I've found the shocks/struts on a lot of cars to be well worn out by 100k, sometimes a lot less than that. The truck has always seemed a bit wallowy to me. Bumping the tire pressures helped, but there is still a significant amount of roll. And as I mentioned it will skip across bad pavement.
I'm at 150K and shocks are fine.... but this is sunny, not-hot sunny SoCalif.
I do think that the "age" factor is amplified by more extreme weather (seals, rust, etc.). But if they are not visibly leaking, and if your top-end is working properly (top mounts, bump stops, etc..... no funny sounds), then you're probably still good. And even the top end stuff can be replaced separately for much less $ if you DIY. Honestly, I would not have been surprised if mine needed changing a while back, but they didn't, and they're going strong (knock on wood). Just depends on your particular shocks. When they go, they go. Like many other components, you can change them early, or you can wait for them to fail..... not usually a lot of risk to wait for them to 'fade'.
Regarding wanting a stiffer ride, I'm not sure if anyone makes that for the Ridgeline.... there seem to be limited choices from the aftermarket.
Personally, I like it just the way it is.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased kyb replacement struts for all 4 corners about a year ago and now I'm about to have them installed this summer. Would I need to purchase one of these strut mounting kits for each corner? (2 fronts-2 rears kyb brand)
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/honda/ridgeline/suspension/strut_mounting_kit.html
Truck has over 200,000 miles so just trying to give it fresh legs and wanna replace any parts that need it while in there but want to have everything ordered and ready as I have a local Indy doing it and want him to have everything when he gets into it.

Saw this part as well
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/honda/ridgeline/suspension/shock_mounting_kit.html
It says spring mounting kit? Should I get the strut mounting kit or spring mounting kit for rear? I thought I had struts all the way around.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I purchased kyb replacement struts for all 4 corners about a year ago and now I'm about to have them installed this summer. Would I need to purchase one of these strut mounting kits for each corner? (2 fronts-2 rears kyb brand)
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/honda/ridgeline/suspension/strut_mounting_kit.html
Truck has over 200,000 miles so just trying to give it fresh legs and wanna replace any parts that need it while in there but want to have everything ordered and ready as I have a local Indy doing it and want him to have everything when he gets into it.

Saw this part as well
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2006/honda/ridgeline/suspension/shock_mounting_kit.html
It says spring mounting kit? Should I get the strut mounting kit or spring mounting kit for rear? I thought I had struts all the way around.
Technically speaking you do have "struts" all the way around, at least in the common use of the term. A "strut" is just a particular type of shock absorber; and Honda calls them "Shock Absorber Units" (just the 'strut' part); and they call the entire assembly ('strut', spring, top bearing, etc. all put together) the "Shock Absorber Assembly". That is Honda's terminology, but you may find these items described differently at aftermarket sources. You really will need to see the appropriate image & read the 'contents' lanugage to know what you are getting.... although you can usually tell by the price as well, LOL.

If you are buying them piece-meal, you really need to just think carefully about the language describing each item, & how it matches against the parts that make up the whole assembly. (Images are best, when they are accurate & product specific..... but sometimes they just use generic pics!)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I guess I wasn't specific when I referred to sway bar bushings. I should have said "sway bar endlink bushings." If the endlinks come with new bushings and you likely have to cut them off anyway, then it sounds like a no-brainer. Should I just buy OEM or is there a decent aftermarket alternative?

The truck has 128k on it and the suspension feels pretty underdamped and skitterish over rough pavement.
I would start with links and sway bar bushings and go from their.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts