Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Prospective Ridgeline buyer here. I've never purchased a vehicle new before, but have been doing my research. After much searching for a used RTL-E, it looks like a new 2020 RTL AWD may be a better option since it has the features I care about, and from a cost-point it seems like it isn't much more expensive than a used 2017+ RTL-E.

I looked in the "Actual prices paid only" thread, but didn't find much for a 2020 RTL specifically. I know much has changed for this trim for 2020, so comparing it to previous years in that thread isn't exactly apples to apples. There are a few 2020 RTLs at a few dealerships near me, but I'm not 100% sure what to offer for an "OTD" price for an excellent deal. Would I be in the right ballpark at around 33-34k? TrueCar is showing "Excellent" prices at below 35k, but I'm not sure how far below 35k dealers may be willing to go.

Also, I know there is special 1.9% financing going on for new Ridgelines, but if a buyer has good credit, do they typically go lower?

Thanks!

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Typically not much for a 2020 MY vehicle. If you are looking at a dealership residual 2019 MY, then you could have negotiating power. Typically the ones that have been sitting for about a couple of months or so could be had at a very competitive price.
I cant locate any 2020 RTL AWD in my any of the 6 dealerships I looked at and one does not have ANY inventory of Ridgelines and I live in NJ.

If you are financing with Honda Financial, which is at 1.9% with $1K down, then no; not gonna be any lower. If the dealership you are looking at has private financing, then expect the rates to be either the same, or higher. You could also secure your own financing.

Super Moderator
With the MSRP of the RTL hovering right around $39K, an OTD price of $33-34K would be a fantastic deal. I would expect you would be looking at a vehicle price in the $35-36K range (plus TTL). Vehicle pricing is pretty high right now for both new and used.

Honda financing rates are already based on people with great credit, so as mentioned previously by @smufguy, you won't get a better rate unless you go to a CU.

Registered
You will regret not having an E during night time driving. It's a shame Honda didn't improve the lighting on the lower trims for the refresh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I might try testing the waters with offers around ~$34k and see what they might come back with. Looks like overnight they reduced it to a "final price" of $36.940. Unless this is a gimmick to entice someone who has viewed it more than once, maybe they are actually trying to move these ones off the lot.

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, so would it be worth my time to wait until the end of the month/quarter/year? I hear there aren't going to be any major changes between the 2020 and 2021 model years so the price difference may be immaterial.

@14v6 Honestly I've found myself at times leaning more towards the Sport for the price savings, so I'm not sure I want to push my budget up to the RTL-E trim.

Registered
What's the issue with the 2020 RTL lighting?
I think everyone will agree that the stock headlights on anything but an E/BE are poor. Some have added bulbs on the lower trims to raise performance. It's just weird because I have projector halogens on my wife's CRV and on my Accord and they work well but on the RL they are unacceptable. There was a guy on the Accord forum DIYCARMODZ who has a youtube channel where he tests everything so I believe him. In a response to a question on the Accord forum he said that a halogen bulb gives the same performance as a led bulb. The only way to improve is with a HID kit. The RTL-E already has the issue solved with an engineered solution that is verified by IIHS testing. Many will debate the the LED replacement bulb results so it's up to you to decide.

Registered
Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I might try testing the waters with offers around ~$34k and see what they might come back with. Looks like overnight they reduced it to a "final price" of $36.940. Unless this is a gimmick to entice someone who has viewed it more than once, maybe they are actually trying to move these ones off the lot.

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, so would it be worth my time to wait until the end of the month/quarter/year? I hear there aren't going to be any major changes between the 2020 and 2021 model years so the price difference may be immaterial.

@14v6 Honestly I've found myself at times leaning more towards the Sport for the price savings, so I'm not sure I want to push my budget up to the RTL-E trim.
Yeah, the ship sailed on the Sports for the 2019's IIRC, someone got done in the 26k range. The RTL will have the window and the sunroof if that's your thing, if it had those damn headlights it would be the ultimate package. Honda did raise the RTL price more than the other trims for the 2020's.

Registered
I think everyone will agree that the stock headlights on anything but an E/BE are poor. Some have added bulbs on the lower trims to raise performance.
Personally, I don't think that is a good reason not to buy the RTL. I must admit I never tried my RTL on the stock bulbs as I switched them out for LEDs immediately (which is only a half hour job). The LEDs are perfectly adequate and compared to a E I saved $6-7K.

Premium Member
I switched the high beams to LED on my '19 RTL. The problem is that Honda uses the high beams on the RTL for the DRLs, so it kinda annoys other drivers when they have those piercing LEDs shining at them during the day. I usually switch my lights to "ON" instead of "AUTO" so that it uses the low beams for DRLs, but then it has that annoying chime that I left my lights on when I exit the truck (even though they automatically shut off).

The XenonDepot LEDs i have are much brighter than the stock halogen high beams. For low beams, I may just go with upgraded halogens, as I'm concerned that LEDs will annoy other drivers (and I know how much I hate that).

Registered
Personally, I don't think that is a good reason not to buy the RTL. I must admit I never tried my RTL on the stock bulbs as I switched them out for LEDs immediately (which is only a half hour job). The LEDs are perfectly adequate and compared to a E I saved $6-7K.
What year is your RTL? Got my 2019 RTL in November at ~6k off sticker - felt like I stole it - but haven't done the LED conversion yet.

Super Moderator
Honda was practically "giving away" their RL's at the end of 2019. You could get a great deal without even trying. Same type of deals they were offering back in 2008.

Reactions: 14v6

Registered
Hello everyone,

Prospective Ridgeline buyer here. I've never purchased a vehicle new before, but have been doing my research. After much searching for a used RTL-E, it looks like a new 2020 RTL AWD may be a better option since it has the features I care about, and from a cost-point it seems like it isn't much more expensive than a used 2017+ RTL-E.

I looked in the "Actual prices paid only" thread, but didn't find much for a 2020 RTL specifically. I know much has changed for this trim for 2020, so comparing it to previous years in that thread isn't exactly apples to apples. There are a few 2020 RTLs at a few dealerships near me, but I'm not 100% sure what to offer for an "OTD" price for an excellent deal. Would I be in the right ballpark at around 33-34k? TrueCar is showing "Excellent" prices at below 35k, but I'm not sure how far below 35k dealers may be willing to go.

Also, I know there is special 1.9% financing going on for new Ridgelines, but if a buyer has good credit, do they typically go lower?

Thanks!
Hello tacotron,
Purchased an AWD 2020 RTL June 6, MSRP $39,940, paid $34,353 plus TTL.

Registered
I have to say that I drive a 2018 Sport AWD and I am 70 years old and wear glasses and have never found my headlights lacking in any of my night driving. Is it the best? NO, but it is adequate.

Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl

Because of Covid and Alabama factory shuttering this is an unusual year. But generally the top trims go first; when I was looking around late last year there were a ton of AWD Sports and RTLs on the lots, but no E's and very few Blacks. I know that Honda was getting aggressive in moving stock off lots, and were offering good deals on these lower trims--about $31K for Sports and $33K for RTLs, Blacks for about $39K--but I held out for the 2020 and 9-speed.

If you can get an RTL for $35K now you're doing well, and 1.9% is a good rate (best I could get in April with top credit and good down was 2.7% through a Credit Union, Honda 1.9% wasn't available) so if you can weasel them down to mid-30s level, you're doing good. But be advised that 2020 production numbers will be lower than previous years, and at the end of the year those new lot pickings may be scarce.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts