Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seriously considering aftermarket wheels and tires until I saw this, yesterday....
"The Ridgeline’s tires and wheels were specifically designed to meet the load rating, handling, and crash performance of this vehicle. Any aftermarket wheel will not meet the strength requirements these wheels have been subjected to. Therefore it is an exceedingly bad idea to replace them with ANYTHING other than the Honda accessory wheel. Additionally, you should be aware making this type of modification voids any warranty claim relating to the suspension, brakes or drivetrain. "

·
Registered
114 Posts
I replaced my wheels with factory size. I wanted some chrome, but I did not want to change the wheel size. So, I searched and found some nice looking wheels. I replaced my wheels with 17 x 7.5. 42mm offset (I understand the 45mm is factory, but, I did not think 3mm would make that much of a difference) 5 x 120mm bolt circle. Pay attention to the front calipers, they are larger than others.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
At the dealer where I bought my truck, they had another brand new Ridgeline for sale already fitted with black Zinik Z9 Sabini's 20 x 8.5 rims. These have a 40mm offset. They wanted just over $3000 extra for the rims & tires, compared with about $1800 that you would pay at Tirerack (the wheels are $289 ea).
So, what about the warranty on that truck? Would the dealer be stuck with the costs if Honda say it's void?

The truck spec, at $40k is here. I bought mine on August 1st, so they haven't moved this truck in at least two months. I guess that's what you get for sticker shock.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Lingered, you pose an interesting question. The dealer that I was going to purchase my Ridgeline from had also sold one with 20 inch BMW wheels and different tires. One would expect the dealer to honor any warranty since they made the modification.

I guess the question would be whether or not Honda honored the warranty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wasn't surprised by Gary's very detailed comment about aftermarket wheels. He was very adamant about it when it got brought up in the focus group they had in Denver this Spring. I've mentioned this issue a couple times here;
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9679#post9679

and here; http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29617#post29617

Very nice guy, by the way and he was quite passionate about this truck.

If it were me, I'd contact Honda directly about warranty coverage on aftermarket items installed by a dealer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
milehigh said:
I wasn't surprised by Gary's very detailed comment about aftermarket wheels. He was very adamant about it when it got brought up in the focus group they had in Denver this Spring. I've mentioned this issue a couple times here;
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9679#post9679

and here; http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29617#post29617

Very nice guy, by the way and he was quite passionate about this truck.

If it were me, I'd contact Honda directly about warranty coverage on aftermarket items installed by a dealer.
EXCELLENT idea milhigh. if any of you folks have aftermarket wheels placed by the dealer, i would contact honda immediately. Flint was clear on voided warranty for more than just the wheels..........made a big deal of it so if you have different wheels, better make a big deal of it too. :eek:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Who is Gary Flint?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Gary Flint is incorrect (overstating) the voiding of the warranty if you use aftermarket rims - at least under US Law

The only way new rims could void the warranty is if there was something about the rims that caused another part of the truck to fail.

For example if you have wider rims and it causes the wheel bearings to fail - your fault. But if the new rims/tires are the same diameter as stock and and the engine blows a gasket - Honda has to cover it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gary Flint is incorrect (overstating) the voiding of the warranty if you use aftermarket rims - at least under US Law

The only way new rims could void the warranty is if there was something about the rims that caused another part of the truck to fail.

For example if you have wider rims and it causes the wheel bearings to fail - your fault. But if the new rims/tires are the same diameter as stock and and the engine blows a gasket - Honda has to cover it.
My understanding of what he said in the interview and what he said in the focus group in May was if aftermarket wheels caused something like wheelbearing failure and such, it would void the warranty on the parts that were directly affected by the aftermarket wheels. It would not void the entire warranty on every part - your engine, electrical systems and such would still be covered. The customer rep that was with Gary in the focus group confirmed that in a discussion about an aftermarket exhaust system another owner put on his RL. If the exhaust system caused a heat problem under the vehicle like warping the rear bumper covering, Honda wouldn't cover that. But, the warranty would remain intact for the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I noticed he also mentioned that the rate at which oil changes are done will affect at what rate the maintenance minder calculates for other services such as transmission fluid, etc to be performed. this makes me think that changing the oil at too early of intervals will cause too early of maintenance on other calculated service areas. This would then increase the over all maintenance cost for this vehicle.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
jeffiam said:
I noticed he also mentioned that the rate at which oil changes are done will affect at what rate the maintenance minder calculates for other services such as transmission fluid, etc to be performed. this makes me think that changing the oil at too early of intervals will cause too early of maintenance on other calculated service areas. This would then increase the over all maintenance cost for this vehicle.
I interpreted that to mean that it tried to remind you of multiple services at the same time, so that you can get everything done in one trip to the dealer. Not that it would actually change the other service intervals. How did everyone else interpret this?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
After rereading it, I got the same impression. It appears that all other service intervals are linked to the oil change interval as calculated by the computer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Webwader said:
After rereading it, I got the same impression. It appears that all other service intervals are linked to the oil change interval as calculated by the computer.
Indeed. I think the computer takes into effect how often you change the oil to aid in determining other services. for example, change the oil every 3000 miles and the computer is programmed to determine extreme conditions being cause so other fluids/parts must be subject to those same conditions. Therefore, earlier service intervals will be calculated........So, i think i will use a synthetic blend oil and let the on board tell me when to change it. Thats not easy for me to do but i don't want to throw off the whole system and pay more for unneccessary services. Lower maintenance costs are a plus to ownership and should not be over run. (i still may change oil earlier in june-sept, since here in tx it gets up to and over 100 in the summer?)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm assuming Mr Flint is more concerned over more extreme changes in the tire/rim sizes?

Because when the tread wears out on these I was planning on keeping the same 17" rims, but going with a slighter bigger tire, stock is 245/65/17.

I just wanted to go with a 255/70/17 and get some nifty white lettering on the tires to make it look more agressive.

I can't see this causing too much trouble, it would only throw things off what maybe 2-3%?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I also took his statement to mean that the service chip is programmed not so much on mileage but use and I guess Honda believes that is best determined by oil change intervals. I knew the oil life monitor factors in some driving habits (such as cold start, short trips) by means of engine revolutions, temps, etc. but I was not aware that other service notices were tied into that. It makes sense in some ways (although I'm not sure some things like tire rotations based on oil changes makes sense). Shorter oil change intervals than required by the oil life monitor means severe use such as very hot, dusty conditions, heavy towing, etc., and these are factors that the OLM can not detect and know. As jeffiam said, the other components, such as transmission, are also subjected to this use and should be treated accordingly.

It would appear that Honda is making the OLM the center brain for all the service requirements and all the program's assumptions are based on that. It certainly is not factoring in the old mind set (or just plain habit many people still have) of an arbitrary X miles/X months oil change interval. The 3 month/3000K oil changes are no longer applicable in most situations given the excellent oil packs and well engineered engines of today. Honda is bringing us into the modern world. In fact, the manual makes no mention of mile or month factors other than to say that if you drive so few miles that the service due notice never comes on, go ahead and change the oil once a year.

I would think that under most normal driving conditions, changing the oil between 15% and 0% (service due and service past due, respectively) will not throw the other service notices off and is probably the best way to go all the way around. Through a complicated set of assumptions, these percentages are what Honda believes to be the life expectancy of the oil, based on your driving habits. There is some leeway here and a GM engineer who worked on their OLM said the assumptions could have as much as a 50% safety factor involved. Of course, a periodic oil analysis by Amsoil, Blackstone or some other well established lab is the safest way to determine if indeed the OLM is accurate for your kind of driving.

·
Registered
460 Posts
swampler said:
I'd still like to see this officially from Honda. Anyone with a contact that can find out for us?
Gary Flint: The oil life monitoring system uses a complex series of calculations based on engine revolutions, time, and temperature to calculate service intervals. The associated other service requirements are estimated based on oil change intervals to organize the service requirements for tire rotation, transmission oil changes, etc. Under normal use, there is no need to service the vehicle more frequently than recommended by the smart maintenance system. If you are towing a heavy trailer, the system does not compensate for the transmission or rear differential service interval. You should consult the maintenance guide supplied with the vehicle and adjust the oil change frequency of the transmission and rear differential accordingly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bob79 said:
I'm assuming Mr Flint is more concerned over more extreme changes in the tire/rim sizes?

Because when the tread wears out on these I was planning on keeping the same 17" rims, but going with a slighter bigger tire, stock is 245/65/17.

I just wanted to go with a 255/70/17 and get some nifty white lettering on the tires to make it look more agressive.

I can't see this causing too much trouble, it would only throw things off what maybe 2-3%?
I've been following the wheel discussions to see if anyone runs into any problems. Not that I was planning to buy different wheels but I changed the wheel size on my Dodge Ram a few years ago because the wheel well openings are huge compared to the OEM tire and I thought it would look so much better with bigger tires. Then I found out why you don't do that. I ended up with warped rotors which I replaced with slotted rotors for higher temps and then got the brake drums out of round next. Fixed that and the rotors warped again. I went back to the specified wheel size and all these problems stopped occuring. It could be a coincidence but I'm not changing the tire size on my Ridgeline. Getting it wrong is way too expensive. Your milage may vary. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts