Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all - I just joined the Club and am searching for help on a problem that I have encountered concening Excessive Wear of the fabric or upholstry used on the Front Seat, in particular the Drivers Side.

My RTS Ridgeline is Blue Metallic with the Gray Cloth Interior, purchased in early July, 2005. It was assembled in Canada, delivered to Salt Lake City then trucked to Reno, NV.

Upon receipt, the Drivers Seat showed signs of excessive wear in the lower left corner (closest to door) and along the left side of the seat. This is not in a place which would normally catch the eye.

The dealer inspected it, determined it to be a manufacturing defect and ordered a replacement which was installed in late July.

In October, I noticed that the same seat is starting to show a similiar wear pattern, approximately 5,000 miles. I contacted the dealer and scheduled a meeting with the Honda Field Representative from Salt Lake City. He took several pictures and advised that he would contact me within a week with a solution. The Field Representative also noted that the rubber moulding on the interior close to the seat starting about the Arm Rest and going down about 6 inches had split.

It has now been about 5 weeks, I contacted my dealer and I was advised that the problem is still under review. I was further advised that there had been 'No Other Complaints'. Since the first wear problem developed prior to my receiving the vehicle and has now reoccured, I find this very hard to believe. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone owning a Ridgeline with Cloth Seats, especially those with the Gray Cloth, inspect their seat for any visible wear and post your results here.

Thanks to all of you in advance and being there.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't have the cloth either but I do have the rubber split and a few others do as well on BOTH sides in the front.
I have the parts on order.
Welcome to the ROC family. It's a great place to be. :)

L

·
0 Posts
swampler said:
I've noticed a "wrinkle" on the left side of the seat and the cloth in the middle of the seat appears to be getting loose, or at least looks loose, as opposed to the tightness that was there when new.
My nephew bought an 05 Accord this year and one month later had to bring it back to get the panel changed on the front seat due to wrinkles and obvious wear. I think it may be an issue for all of them. They did "goodwill" the fix but said only once.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
LadyRidge said:
My nephew bought an 05 Accord this year and one month later had to bring it back to get the panel changed on the front seat due to wrinkles and obvious wear. I think it may be an issue for all of them. They did "goodwill" the fix but said only once.
I've never had a vehicle with such sensitive seats...even our '01 Accord. My wife has some jeans with some sort of decor (rhinestones?) on them that "scratches" the cloth seats, but doesn't bother hers. If it's truly a problem with Honda seats, you would think it would be warranty and not "goodwill." :mad:

L

·
0 Posts
swampler said:
I've never had a vehicle with such sensitive seats...even our '01 Accord. My wife has some jeans with some sort of decor (rhinestones?) on them that "scratches" the cloth seats, but doesn't bother hers. If it's truly a problem with Honda seats, you would think it would be warranty and not "goodwill." :mad:
That's what I said to the Honda rep.
As the Customer Service Rep, it was my job to make everyone happy. I had to do some real arguing at times to get these people their due. Shouldn't be that way but it's mostly at the Dealer level that the problem meets with stubbornness. They ( dealers ) DO have leverage with the Reps. :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
swampler said:
Well, I've got Friday off. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order. Get that checked and the water/condensation in my bed lights.
Good idea. Let us know what transpires. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
My Trooper seats looked like that, but that was after 12 years. I agree with LadyRidge.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
6000 miles on my RTS and the seats look like brand new so it doesn't look like that should be happening for sure.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What do you carry in your left back pocket? That looks like it could be an excessive wallet wear, but that shouldn't happen so soon.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
No way NVRidger, we have 7200 miles on our RTS and have always slid in and out of the seats. Both seats look as good as the day we brought it home. Take her back and hopefully your dealer will take care of you. Let us know the outcome and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all of you that have responded and all the rest that have viewed this thread.

In response to those of you who asked questions;

Msg #16 - Belt Rub - I normally wear blue jeans and always wear one of two belts that are plain and free of anything that would scratch the seat.

Msg #17 - Wallet Wear - Yes, it might be a contributing factor since I always carry a wallet in that pocket. However, in all of my 50 years of driving this is the first time that so much wear has shown up in that area in such a short amount of time.

Msg #18 - Sliding In/Out, Large Person - I have been paying a lot of attention to how I enter and exit the vehicle. I don't slide that much on entry, however, I do turn myself sideways to exit (again something that I have done for many years).
As for my physical size, I am 6' 3" tall and weigh 230. I hope this is not the problem!

As for an update;

I stopped by the dealer today, wanted to check on the new fuse box effecting the locking of the doors and see if there were any new developments on this seat wear problem. The Honda Field Representative was on-site, we had a discussion on how to proceed. It was decided that another cloth seat cover would be ordered along with the rubber moulding and interior plastic door jam (which he found to have some scratches).

I asked about problems with the interior moulding (LadyRidge - Msg #3) and was advised that there was no significant problem and it was not considered a product defect.

As for the Fuse Box, they were unaware of anything concerning the change. The new part number could not be located in the catalog nor was any product report available at this time.

Although I like this vehicle, this problem make me wish that I had chosen the RTL with leather seats. I sure do not want these cloth covered seats to have holes in them after a year or two. Again, thanks to all of you who have taken the time to check your vehicle and respond. Please keep an eye out for any abnormal wear get it taken care of by your dealer.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Don't be too quick to wish for the leather, there have been issues with those as well, puckering and other oddities. I may have to go get my passenger cover replaced again on ours because the one they put in to replace the original is now puckering a little in the middle, of course I suspected this might happen when I requested a replacement cover before delivery.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts