Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for a larger project, these replacement headlight assemblies were purchased from Amazon a while back.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S92WJNM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

KHC Model.jpg

KHC Label.jpg

The overall build quality of these was commented on in this thread:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...-what-do-ya-think-about-these-headlights.html

This last weekend, the opportunity to install them came to pass. Even though I had closely inspected them before installation (I was looking for ways to modify/add "ghost" back lights as an alternative to running lights without "baking" the lens covers off - similar to a projector lens mod), I totally missed how whacked the bulb head reflector was so terribly out of alignment.

KHC Reflector.jpg

I have no direct experience with headlight alignment in the RL, but if I understand correctly, the mirrored lens "floats" inside the assembly raising/lowering the beam. Meaning, the bulb remains fixed but the reflector lens assembly moves. I see no evidence of the bulb fixture being adjustable and if its mount is fixed, the reflector in front of the bulb should be "pre-aligned", do I have that right?

If it's true the bulb and its fixture remain fixed, check out how angled the passenger side is compared to the driver side:

Passenger Side Wonky.jpg

Pre/post light comparison:

OEM_KHC Comparo.jpg

Along with an out-of-box OSC radiator failure, this issue is making me wonder if I somehow crapped in the Wheatie bowl of an auto Gremlin. Or maybe Murphy has been planning an attack.

06 remains up on jacks awaiting resolution to the radiator and headlight issue. Whatever these vendors do, they better move it! Need this stuff resolved before next weekend, damn it.

I'm seeking words of wisdom from you guys before approaching the Amazon seller of these assemblies.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ah man. Bummer they didn't work. I read a lot of places on this brand headlight and it seems they were a lot of hit and miss. Some were flawless and some were flaw-full but mostly everyone either got there money back or got functional replacements from the seller. So hopefully you will have the same experience in your return/exchange process. Mine came in almost perfectly adjusted(maybe a little low) I have not fiddled with them yet.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Here is the biggest problem your going to have Six, Amazon has a 30 day return policy. You've greatly exceeded that, and I believe that will be your problem with the RockAuto/OSC Radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah man. Bummer they didn't work. I read a lot of places on this brand headlight and it seems they were a lot of hit and miss. Some were flawless and some were flaw-full but mostly everyone either got there money back or got functional replacements from the seller. So hopefully you will have the same experience in your return/exchange process. Mine came in almost perfectly adjusted(maybe a little low) I have not fiddled with them yet.
The first clue there was an bulb alignment "issue" was orienting the weather boot, the bulb connector protruding thru the boot was noticeably off center causing the boot to slightly deform. Inspecting the OEM housing, the boot appeared dead center - same with the new HL bucket on the driver side. It was only after attaching the assembly to the body the angle of the front reflector screamed misalignment. Perhaps stupidly, I removed the bulb, reaching inside with needle nose to pull the front reflector into visible alignment with the bulb.

Then the damned OSC radiator proved to be defective right out of the box. Disgusted, the tools were put away and I called it a day. I've learned not to keep trying at a certain point. Better to let cooler heads prevail kind of thing.

I waited for dark to check how light projected on the garage door. 06 is up on jack stands so before/after images are from the same driveway position. Been thinking about how alignment might work in these assemblies so I overlaid a grid on before/after images, trying to maintain alignment with door panel sections/cosmetic features. Since there is only one alignment mechanism, I assume it to be Y axis only with X being fixed. IF that's true, perhaps the "issue" can be resolved by adjustment.

I was so disgusted with a confluence of product disappointments on this project, I didn't even try!

HL_Align.jpg

Center of the light seems closely aligned on the Y axis. If the housing isn't a perfect example of a horrible manufacturing defect, perhaps things can be corrected. I'll give it a shot tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HL_Align.jpg

Center of the light seems closely aligned on the Y axis. < (correction: X axis) If the housing isn't a perfect example of a horrible manufacturing defect, perhaps things can be corrected. I'll give it a shot tonight.
For the 138,930,741st time, when in doubt.... RTFSM.

As suspected, the X axis is fixed, Y is adjustable. It's a fine thread, taking a whole mess of turns to make it visibly move. At first I thought the headlight assembly was bad all the way around, but it eventually came up to align with the drive side.

HeadlightAimed.jpg

Another bit of info under the belt.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That doesnt look to bad of an output. Glad ya got it figured out. Is the little dome thingy a little crooked still?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesnt look to bad of an output. Glad ya got it figured out. Is the little dome thingy a little crooked still?
Thru the use of sheer ignorance, the bulb reflector doo-dad alignment issue was resolved - by removing the bulb/socket, reaching in with small needle nose and blindly pulling on the dome thingy with the same vigor a teenage boy might pull his pud after a day at the beach watching a girls volley ball tournament.

PasSideFixed.jpg

I'm pretty sure the key to success was the use of primal oral emissions - mimicking how I imagine Neanderthal man might sound yanking and pulling at a strange object, not having a clue what he was looking at.

There's plenty of evidence how modern day knuckle dragging mouth breathers sound, all we have to do is visit Walmart where they congregate weekday afternoons, there will be plenty there pointing and staring at things on shelves, mouth agape, confused and oblivious to their surroundings.

But since there are no actual recordings of Neanderthal man - mimicking them required a little imagination. So I used a variation of Chimp utterances - slightly elongating the sounds they make when perplexed by an unknown object. Sort like OOOO-oooo, OOO-ooo, OO-oo-agh? Difficult to convey in text form. But it seemed to have worked in this test case.

For anyone interested in using this sound during their next project, I'll gladly share a recording - but I make no claims to success or failure and certainly don't imply warranty with its use.

Or search youtube for Tim Allen as Tool Man Taylor. That's pretty close the sound that worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First drive tonight with new headlight assemblies. MAN! It was like driving a different vehicle, the light was noticeably crisper than the fogged OEMs, almost projector like with a definitive sharp edge along the top.

Pulling into the drive way, grabbed a couple shots. The image doesn't quite capture the sharpness.

IMG_20160328_194154465.jpg

IMG_20160328_194240926.jpg

In the day, the change in is growing on me but at night, they really shine. Punny, huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts