Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change up interior contrast and texture, Plasidip's description of Smoke sounded interesting: "a semi-translucent grey product. Can be used for tinting or applications where a darker, but see through finish is desired. Creates a matte finish - not gloss."
https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/smoke
Plasti Dip Smoke | Plasti Dip Interntional

Toning down the aluminum-ish finish of the speedo-surround and front door handles was what I had in mind - I liked the idea of altering color with a translucent coating - and definitely wanted to lower the "sheen" - so I gave Smoke a shot.

The speedo ring and door handles were given 4 coats. I like the rubbery texture & matte finish but color is still a little bright - at least for what I had in mind.

RingAndHandle.jpg

RingAndHorn.jpg

Installed.jpg

RingAndShifter.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,286 Posts
Comparing the speedo trim ring to the steering wheel trim, I agree it doesn't look like it was worth the effort. But comparing the shift lever to the speedo trim ring it looks like a flat matte, and a nice darker look.

I've worked with tint similar to the one Bob suggested years ago and the nice thing compared to the plasti-dip products is it will go on thinner and allow more layers, but it is a permanent change with which you will only go back with a new part to replace the existing parts.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are still looking for something darker, you might want to try this.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP999-Nit...r=8-1&keywords=VHT+SP999+Nite-Shade+Lens+Tint

I used it ages ago to tint the tail lights darker on a black car. Add enough layers and it gets pretty dark. it dries to a matte finish and can be top coated with satin or gloss clear.
Comparing the speedo trim ring to the steering wheel trim, I agree it doesn't look like it was worth the effort. But comparing the shift lever to the speedo trim ring it looks like a flat matte, and a nice darker look.

I've worked with tint similar to the one Bob suggested years ago and the nice thing compared to the plasti-dip products is it will go on thinner and allow more layers, but it is a permanent change with which you will only go back with a new part to replace the existing parts.

Good Luck
Thanks guys. The idea of building layers to achieve desired shade is attractive. On the other hand, permanence is spooky.

This translucent thing kinda reminds me of pearl paint in terms of how it varies from almost no base color change to way darker - depending on light. What remains consistent is reduced sheen, specially when the sun hits the grab handles, which is much appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend doing this as a stand alone project, way too much work. But if someone happened to be working in the doors and behind the dash, its an easy/worthwhile addition to those projects.

Smoke was purchased along with two other Plastidip colors so next time the doors and dash come apart, perhaps another choice could be made. I wonder if metallic black might be cool?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Well, it you're gonna paint it, I say go for a dark grey Hammertone finish.

I bet there is a place near you that does Hydro-Dipping. Charcoal Carbon fiber would look great, you could have your midrange pods/grills dipped at the same time and then everything would match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts