Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those using the Extang Solid Fold 2.0, which I believe is also the one Honda sells, are you having trouble with low spots forming on the front and rear panels. I noticed mine when I parked in the rain and had four puddles on top, the bigger ones on the front panel. Being only three months old and parking the truck in the garage every day, I showed the truck accessory dealer I purchased it from. At first, he tried to tell me I had tightened the mounts too tight. I assured him the knobs were hand tight and I never used any tools to tighten them. The directions say to tighten them by hand, and push down on the corners to compress the seal and help with proper tightening. Then, re-tighten after a few days.

The accessory dealer used a straight edge to show the extent of the low spots and sent pictures to Extang. The bed cover was replaced under warranty and the DEALER installed it for me... tightening the mounts "properly." Well, here it is, five days later... guess what's forming... low spots!!! I backed off the tension the dealer tightened it to by one full turn. It's barely compressing the seal now. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS with either the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 or the "genuine" Honda version???

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
I don’t own a Solid Fold now but LOTS of OEM Honda tonneaus have this problem, including the one I used to own. It is believed that Honda sources from Advantage, a sister company to Extang —and that Advantage is working directly out of Extang’s parts bin. Both tonneaus are made from FRP (fiberglass reinforced polymer), in other words plastic. The low polnts and leaking through the hinge and edge border seams has been documented by me and several others. One ROC member tested the Solid Fold 2 with a hose. Three out of the four Solid Folds Extang Support sent him leaked at the seams. This was 2 or 3 years ago. Extang knows that people are having problems.

I estimate that the Solid Fold and Honda tonneaus are about 95% identical. Of the two, the Solid Fold is slightly less a bad product. I don’t recommend either one of them. If you like that sort of design get the Rugged Liner Premium Hard Folding Cover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts