Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody Installed the Extang Encore Tonneau on the G2?

I've been looking at the Extang Encore Tonneau cover for my RTL. Would like to hear from folks that have it and what they think of it.

Also, don't like the idea of having to drill two 3/4" holes in the bed for the drain hoses. Your experience and thoughts if you've done this.

Thanks to everyone. The forums are such a great source of ideas and knowledge!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Re: Anybody Installed the Extang Encore Tonneau on the G2?

I have installed one and have posted pretty extensively about it here, but I am going to do another write-up about it after having had it for about a month.

In a nutshell, I also wasn't willing to drill holes in my truck bed either and instead point the hose toward the existing weep holes. It's an imperfect solution but works well enough for my needs. Since I posted to that thread, I have also added a different seal to the edge of the front "bed rail", dealt with the gaps in the bed rail, and re-added the upper rear tie downs (the instructions say not to, but everything works just fine with them on top of the rail mounting plates.

So as it stands now, it has rained pretty well a couple of times since the tonneau was installed and it doesn't leak at all, but I do get a little stream of water on the sides from the weep holes not accommodating all of the water from the drain hose. I have read that others have drilled them out to enlarge them a bit, but I have not done that yet.

Otherwise, I like the look and have learned to live with the trunk hitting the rails. I didn't think that I would care about being able to open the front, but it has proven to be useful when some of the load shifts. Additionally, the tonneau can be taken off entirely by one person for full bed access in less than a minute, and because the front locks, it prevents this from happening by somebody that shouldn't be doing it.

Anyway, I have been happy with it, and I think that for anybody that can tolerate it limiting the trunk opening, I can give it a solid recommendation.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Also, don't like the idea of having to drill two 3/4" holes in the bed for the drain hoses.
Wow, I don't blame you. Do the instructions really call for a 3/4" hole? That seems massive. I haven't followed the installation details but did see some pics of others using very thin tubing to access the existing drain holes. It seems a more elegant method must exist. This makes me not want any cover that requires drain tubes. When the time comes it looks like I'll get another Peragon cover as I had one on my old Dodge Dakota.

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts

I put the Extang Trifecta on my RL over the w/e. It's a great cover IMO. And the Black Friday sale was worth it for the extra 20% off.

Steve M

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes it does call for 3/4" holes (one on each side). I've attached a copy of the Ridgeline installation instructions for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the good info Marshall. I did not know (or think about) the trunk lid hitting the side rails for the Encore. That sucks. Just wonder how much the trunk lid will open with those rails on there?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts

Don't drill the holes. I have the Encore and have been pretty happy so far. Be prepared to fight the battle with the gaps at the front of the bed, which will likely impact every cover that comes out.

Linked below is the page on the Aftermarket Tonneau thread where I posted pictures and information on what I did for the drain tubes, that have been working pretty good so far.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/169-2g-accessories-performance-parts-modifications/134849-aftermarket-tonneau-covers-who-has-them-out-66.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys,
many of us have been torn over which cover to buy...Extang or the OEM
I just got off a chat with EXTANG
I agree with one of you that the OEM is an Extang product ...looks exact
These are the links to the 2 Extang covers in question:

Solid fold 2.0----OEM? (raised cover that sits on top of sides)
http://www.extang.com/solid-fold-folding-tonneau-covers2.html

Encore (low profile cover that sits inside the sides)
http://www.extang.com/encore-folding-tonneau-covers.html

Here is a copy of the chat with the Extang representative that I think answered all our questions.

Although I asked about reversing the drains to let them drain out around the inbed trunk / tailgate---I would love to know if this would actually work and avoid drilling holes in the bed for the Encore. I don't think a video for the Ridgeline is forthcoming.

Hope this helps...im still undecided.

Chat transcript

Extang Mon, 01/30/17 01:21:38 pm America/New_York

Hello, would you like to talk about our products?

Client 01:21:38 pm

Just bought a 2017 Honda ridgeline RTL-E

Extang 01:21:51 pm

How can I help you?

Client 01:21:57 pm

Was trying to decide on the Encore or the Solid fold 2.0
The solid fold is basically the Honda OEM cover correct?
01:22:41 pm

Extang 01:24:01 pm

The Solid Fold 2.0 is an Extang cover.
I am not sure what is used on the Honda for OEM purposes.

Client 01:25:01 pm

ok--does the Solid fold have rails that would block the opening of the bed trunk

Extang 01:25:22 pm

Yes, partially. You still have access to about 80% of the trunk opening.

Client 01:25:59 pm

even if the top is folded back it will still interfere with the trunk?

Extang 01:26:27 pm

Yes, the rails will block the truck from fully opening.

Client 01:27:14 pm

ok now the Encore requires drain holes to be drilled and the solid fold does not?

Extang 01:27:26 pm

Yes, that is correct.
The Encore has drain tubes that need a spot to drain to.

Client 01:28:04 pm

besides that what is the main difference----just the front opening on the encore?

Extang 01:29:15 pm

Yes, the Encore opens from the cab end and also has a built in lock.

Client 01:29:53 pm

does the Encore keep things drier then the solid fold?

Extang 01:31:07 pm

No, they will both be equal in their protection from water.

Client 01:31:58 pm

is there away to put the drain tubes towards the tailgate to negate the need to drill holes..or is the angle of the truck bed require them to be by the front?
so why the need for drain tubes on the Encore?
01:32:20 pm

Extang 01:33:04 pm

If you wanted to get extra drain plugs you can put them at the tail gate, but you would still need to drill so they have a place to go to.
The Encore is a low profile system that mounts on rails inside the bed.
This creates an opportunity for water so we utilize the drain rail/tubes to help clear that water from the bed. 01:34:06 pm

Client 01:34:29 pm

so why cant you just move the drain tubes to the tailgate and let it drain around the trunk
or out the tailgate 01:35:18 pm

Extang 01:36:47 pm

You can move them to the tail end but that doesn't change the fact that you need to drill holes for them to drain from.

Client 01:37:48 pm

okjust wondering to move them to the back and let them self drain by tailgate instead of drilling holes in my bed
would prefer NOT to drill holes in the bed 01:39:04 pm

Extang 01:39:16 pm

For the Encore you have to drill unfortunately.

Client 01:39:33 pm

how much are additional drains for tailgate end?
and part number?

Extang 01:40:24 pm

PN#35541850C - Drivers side
PN#35541851C - Passenger side

Client 01:40:43 pm

What are the part numbers for each of the covers?

Extang 01:41:02 pm

But switching them around they will likely flip flop for your use.
Solid Fold 2.0 #83590

Client 01:41:29 pm

yes was just thinking that

Extang 01:41:30 pm

Encore #62590

Client 01:41:41 pm

ok great..thx for the help

Extang 01:42:02 pm

No problem.
Just to be clear, I don't think you will have a problem doing what you asked but we have not tested it this way.

Client 01:43:02 pm

ok great--I would like to hear from you if they do test this

Extang 01:43:11 pm

But, it should damage the rails so if it doesn't work out for our you can put the regular drain catches in place.

Client 01:43:42 pm

how would it damage the rails--they need to be cut?

Extang 01:43:46 pm

I don't expect this to be something we test. The cover has been out for 4 years now and it has not been considered or tested to my knowledge.
Sorry, it should have read should'nt 01:44:06 pm
They are only glued in so no damage will come to the rails.

Client 01:44:45 pm

figured that the Honda is a new / different vehicle, so a video on it would help many ridgeline owners decide on a cover
ok great 01:45:09 pm

Extang 01:45:18 pm

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Client 01:45:52 pm

nope please email the chat so I can post it in the Honda ridgeline forums to help other owners
thank you 01:47:06 pm

·
Registered
998 Posts
Drains are on cab or frt because of the way the truck sits. Angle or stance. I have a Gen1 RTL with the BAK GERRY 2v

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sorry continuance of last post hit post before I figured out what I have just did.I have a gen 1 RTL with the BAK G2 Cover and it has drains on the back that fold down and dumped into the drains in the bed. I'm not familiar with the Gen 2 bed but I'm assuming it's about the same with the drains. I have been through some pretty bad rain storms and snowstorms and have not had a flooded or even think about a flooded bed at all with this BAK G2 cover.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice chat post. Thanks.

Extang Soild Fold 2.0 sits on top of the walls so don't need drainage holes drilled. But, the rails still impede the opening of the bed trunk.

Certainly, the price from RealTrucks is a lot lower than the $1800+ Honda wants for it in Canada. Even at the current exchange it is about a $600 savings to avoid the Honda option.

Any other viable tonneau cover I should be looking at if I want solid and no drilling? Already investigated the BaKflip

·
Registered
33 Posts
Extang Soild Fold 2.0 sits on top of the walls so don't need drainage holes drilled. But, the rails still impede the opening of the bed trunk.
I have a Solid Fold 2.0. The rails do not impede the opening of the bed trunk. The passenger side rubs slightly, but the trunk lid opens fully.

I don't know why the Extang Rep would say the trunk lid would open only 80%.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hello Guys,

I just got an Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tri-fold fot my 2018 RTL. It installed relatively easily, looks and works great. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Can I get my rebate now? HAHA

No, really - I like it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was going back and forth between the Extang Tri-fold and the OEM. Finally put my money down on the OEM. Should be here around the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope you got a good price on the cover. I bought mine from Bernardi Honda a few days after I purchased my RTL in June 2017. It has been a good cover for me.

I see that Bernardi has them now for $689 and had free shipping recently.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a Solid Fold 2.0. The rails do not impede the opening of the bed trunk. The passenger side rubs slightly, but the trunk lid opens fully.

I don't know why the Extang Rep would say the trunk lid would open only 80%.
This is my experience also with the Solid Fold 2.0. The rubbing on the passenger side is very minimal and the trunk lid easily opens all the way. I've also found so far that anything I want to put in the trunk can be done without folding the top back at all...or contacting the rub point.

As for water, yes a little comes in the corners at the touchless wash, but easily drains out the OEM drains. Given that most anything I put in there will sit across the raised bed construction, I've no concerns about the little bit that gets in there. I did do some tailgate seal weather stripping on and also added a little in the corners.

I'm quite satisfied with the Extang product. I just wish Honda had put a lock on the tailgate instead of the bed trunk. One tailgate lock (electric and keyed) would have served both purposes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is my experience also with the Solid Fold 2.0. The rubbing on the passenger side is very minimal and the trunk lid easily opens all the way. I've also found so far that anything I want to put in the trunk can be done without folding the top back at all...or contacting the rub point.

As for water, yes a little comes in the corners at the touchless wash, but easily drains out the OEM drains. Given that most anything I put in there will sit across the raised bed construction, I've no concerns about the little bit that gets in there. I did do some tailgate seal weather stripping on and also added a little in the corners.

I'm quite satisfied with the Extang product. I just wish Honda had put a lock on the tailgate instead of the bed trunk. One tailgate lock (electric and keyed) would have served both purposes.
Pretty much the same experience with my SF2. Still looking for the OEM brackets for a reasonable price in Canada.

Actually just found some iro $70US. Can anyone confirm the SF2 can use the OEM brackets #08Z07-T6Z-100R1 so I can get rid of the side rails? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 RTL
6 Posts
Did this go anywhere? The whole reason I want the Extang is to avoid the side rails. If I have to buy the brackets from Honda anyway and they may or may not work with the cover from Extang then that eliminates them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with the Extang Trifecta 2.0 because I could keep all the stock tie down cleats. Also because it takes less than 1 minute to remove it from the truck when I need the full bed. It is only about 1-2 minutes to reinstall too. The only down sides are the trunk lid touches the rails when you fully open the trunk. Also, water will pool a little on the canvas material when it rains.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts