Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought my '19 Ridgeline about 2 months ago, so I'm a pretty new owner.

Does anyone else have the Extang Trifecta 2.0 Soft folding Tonneau Cover? I just bought one for my 2019 Honda Ridgeline. I put it on about 2 weeks ago and things seemed good. It even seemed to keep the rain out initially.

I took it off this past weekend to put my motorcycle in the back of the truck. Later that day, I came home and put the cover back on.

The next day it rained heavily and when I swung open the tailgate in the morning, I was bummed to see that water had gotten in...it looks like from the front left and right corners, running back along the length of the bed somewhat. It was dry from the lockable hatch to the tailgate.

I am not sure if I don't have it positioned quite right or if there is something else going on?

Do I need to do something special to prevent it from leaking? I was excited to have a way to keep stuff dry in the back besides the lockable trunk, but at the moment I have to be concerned anytime it rains hard.

Thank you for any info!

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
I've had the Trifecta on my RL for 2 years now. I've noticed that it would leak a little back by the back window when I took it on and off. But then it stops and might only get a smidgen of water after a few days (or a week). I'm thinking that those soft pads back there conform eventually under the pressure of the clamp system to the stepped area by the back window and then it quits leaking and seals up. I've never really looked at it that closely just because it leaked so little it wasn't worth worrying about. I've never gotten anything wet back there under the cover soo.......

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Steve.

How tight do you make the clamps by the cab? Really tight or snug? The first time I put it on, I could see a sliver of light on the drivers side. So I tightened it more to eliminate that. I have them really tight now...maybe too tight?

It's not supposed to rain here until Friday, so I'll see how it does then.

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
Yes, originally i too saw the light. Clamped them down more. I make them tight not overly tight. Too tight and you'll break something I'm sure.

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

How tight do you make the clamps by the cab? Really tight or snug? The first time I put it on, I could see a sliver of light on the drivers side. So I tightened it more to eliminate that. I have them really tight now...maybe too tight?

It's not supposed to rain here until Friday, so I'll see how it does then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if something else could be added to the cover to help seal that up there. As long as it doesn't come back to the trunk area, I'm probably ok. It will be interesting to see what melting snow or ice gets in, as I live in Pennsylvania and we usually have snowy winters.

I'm using this to replace an SUV as our family vehicle, so I'm trying to get as much usable storage space as I can.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I thought about you problem Joe, I remember having an issue years ago with a leaking tonneau. I used some foam tape designed to allow a better seal on your tonneau or topper. It worked pretty well. I was living in Upstate New York at the time,and did not want leaks during the winter.
API LDTT150P Topper Tape® for Mounting Truck Caps / Camper Shells (1 roll 1-1/2" x 30' long).

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
You also have the 4 small channels in the front to "level" or fill to make the surface flat - two in the front behind the window and one on each side in the bed rail cap.

There's a really long thread about different tonneau covers and who has them available, but on this post, @phineas discusses the channels that need to be filled to provide a flat bed rail cap surface. This is a common discussion amongst tonneau cover owners of any type...
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...u-covers-who-has-them-out-16.html#post2160697

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I thought about you problem Joe, I remember having an issue years ago with a leaking tonneau. I used some foam tape designed to allow a better seal on your tonneau or topper. It worked pretty well. I was living in Upstate New York at the time,and did not want leaks during the winter.
API LDTT150P Topper Tape® for Mounting Truck Caps / Camper Shells (1 roll 1-1/2" x 30' long).
You also have the 4 small channels in the front to "level" or fill to make the surface flat - two in the front behind the window and one on each side in the bed rail cap.

There's a really long thread about different tonneau covers and who has them available, but on this post, @phineas discusses the channels that need to be filled to provide a flat bed rail cap surface. This is a common discussion amongst tonneau cover owners of any type...
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...u-covers-who-has-them-out-16.html#post2160697
Thank you for all of your help! This is my first tonneau cover, so I didn't exactly know what to expect. I was hoping maybe there was something I could apply to try to seal it off better. I don't mind a little bit of water, but I also don't want to have to worry every time it rains hard that I can't have anything susceptible to water back there.

Thanks again!

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts