Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this tonneau for 2014 SE after having a similar ACCESS on an earlier model. I like the look of the model and the ease of securing it, much better than the ACCESS. My problem is that at speeds above 65, the canvas not only ripples but "thunks" making a discernible noise. I called Extang to express concern and ask if they had similar feedback. Their rep was very nice but denied having this issue raised. After experiencing much frustration I duct taped one inch blocks of foam insulation to the center of each strut. It has virtually eliminated the noise but puts an ugly arc in the top with the blocks showing through the canvas. I was very surprised that there was so much fabric that I could easily place the one inch blocks on the struts. I have since talked with Extang telling them what I have done and expressed my sense that there is too much fabric in the top causing the problem. They wonder if the aerodynamics of the vehicle cause it. Extang is planning to send me a replacement top and while I appreciate their effort I have little confidence that unless there is a difference in the new top that the result will be the same. Has anyone had similar experiences and do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem? Thanks for reading and responding.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My suggestion would be that when your replacement shows-up, if you continue to have the same issue and they won't refund you, ask for the solid Extang Trifold in exchange and you won't have that problem anymore. I have the solid one with no issues with two different RLs.

J

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Mine stretches very taut when closed. After 3 years mine does not ripple any more than it did on day one, under any weather condition or speed. I hear nothing even with the little rear window open. I've probably taken it off and on close to 100 times.
As suggested, I would probably try the free replacement on the chance the one you have has a defect in the material or latching mechanism. I have found no need for the solid top but suppose it has some advantage maybe for more extreme climates, I don't know.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
..... and use Rollin's experience when telling them that yours in no good! They should be able to get it right for you as well.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
A replacement should do it. I am not aware of similar complaints and several sustaining members still have the same one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts