Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This will be my first truck purchase (my SUV died and I need at least 40 inches of headroom as I am very tall, and I don't want another SUV--I also need room for 5 so the Element is out).

I like the Ridgeline, but I can get a nicely equipped F-150 for less. Can any of you tell me the benefits the Ridgeline would have over the F-150? Cost vs. benefit?

Thank you for your time,

Sean

·
Registered
953 Posts
There are loads of differences.

You need to check the model of F-150 against what any model of Ridgeline has standard - 4WD, AT, Traction Control (VTM), VSA, TPMS, Power Windows, Mirrors and Locks, HD Transmission and Power Steering Cooling (towing ready), Cruise Control, pre-wired for trailer connection, ABS, in bed trunk, dual action tailgate, side curtain airbags, 5 star side impact safety rating (you will need this one to walk away from a t-bone crash like I did with the first one).

·
Registered
49 Posts
The biggest benefit by far, as I see it, is the difference in the ride. I drove an F-150 work truck for the past 3 years, and the ridgeline's ride is far superior. You can probably get a similarly equipped ford for less, but that's because they have to pay you to take them. The value in a few years will be significantly more with the Honda.
I struggled with the price of the Honda as well. I was going to pay for items that weren't important to me (i.e. airbags, 4wd). But in the end, the ride was so much nicer in the Honda than any other truck. That decided it for me. I also use the hell out of the trunk.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The Ford will be a bigger truck. I consider the Ridgeline a Mid-size truck.

Also, if you NEED: Huge towing capacity, 4wd with low gearing, then the Ford is the Truck for you.

Personally, I would never buy any Ford product. One of my friends just bought a F-150 and it makes some weird sounds.....

Ford F-150 - A Farm/Horse truck. Base price starting at $32,020 !

Ridgeline - A car ride with a truck bed! Base price starting at $27,700

For me, it was a no brainner....

TL

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I drove an F150 for 8 1/2 years. The Ridgeline is much more car like in the ride, it has the trunk (which I love for carrying jumper cables, etc. which used to go under the Ford's back seat), automatic 4WD...no buttons to push here, 4 wheel independent suspension (see rides like a car). I didn't really need the size of the F150 and Honda's quality can't be beat, IMO. With quality, you only pay once, as someone's signature reads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is absolutely nothing that the Ford has that the Honda doesn't. Yes the bed is longer, but once you use that trunk in the Honda you'll never know what you did without it. And the interior room is fabulous! My ex has a 150 and her kids get in my truck and talk about how big it is!! Kids don't lie!!!! lol The ride and the gas mileage are unbeatable with the Honda, projected reliability is better, and the 4WD is outta' this world. I can't believe the traction with this vehicle. And if nothing else, you'll get way more attention driving the Honda than that boring Ford.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looking at the pricing on the F-150, if you get as similar to the Honda as you can in features (which there are many features simply not offered on the Ford), the pricing is similar. Of course, there are probably dealer incentives to move these vehicles, which Honda does not have to offer to sell their vehicles.

Regarding differences:

1) The F-150 has a much worse than average reliability rating. The Ridgeline, in the first year of production, was rated the highest reliability of ANY truck.

My neighbor bought a new Navigator but had to take it back because the engine valve seats were not machined properly and the only solution was to replace the motor.

2) The F-150 has no trunk. I put two sets of golf clubs in the trunk and commuting to work carry my computer bag, workout bag, tennis equipment, etc. in the trunk.

3) Resale value on the Ridgeline will be much better.

4) Gas mileage on the Ridgeline will be better.

5) The F-150 suffers from many recalls. Ford has a poor history in this regard. Today, Ford announced a recall regarding gas tanks (again)! On some of their new vehicles, including the Ford 500, they can fall off, land on the suspension and catch fire.

6) The Ridgeline drives like a car and does not bounce around on rough roads. This is due to an independent suspension versus a straight axle, used in trucks for the last 80 years. The Ridgeline tracks down the road straight and true.

7) The Ridgeline four wheel drive system is intelligent, designed to optimize for efficiency. The Ford 4wd system is basic.

8) Per Edmunds - "(The F-150) Feels sluggish even with larger V8, no available side airbags, not much interior storage space." The Ridgeline has an incredible amount of storage space, much more than the Ford.

9) The Ridgeline has a 5-star crash test rating for both driver and passenger (front and side), the Ford does not for side impact.

10) The Ridgeline has stability control, the F-150 does not.

11) The Ridgeline has traction control, the F-150 does not, even in the 4wd model with antilock brakes (strange but true).

12) The Ridgeline has side impact airbags, the F-150 does not.

13) The Ridgeline has a five-speed automatic for smooth shifting and efficiency, the F-150 uses a four speed automatic.

14) The Ford will tow 7,500 pounds vs. 5,000 on the Ridgeline.

15) The Ford has a much larger pickup bed.

Unless you have to tow more than 5,000 pounds or need to haul long pieces of lumber, I'd get the Ridgeline. Especially if you live in an urban area like I do, where this vehicle truly shines.

Hey, most important, the Ridgeline is a HONDA. Enough said.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't think anyone can argue that Honda's reliability, build quality, safety, ergonomics, retained value, cost of ownership and fuel economy, and are way ahead of Ford and the other domestic automakers. The F150 is probably the best vehicle that Ford builds but it does not compare well at all in the above categories. You can buy a bigger truck or a more powerful truck or one that can tow a whole lot more than the Ridgeline, but you will not find one anywhere that is more reliable, is of a higher overall quality, is safer, or is a better value over it's lifetime. Did I mention reliability?
I recently checked out a top of the line King Ranch edition of the F150 King(?) Cab (four door). It looked pretty but aside from being huge, it was difficult to climb into because it sits so high. Once inside, again it looked nice but had a very cheap feel to the materials used, especially considering the price of the vehicle. The other very noticeable thing was that when you close the doors you can actually see the entire side of the cab flex and move. That looked very scary to me. I bet that DoctorJ would say that it would be positively frightening. Sean, in case you are not aware, DoctorJ just walked away after being T boned and totaling his Ridgeline. Thanks in no small part to the safety designed into the Ridgeline that earned it the 5-star safety rating, the highest safety rating of any pickup truck. From the pictures that I saw, I doubt that he would have survived if he had been driving the F150 that I looked at. With the amount of body movement that I saw while simply closing the door, I would be scared to death (pun intended) to drive a F150 drive-through model. Check it for yourself at the Ford dealer. It can't be missed.
After all that, there is also no denying that some Ridgelines have suffered from first year of production problems. The numbers of vehicles affected is very small and, for the most part, involved very early production models. As far as I know, all of those production issues have been resolved long ago. I purchased mine in May and, aside from a temporary loose connection in the passenger’s vanity mirror, it has been flawless. I suggest that the vast majority of Ridgelines purchased since then have been pretty much the same. Not that there aren’t a few exceptions, but overall, especially for a first year of production vehicle, it just doesn't get any better than this. I just had my first oil change at 6000 miles and there was absolutely nothing on the service order to be done beyond the normal scheduled maintenance items. Try that with a Ford. It certainly has not been my experience with the Fords that I have owned in the past. Far from it.
I haven’t even begun to mention the ride comfort, features and versatility of the Ridgeline Vs theF150. I think that the difference in ride comfort and drivability will be so dramatic when you test drive both of them that no further discussion is required. The dual action tailgate and the in-bed trunk are outstanding unique features of the Ridgeline. The rest of the feature comparisons will have to be left up to you to determine which ones are important to you.
I really don’t think that there is any contest in comparing the two trucks – at least for my needs. Yours may be different. I will tell you that after six months of owning the Ridgeline, I could not be happier. It has proven to be more than I expected, and I mean that in a very positive way. As I have stated in other posts, at 54 years old the Ridgeline is the first vehicle that I have been excited about in a looooong time. And it is fun being excited!
Oh, and Ford doesn’t have the ROC! That nails it! End of story. Sheesh! I could have saved myself all that typing!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I traded a 2003 F-150 LARIAT 4-Dr 4 X 4 with all the trimmings for my Ridgeline. The F-150 is a great truck, for what I needed the Honda was better. The sticker price on the F-150 I traded was $37,500 with no S/R. I really like both trucks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
While I will agree with the projected reliability idea because of Honda's record, I don't think anyone can say how reliable the Ridgeline will be. And given the problems people are starting to see, I would tell anyone shopping today that they should understand they are buying a first year model and while long term it will probably do really well, there may be glitches associated with a first year model. If you can't handle that, the Ford F150 is a good truck, and may be a better choice. You will sacrifice features, safety, comfort and overall a great vehicle, but understand what you are getting into. For every person here who has had an issue, there is probably 2 who haven't. I haven't had an issue I would take my vehicle in for. I love my Ridgeline. And if you offered to trade me an F150 today with no payments and take away my Ridgeline payments, I wouldn't do it.

As to what is better for you, what do you want a truck for? I think it would be a mistake for us to convince you to buy what we bought without understanding your needs. The Ridgeline was spot on for my needs. Given that you had an SUV before, unless your actual needs have changed, it is likely the bed in a Ridgeline and the overall Ridgeline features would be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Nice post, Capt. I agree 100% with every point you made.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree! My Ridgeline so far has been nothing less than impressive! What a nice ride.
I've had an issue concerning electrical problems. But my dealer was more than willing to work out those problems. I have nothing but praise for the vehicle Honda built!
It's my first truck and I'm more than happy to say that I wish I had a Honda before.:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got my RTL yesterday after many weeks of test driving just about everything out there. I cant really add much to what everyone else has already said except that I have owned a about a half dozen trucks and this is the best for my needs and wants in a truck bar-none. The biggest thing that sold me was safety The Ridge has more airbags than freakin bubble-wrap, and they come standard in the Ridge. I feel confident when I have my wife & 8 month old son in it that they are as well protected as they can be in a pick-up.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
DatSumbch said:
I feel confident when I have my wife & 8 month old son in it that they are as well protected as they can be in a pick-up.
They're as well protected as they would be in an M1 tank :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
shovelhd said:
They're as well protected as they would be in an M1 tank :D
A 105 mm main gun can be mounted on the roof rack...:eek: And their great for clearing traffic jams too..:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

I want to thank you all for your thoughful replies. I really appreciate the time you took.

I drove the RTL yesterday and could not believe how smooth it rode. I've been in Volvo's that don't ride as nice.

I was also impressed with how solid it felt--nothing tinny or cheap about it.

The dealer offered me $28,200 for an RTL with XM installed...not bad.

I will be making a decision this coming week.

Thank you all again,

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I drove my dad's new F-150 for three months after my del-Sol got ran over and started thinking about owning a truck again. We test drove them all. Actually tested the Ridgeline last. That test drive was all she wrote. You will never look back at a live axle again.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Sean said:
Hi,

I want to thank you all for your thoughful replies. I really appreciate the time you took.

I drove the RTL yesterday and could not believe how smooth it rode. I've been in Volvo's that don't ride as nice.

I was also impressed with how solid it felt--nothing tinny or cheap about it.

The dealer offered me $28,200 for an RTL with XM installed...not bad.

I will be making a decision this coming week.

Thank you all again,

Sean
Let us know what you decide, even if you don't go with the RL. We won't bite, promise. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Sean:

Your price quote is about $3K below what most of us early adopters paid for the same equipment a short 8 months ago! As you can tell, Ridgeline owners are pretty passionate about their vehicles. You'll be safe and comfortable in a new Ridgeline. AND, we promise that you will be noticed. Good luck- let us know what you decide. Be sure to post pictures if you decide on the Ridgeline.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts