Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a slow F150 truck up ahead so I passed him. Got to a light where 2 lanes turn into 1 lane for a good 4 mile stretch. F150 actually tried to get in front of me. I couldn't believe it! I gunned it (Forgive me engine) and left him in the dust. I went the speed limit and he fell far behind. He held up about 5 cars behind him too. What is it with people testing thier trucks out on my Ridge? Happened twice today! I'll leave 5 minutes earlier tomorrow just so I can let my engine chill for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Truck envy :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Big truck, small mind :)

L

·
0 Posts
I too have noticed that folks, mostly men, want to race me. So here's what I do.

If they are coming from behind me, I watch them as they get up along side me. Some will smile, some will shake their head in disbelief and some will ride along side me, check out the ride and then take off. So, remaining the Lady I am, I allow them to get ahead of me. Those who are so inclined to let off the accelerator and even up with me again become the unknowing victims of Lady Ridgena and J.C.!! :D As soon as they are next to me again, I'm off like a shot and leave them in a cloud of Honda Ridgeline dust!! Yeah!! What a rush. :cool:
Just a litle background on me. I drove 1/4 mile many years ago and semi OTR for many years so you would think driving is no big deal to me, right?? WRONG!! This "chick-up" truck is a whole new way of driving. Don't worry, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. ( just had a feeling you might be worried a little )

·
Registered
774 Posts
Remember that we are driving the "new kid on the block", a vehicle that promises to change pick-em-up trucks forever. The traditionalists feel a little threatened by this little 'ol truck with the unconventional appearance.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I agree.

The sound of this motor at full song reminds me of an Indy car. Unconventional and out of place for a truck, but who cares. It sure hooks up off of the line.

JC I wish I had a chance to watch you race. What class?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Be careful when passing those F150s, They can catch fire due to a faulty cruise control switch that can even ignite in someone's garage even when the engine is off. Peoples home have burned down because of this. Millions of Ford cars and trucks beyond their original recall have this same switch. Just a heads up if you have any family or friends with these death traps.

Expanded investigation
The $20.57 switch shuts off the cruise control when the driver firmly steps on the brakes. The switch is located under the hood of the vehicle and is attached to the brake master cylinder on one end and wired to the cruise control on the other.

On most of its models, Ford designed the switch to be powered -- or "hot" -- at all times, even when the vehicle is off and the key is removed from the ignition.

Inside the switch, a thin film barrier separates brake fluid from the switch's electrical components. Investigators say fires can occur when the film cracks and brake fluid from the master cylinder seeps into the electrical side of the switch.

Ford has already recalled more than 1 million vehicles in two separate recalls to replace the switch.

The first recall was in May 1999, affecting 279,000 Crown Victorias, Grand Marquises and Town Cars for model years 1992 and 1993. The second, issued in January 2005, affected 792,000 vehicles, including model year 2001 F-Series SuperCrews and 2000 Expeditions, Navigators and F-150 pickups.

But a Ford document obtained by CNN shows the same or similar switch was installed in a total of 16 million vehicles, far beyond what was recalled. Those vehicles include:

Mark VII/VIII from 1994-1998

Taurus/Sable and Taurus SHO 2.3 L 1993-1995

Econoline 1992-2003

F-Series 1993-2003

Windstar 1994-2003

Explorer without IVD 1995-2003

Explorer Sport/Sport Trac 2002-2003

Expedition 1997-2003

Ranger 1995-2003

In March, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an expanded investigation into more than 3.7 million of the vehicles.

NHTSA says it has received 559 complaints of spontaneous fires, 253 of them in unrecalled models, and its latest investigation includes the 1995 model years of the F-150, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator vehicles.

Ford says it has initiated its own investigation and is cooperating with the NHTSA probe.

"We have identified specific populations of vehicles in which the speed-control deactivation switches have had increasing rates of failures and fires," said Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley in a written response to questions submitted by CNN.

"When we have seen the fire reports increasing, we have recalled those vehicles and replaced those switches. Ford has used the basic switch design in a large number of vehicles and the risk of fire related to the switch is much different in those certain populations that we have recalled."

She added, "It is important to understand that all speed control systems are not identical in Ford vehicles. ... In those populations with an increasing fire report rate, we stopped using the switch through the recall process. ... The switch has performed well in many models for many years."

In another statement to CNN, Kinley said "we have been asked why we have not expanded the recall. The last thing we want to do is make an important safety decision on incorrect or incomplete information."

Kinley also said, "We have not determined at this time that there is a defect with the switch, but for reasons we still do not understand the switch is failing ... and we are trying to understand why."

Ford no longer uses switch
But, in a recall notice to owners of 2000 F-150s, Expeditions, Navigators and 2001 F-150 SuperCrews, the company seemed less equivocal about the switch. The "switch may overheat, smoke or burn which could result in an underhood fire," it said. "This condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is being operated, even if the speed control is not in use."

The company stopped using the switch altogether as of the 2004 year model, and is now using a new design.

Full Article:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/fo...cles/index.html

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
'99 Ranger - with cruise control. Yikes.

L

·
0 Posts
shovelhd said:
I agree.

The sound of this motor at full song reminds me of an Indy car. Unconventional and out of place for a truck, but who cares. It sure hooks up off of the line.

JC I wish I had a chance to watch you race. What class?
1/4 mile straight in either a 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner with a 383 4 speed or a 1970 Chevelle 396 4 speed with cowl induction if my mind serves me correct. Thats was a lifetime ago and I owned so many muscle cars I get them mixed up at this age so forgive me if I misquoted myself!! :D

OTR was a 1976 International cab over w/sleeper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same situation happening with me, but here in Truck Country (Texas), I have grown very weary of this "game". For the most part these (99%) guys don't understand power to weight ratios, torque to horsepower ratios, aerodynamics, well they just ain't right! Let's just go right to the nut cuttin' and say it like it is. A small block V-8 doesn't make one bit of difference, if ya got 5,500+lbs of hardware to move. But hey, I grew up on a farm in west texas where a "conventional" truck was a necessity, so what do I know?
I do know, however, that 99% of the "conventional" trucks on the road here wouldn't stand a chance in hell against my ShrekLine. Nothing to prove, everything to gain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Traded in my 1998 F-150 for mine. The only thing I miss about it was the kick in the ass you get when I floored it to pass. Ridge has a smoother acceleration. As we all know!

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
ladyridge said:
1/4 mile straight in either a 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner with a 383 4 speed or a 1970 Chevelle 396 4 speed with cowl induction if my mind serves me correct.
Sounds like some kind of stock or super stock class, or brackets.

ladyridge said:
OTR was a 1976 International cab over w/sleeper.
Bouncy, huh? Nothing like the ride in the Ridge. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL Henry, love Pic on here with you in your trunk. I absolutely love freaking people out when I'm at the store and open the trunk to put the groceries in it! Got a grocery store story here coming up. LOL

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You want to really embarrass them, blow their doors off in a Civic Hybrid. The Hybrid has a very fast start, it is just between 40 and 60 that it has no pep. I don't know what it is about me that they feel like challenging me at the lights when I am in the Civic but there are very few cars that beat me when I decide to play along. And I hear the Accord Hybrid will even do that 10 times better.

·
Registered
484 Posts
captmiddy said:
You want to really embarrass them, blow their doors off in a Civic Hybrid. The Hybrid has a very fast start, it is just between 40 and 60 that it has no pep. I don't know what it is about me that they feel like challenging me at the lights when I am in the Civic but there are very few cars that beat me when I decide to play along. And I hear the Accord Hybrid will even do that 10 times better.
255 HP! :D My wife is pretty confident that she takes off faster in her Accord Hybrid than she did in the GTP she traded in.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
SSquire said:
255 HP! :D My wife is pretty confident that she takes off faster in her Accord Hybrid than she did in the GTP she traded in.
It goes beyond simple HP, it is the fact that the Electric Motor is at full Torque as soon as it is powered. So you get all the power it has to give as soon as you hit the gas. The Accord Hybrid is the fastest Accord ever made according to Honda. I say this with a tinge of jealousy in my voice, because boy would I love to have one, but I am happy with the Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone wanna race? ;)

[Please, do not take offensively. I mean no harm.]

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
According to the test results I've seen, you'll beat us every time. Quit picking on us lesser brethren. :) :D

1 - 20 of 137 Posts