Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Are you considering an EV in the near(ish) future?

• Rivian R1T

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Ford F150 Lightning

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Tesla Cybertruck

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Hummer EV

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 63 57.8%
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been EXCITEDLY awaiting my chance to own an EV. I love the torque, I love the technology, most of my driving is daily driving so filling up at home and never having to worry about gas stations sounds amazing. I most definitely still want a pickup though (and to flat load plywood). Been watching every release as it happens. I reserved a cybertruck (definitely need to cancel that), I reserved a Rivian R1T (probably need to cancel that), and was considering reserving an F150 Lightning (probably won't...). I'm so excited about all the possibilities here and was counting down the days until I could get one, but something was still holding me back and after putting just a couple of numbers into a spreadsheet I realized what it is.

Why in the hell does a vehicle that no longer needs a massive front mounted engine still increase in size?! I could understand height for the skateboard, but the length vs bed length numbers are killing me. The F150 Lightning is ever so slightly longer than existing crew cab 5.5 bed F150s. Why???!!?? Yeah, the frunk is impressive - but if anything you could have trimmed a couple of inches off and kept the bed the same size. It's almost 2 feet, FEET, longer than the Ridgeline. The R1T is 7 inches longer than the Ridgeline, yet I'd lose almost 10 inches of bed length!!??

Dear Honda, please drop the Ridgeline body onto an EV skateboard so I can be happy.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fogs, stock bed cover, LED back up lights.
156 Posts
The F-150 needs to be massive! Its a requirement for a F-150. People expect it I guess, and want to huge monster truck to drive around. Also, if it got smaller, people would complain!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Those full sizers have real rear passenger room not just best in class (which is inadequate IMO) like the RL. As the EV tech evolves they should be able to do a from the ground up body which will have ultimate packaging for the bed, and rear passengers. That's probably the only way a truck will be able to do it all and not have to be a a monster.

·
Registered
2021 Sport • Radiant Red Metallic II
57 Posts
My F150 King Ranch wouldn't fit in the garage nor most parking spaces. Traded for the '21 Sport and all is well. I've already taken two 400+ mile non-stop trips ... EV won't be on my short list until range is improved AND recharging stations become readily available.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I love the IDEA of an electric vehicle. But the thought of owning a vehicle that I can't take a long trip in sort of bums me out. For example, tomorrow I'm leaving for East Tennessee. I'll load up my motorcycle and head to the mountains. There are no charging stations where I'll be going and no cell phone signal in most areas. So when my battery died...I'd be out of luck. I guess I'd have to buy a big generator that has a 220V outlet on it and a portable charger so I could charge on the side of the road.

I don't think I'll be in the market for an EV until they standardize battery technology and make them swappable in minutes so you can go to a "gas station" and swap out batteries like you do propane tanks for your grill...or they make highways that have an inductive charging system that keeps your battery charged as you drive and bills you for energy consumed.

Now...if I were still commuting to work 23 miles each way....I'd totally own a Chevy Bolt, Tesla, etc....and just plug it in when I got home. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
159 Posts
"...(and to flat load plywood)."

I can't afford to buy plywood, so my RL's plywood functionality is going to waste!

I'm also excited about the impending EV revolution for most vehicles. I will be able to plug in at home for over 95% of my driving needs. The other 5%, though, will require at least 250 miles of range capability at interstate speeds before I completely make the jump (or fast charging capabilities need to increase substantially).

·
Administrator
20,629 Posts
I should own an EV. Virtually all of my driving is a 15-mile commute to work during the week and a run or two "to town" on the weekends. On the very rare occasion I take a road trip, it's usually for work and I'd rather take a company vehicle or rental instead of putting my own vehicle at risk. I could save a 15-minute trip to the gas station once per week and there's a 120-volt outlet near my parking spot at work that I could steal power from during the 9 hours I'm at the office. :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've heard that any heating or cooling use in an EV reduces range, maybe significantly. Could probably find that quantified, but haven't looked.

I'm interested in the advantages of an EV, but "ain't no way" I'll knowingly risk being stranded - especially with my wife, grandkids, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to include cabin size in your table. That may (or may not) explain some of it.
Those full sizers have real rear passenger room not just best in class (which is inadequate IMO) like the RL. As the EV tech evolves they should be able to do a from the ground up body which will have ultimate packaging for the bed, and rear passengers. That's probably the only way a truck will be able to do it all and not have to be a a monster.
Fair, there's a lot more categories I could add to my comparisons, but these were the factors that have dissuaded me at the moment. For now the "best in class" rear passenger room is enough for my needs. And unless the F150 adds about 2 feet (length) of cabin room I'm not impressed. :p

"...(and to flat load plywood)."

I can't afford to buy plywood, so my RL's plywood functionality is going to waste!
Fair, I haven't taken advantage in a while - but hope to again one day when I can afford to. I did fit a full size mattress between the bed walls though last week, close enough?

I've heard that any heating or cooling use in an EV reduces range, maybe significantly. Could probably find that quantified, but haven't looked.

I'm interested in the advantages of an EV, but "ain't no way" I'll knowingly risk being stranded - especially with my wife, grandkids, etc.
There's reduction, I think that depends a lot on the model (if there's a heat pump, etc). The one good thing about most of the EVs so far is they seem to do a decent job of calculating usage - so you know exactly what you're getting as far as range to reduce that anxiety. Software updates also are improving those calculations in most of the newer EVs. A 300 mile range would also work for my usage 99% of the time, even with added heating/cooling needs - just after an overnight charge. Needing to find a charging station would only really matter for those longer road trips which aren't all that frequent.

·
Administrator
20,629 Posts

EV's that use electrical resistance heaters consume a lot of power to heat the cabin which has a significant effect on range. Some EV's such as the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model Y use a heat pump which is much more efficient than electrical resistant heaters and has much less effect on range. When it gets really cold, supplemental electrical resistance heating may still be required (just like auxiliary heat for your home's heat pump). The energy required to heat or cool the cabin using a heat pump is minimal compared to the energy required to accelerate the vehicle and overcome air resistance. :)

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
EV's that use electrical resistance heaters consume a lot of power to heat the cabin which has a significant effect on range. Some EV's such as the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model Y use a heat pump which is much more efficient than electrical resistant heaters and has much less effect on range. When it gets really cold, supplemental electrical resistance heating may still be required (just like auxiliary heat for your home's heat pump). The energy required to heat or cool the cabin using a heat pump is minimal compared to the energy required to accelerate the vehicle and overcome air resistance. :)

What about differences in A/C or cold air, I don't really need a strong heater but it's gets hot as hell here, how does running cold air at full power affect range?

We get enough sun that solar panels on vehicles would be a viable option to increase range here but to my knowledge
no manufacturer has included this feature yet

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
278 Posts
Take it from a LEAF owner (x2), that huge electric brick of a pick-up truck is going to use a lot more power than anyone would want to feed on a road trip. And guess what... at commercial DC Fast Charge stations a hefty premium is often charged to supply electricity at the faster (more powerful) current flow needed to refill that huge-a$$ battery in a reasonable amount of time. So think of this as a local-use vehicle & likely only home-charge because the economics go to hell very quickly. I do find it cool though.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
278 Posts
I should own an EV. Virtually all of my driving is a 15-mile commute to work during the week and a run or two "to town" on the weekends. On the very rare occasion I take a road trip, it's usually for work and I'd rather take a company vehicle or rental instead of putting my own vehicle at risk. I could save a 15-minute trip to the gas station once per week and there's a 120-volt outlet near my parking spot at work that I could steal power from during the 9 hours I'm at the office. :)
If you liked your Mazdas, you would fall in love with the Nissan Leaf.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
NO... not even in the ballpark of enough power delivery to boost range much on a EV. That's why it's not being done.

Even if I can leave my vehicle parked in the sun for 8 hours while I'm at work?

I know operating power of an EV is way more than a solar panel can produce
but it might be enough power to make it back home without plugging it in

I'm mostly talking hypothetical with a large vehicle like a truck that could use a pretty large solar panel if it was able to fold

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E - MSM
78 Posts
I just don't see a BEV as being the answer for years to come. A hybrid or plug in hybrid is a good do it all solution for years to come. By this I mean can all be done with one vehicle for all situations at all times.
Someone on here recently mentioned that they also have a RAV4 Prime and it got me looking into it as I didn't even know Toyota offered it for 2021. Turns out it gets 42 to as much as 46 miles per charge then you are onto gas and you would still get at least 35 miles to the gallon. There are many commutes that are under 40 miles round trip.

I was thinking that my perfect vehicle setup would be the R/L for me and for road trips and then an electric crossover/small SUV for my wife and for around town. If she had a RAV4 Prime she would still be on electric most days and then we would even be able to still do road trips in both vehicles (I don't care what they say, it is going to be tough to take a road trip in an electric vehicle for years). Plus (and I know this would be the case), when she forgets to charge the thing many nights, her vehicle still moves in the morning.

I don't know why it seems like the auto makers jumped right over plug in hybrids and went to full electric when the infrastructure is not there, outside of the home.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts