Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Are you considering an EV in the near(ish) future?

• Rivian R1T

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Ford F150 Lightning

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Tesla Cybertruck

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Hummer EV

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 63 57.8%
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,913 Posts
Battery technology is bounding forward in all the parameters; safety, density, "chargeability", longevity, cost, recyclability, environmental impact etc etc. Its simply makes no sense to apply current costs to something 10-20 years down the pipeline. If you want a new battery pack in your Lightning in 10 years, there's a good chance that it will be reasonably priced and may offer significant advantages over the original batteries. There will also almost certainly be incentive ($) to repurpose / recycle the old EV battery packs.
Replace your engine or transmission in your ICE vehicle and how much does that cost? How much for just the timing belt, valve adjustment, spark plug replacement service every 100k miles? How much for oil, transmission fluid, front transfer and rear differential fluid changes? Brakes will be wearing out much more rapidly on a convential ICE vehicle too. The waste (toxic waste too) from producing, operating, maintaining and disposing of an ICE vehicle is significant (to put it mildly). It sure isn't anywhere close to the neighborhood of "green."
Overall the EV scene is really starting to warm up but there certainly is wisdom in waiting for the technology to mature or bridging the gap with hybrid / plug in hybrid technologies. That said the technology in its current state is compelling for much / most that personal vehicles are used for. Local fleet vehicles and work vehicles are also well suited.
20-30 years for a transition / if it even happens?? Its already happening and I think MUCH more rapidly than that time scale. Batteries are the lynch pins and it does seem to be hard to tell what's a real breakthrough and whats noise but the financial incentives are extremely strong for developing better and better batteries. 10 years will show huge gains / novel approaches.
This isn't just for cars / trucks. Aviation is a huge contributor to greenhouse emissions / pollution and electrification will have a huge impact. Pure EV / hybrid / Hydrogen fuel cell powering electric motors are all being developed.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeah - they'll be incredibly short since charging stations can be nearly anywhere - including your own garage and parking spot at work. :)

I don't understand the mindset that, one morning, we're going to wake up to a world with millions of electric vehicles that were suddenly manufactured and sold overnight, but no new charging stations or infrastructure upgrades.
It's a market - there will definitely be suppliers/competitors busting *ss to be the providers, driven by potential profit.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,142 Posts
It's a market - there will definitely be suppliers/competitors busting *ss to be the providers, driven by potential profit.
Those profits could be enormous when electricity is the only game in town. They won't miss an opportunity to make money.

How much will electricity cost to fuel both our homes and our vehicles?

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
182 Posts
Curious if the best approach would be to buy or lease one of these. Seems like we are on a tipping point of such rapid advancement with the battery technology, charging speeds, range, etc that something like the new Lightning would quickly be eclipsed by other EV trucks, or soon even an updated version of itself. Seems like Teslas hold their value well, but most recent EV's seem to plummet in value pretty quickly, even including Ford's Mach E. I'd be anxious that my desire for electric propulsion would lead to a major increase in cost of ownership from depreciation. Leasing would be an option to lessen the pain and get into the latest and greatest in a few years, but I'll bet the leases are going to be expensive due to the poor residual value. I've got my deposit reservation on a Lightning but I'll probably sit tight for 3 or 4 years more and continue to enjoy my (paid off) RL...

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
Curious if the best approach would be to buy or lease one of these. Seems like we are on a tipping point of such rapid advancement with the battery technology, charging speeds, range, etc that something like the new Lightning would quickly be eclipsed by other EV trucks, or soon even an updated version of itself. Seems like Teslas hold their value well, but most recent EV's seem to plummet in value pretty quickly, even including Ford's Mach E. I'd be anxious that my desire for electric propulsion would lead to a major increase in cost of ownership from depreciation. Leasing would be an option to lessen the pain and get into the latest and greatest in a few years, but I'll bet the leases are going to be expensive due to the poor residual value. I've got my deposit reservation on a Lightning but I'll probably sit tight for 3 or 4 years more and continue to enjoy my (paid off) RL...
We just bought my wife a 2016 Hyundai elantra recently and it's a great car, when we have to replace it we wil probably go with a full electric Hyundai or Chevy, the Hyundais seem to get good reviews and Chevy has more experience doing EHVs than any other American company that isn't Tesla and I think they are close to releasing a whole fleet of electric vehicles that will make the lightning look silly, but I admit that might be hopeful dreaming

·
Administrator
20,657 Posts
Last week, Lordstown Motors warned investors that it would run out of cash in six months. Two days ago, the CEO and CFO resigned.

On a "Lightning" tangent, I learned that my boss owns a 2003 F-150 Lightning garage queen with 14,000 miles. That surprised me since he doesn't seem like the type who would own a garage queen or that type of vehicle.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Last week, Lordstown Motors warned investors that it would run out of cash in six months. Two days ago, the CEO and CFO resigned.
And then this 'minor clarification' ( o_O ) today re: company president's previous statements regarding "binding orders":

Lordstown Motors backtracks, says it has no binding orders for electric truck - CNN

I suppose there's good in the fact that at least they didn't play fast-and-loose in the formal SEC filing.

Sorry, for the 3.4% (as of this moment) folks, but the Lordstown Endurance is sounding more and more like vaporware with very little hope of becoming more.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The 'good news' :rolleyes: (NOT) just keeps on coming Re: Lordstown Motors ...

Lordstown executives sold millions of dollars in stock before problems became public - CNN

At this point it's like watching an accelerating train wreck (and the carpetbaggers got off at the last depot)

o_O :censored:

It's one thing to boldly venture where other have not, that's always a risky undertaking; it's quite another for the leaders of that risk-taking to rake-off a personal gain when it becomes evident that the venture will likely fail (IMO)

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts

Dodge seems to be jumping on the bandwagon

Does anyone else feel like Ford missed out on a chance to make the Maverick all electric as an option, I get that electric cars are made vastly differently but the maverick seems like a better platform for that option

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
Ford hasn't ruled out a battery-powered Maverick in the future. If that's what the market wants, they'll build it.

I stand corrected 😂

As much as I want to dislike Ford I feel they are doing better than GM and Dodge at keeping up with what the market wants and getting products to consumers

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,142 Posts
This is the only thing that bothers me about getting a Ford. My neighbor.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,142 Posts
Ford hasn't ruled out a battery-powered Maverick in the future. If that's what the market wants, they'll build it.

Same with the Santa Cruz in a year or two, but Hyundai years are like dog years.

• Haha

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,142 Posts
Nice video introduction of the Ford Lightning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our daughter has had a deposit on the Rivian for quite awhile. Every time she sees one of the fun ad-ons, she adds it to her truck (the kitchen, the tent, etc). I think the long wait is a ploy to lure buyers into spending even more on the already spendy vehicle. And it's got me looking for similar gadgets to add to our 2017 Ridgeline. (We've already gone electric with our Audi e-Tron (which I love).

101 - 120 of 151 Posts