Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Are you considering an EV in the near(ish) future?

• Rivian R1T

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Ford F150 Lightning

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Tesla Cybertruck

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Hummer EV

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 63 57.8%
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I forgot about the Steiner! The Husqvarna R322T is like a light-duty poor man's version of the Steiner.

The cheapest slope mower you're going to find will be an old walk-behind push mower, if you have the time and energy. The ones with high wheels in the back are the most maneuverable, but I don't think they make those anymore, and definitely not self-propelled on the rear wheels (the front wheels won't have enough weight on the slopes). Heck, my Honda pusher spins the wheels going up any decent slope.... still have to push it, just not as hard!

Growing up on the farm, we baled hay on slopes approaching 30°. We set the wheels as far out on the axle as we could, and had them filled with fluid. Ag bar tires are also key here. One of my jobs was to walk behind the small round baler while Dad baled the hay.... I had to catch the bale when it popped out of the baler, then turn it perpendicular to the slope so that it wouldn't roll down the hill. Ah, the smell of fresh-cut alfalfa!
Thats how I grew up too. 1950's Case equipment. I can't walk well anymore but I can lean...but not well either.

·
Registered
227 Posts
T

That's a tough one. Best long-term solution may be landscaping / xeriscaping, and maybe put down some artificial grass where you want.

The newer cordless weedwhackers are starting to get decent. My old Echo won't give up the ghost, though.

Altoz makes a tracked ZTR, but then you're talking $13k.

Subcompact tractor is probably best overall answer, one that you can move the wheels out on the axle and fill tires with fluid. You just need enough other stuff to do with it to justify it - resale should be decent, too.
At least the 322T is affordable with some flexibility to be used here year round! THX!!!

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,574 Posts
Thats how I grew up too. 1950's Case equipment. I can't walk well anymore but I can lean...but not well either.
Our combines were pull-behind Case (with a Wisconsin motor that took forever to start and keep running), balers were Allis Chalmers, all were pulled behind AC WD45 tractors. One of the reasons Dad like the WD45 tractors was because they had a hand clutch, so he could start us kids out driving when we were still too little to push the foot clutch. I started driving tractor at age 6.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I’ve looked at Steiner but it’s too rich for me. To mow 2.6 acres twice a YEAR for a Cadillac of mowers would be a waste. Even if I could afford it!!
Same here - hard to justify (let alone pay for, lol) a dedicated slope mower like that, awesome as they are, unless it's used frequently. Or if the government were buying it, they'd get two!

Mowing vertically my BX1880 will cut a steeper hill than I would be comfortable driving up....I'd chicken out before it reached its limit. It's a virtual billy goat up-and-down in 4wd low gear, which is the mode I'm almost always in. They're not cheap either though, especially now. In 2018 mine was about 12k, including the mower deck and front end loader (FEL adds a couple thousand, but so very useful), but it's a diesel and these tractors tend to last a long time.

Mowing laterally it's fairly tippy, though my rear tires are "filled". I have wheel spacers that I haven't added yet, and those should help. There's a debate on the lateral limit in my Kubota BX group - some guys saying they've done 30 degrees, which is nuts IMO.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
At least the 322T is affordable with some flexibility to be used here year round! THX!!!
As noted, I have a 322T too. It is super nimble, and with the deck out front you can really see what you're cutting. You can get a snow blade for them, if that helps you at home (I don't have one). Also it's about 1000# lighter than the little Kubota tractor - much easier to trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why in the hell does a vehicle that no longer needs a massive front mounted engine still increase in size?! I could understand height for the skateboard, but the length vs bed length numbers are killing me. The F150 Lightning is ever so slightly longer than existing crew cab 5.5 bed F150s. Why???!!?? Yeah, the frunk is impressive - but if anything you could have trimmed a couple of inches off and kept the bed the same size. It's almost 2 feet, FEET, longer than the Ridgeline. The R1T is 7 inches longer than the Ridgeline, yet I'd lose almost 10 inches of bed length!!??

Dear Honda, please drop the Ridgeline body onto an EV skateboard so I can be happy.
If you think that is ridiculous, check out the Canoo EV truck. It is only 184" long, as it did cut off un-needed front end. Half of its length is cab, making you think it will have amazing interior space, but it is a 2 seater with small storage area behind the seats. IT HAS A CAB 7 FEET LONG AND IS 2 SEATS! It is a shame because of all of the EV trucks, the Canoo and Rivian are my favorites in terms of innovative features (granted I would prefer they be hybrid than EV, but that is another issue entirely), but they both completely fail in different ways. The Canoo wastes the opportunity to be a crew cab, and the Rivian could easily shrink the Frunk/Hood or the pass-through storage and be a full foot shorter in length while being enormously practical.

I personally think an EV truck layout similar to a "Cab Over" design would be the ideal to get max cab and bed in the shortest length. Think an electric Dodge A100 Pickup in crew cab or the Jeep Forward Control FC150, only make it look nice.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
If you think that is ridiculous, check out the Canoo EV truck. It is only 184" long, as it did cut off un-needed front end. Half of its length is cab, making you think it will have amazing interior space, but it is a 2 seater with small storage area behind the seats. IT HAS A CAB 7 FEET LONG AND IS 2 SEATS! It is a shame because of all of the EV trucks, the Canoo and Rivian are my favorites in terms of innovative features (granted I would prefer they be hybrid than EV, but that is another issue entirely), but they both completely fail in different ways. The Canoo wastes the opportunity to be a crew cab, and the Rivian could easily shrink the Frunk/Hood or the pass-through storage and be a full foot shorter in length while being enormously practical.

I personally think an EV truck layout similar to a "Cab Over" design would be the ideal to get max cab and bed in the shortest length. Think an electric Dodge A100 Pickup in crew cab or the Jeep Forward Control FC150, only make it look nice.
im in full agreement on the cabover EV truck, i would love that and buy one tomorrow

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hey, look at the NART guy doing RT things :).

Thanks for sharing - both trucks look good. Agree - I'd like a hybrid option to get the electric power while keeping good range.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts