Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Are you considering an EV in the near(ish) future?

• Rivian R1T

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Ford F150 Lightning

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Tesla Cybertruck

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Hummer EV

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 70 56.5%
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,230 Posts
Might be one of those features that sounds innovative but not used much...but gets the attention of buyers.

I have an old friend who has a band, and he hangs onto his Avalanche in part because he can cram so much band gear in there under his tonneau cover/into the cab.
Or it might be like the Ridgeline's trunk. For those of us who use the trunk often, we can't imagine living without it. For Brand X truck owners, the Ridgeline's trunk likely seems like a useless curiosity.

Same could be said for the Ridgeline's side-opening tailgate. I imagine most non-owners don't realize how much easier it is to load and unload cargo when the tailgate isn't in the way.

It will ultimately depend on the user's habits.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Or it might be like the Ridgeline's trunk. For those of us who use the trunk often, we can't imagine living without it. For Brand X truck owners, the Ridgeline's trunk likely seems like a useless curiosity.

Same could be said for the Ridgeline's side-opening tailgate. I imagine most non-owners don't realize how much easier it is to load and unload cargo when the tailgate isn't in the way.

It will ultimately depend on the user's habits.
Good point - I'm completely addicted to the two-way tailgate & trunk!

·
Registered
329 Posts
On another forum, someone mentioned that they always need to haul either kids or long stuff, but rarely at the same time. Many others agreed that they were in the same situation, and that the midgate would be a significant plus factor in their decision to buy.

The negatives I see are limited usefulness, as you alluded to, when it's freezing out or above 90°F*, or dusty conditions. I've heard of some folks getting dust through the midgate when driving on dirt roads.

I suspect Honda never entertained a midgate for the Ridgeline because they valued a strong barrier between the cargo compartment and the people compartment, as well as possibly wanting extra bracing for a strong unibody structure and maybe weight savings.

Overall, I think the benefits of a midgate outweigh the cons for a lifestyle truck.

I am mostly curious if we will see a version of this truck rebadged as a Honda. Or perhaps a significantly different variation? I'd hate to see the Ridgeline disappear altogether, though. If that happens, hopefully Toyota will have a unibody truck on the market by then.

* GM has generally been pretty good at providing robust HVAC systems, relative to Honda's offerings.
Yes, I’m sure Honda didn’t entertain a midgate because they wanted a stronger barrier. And yes I’m sure dust is a problem too. I suppose Honda prioritized a more “porous” approach 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
Subaru says it won't build another gas-fed WRX STI and is exploring an electrified version instead, and it won't be on the present WRX platform.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
The fallacy of EV's...

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine posted this on his Instagram:

View attachment 424130
So now I am confused. I put this little post over on the ToyotaNation forum and here was the reply.

"Also, something doesn't add up. The Mach E is listed as having a 68kWh (standard) or 88kWh (extended range) battery - 80% charge on that would be 54-70kWh, not 28, which drops the cost per kWh to 17-22c/kWh. Doing a bit of digging, the ~37 minute charge time seems to be from 10% to 80% on the standard battery, which would still mean a 70% net charge and thus 48kWh, still much more than the 28kWh in that post."

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
He didn't say what the charge level was before he started charging, but if he added 28 kWh to get to 80% and he has the standard battery, then he must have started with around a 38% charge.

If he added 28 kWh in 37 minutes, then that's a 45 kWh charging rate which is inline with the rate of DC fast chargers.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
49 Posts
It's not a fallacy when you are growing your own electrons. With 20 panels on the garage roof feeding the grid and a Tesla Powerwall for backup inside, I am looking forward to our next vehicle purchase being electric and eliminating about 90% of our monthly gasoline bill. That's $250/month for us, (and $165/month for the electric bill) in savings.

I'm pretty sure there are still federal (and some state) tax CREDITS in the 20-30% range available on solar system installations.

Our system was $41k, we got $12k back in taxes the following year, making our cost $29k. We've already saved $5k on electric bills in the two years since the installation, so $24k left. If I add in another $250/month in gas savings, then the system will finish paying for itself in another 58 months or 5 years, for a total of 7 years ROI. Then it's all gravy, and adds considerable future value to our home. Also makes any EV totally green.

Now, if I could just kick the propane heating habit... maybe geothermal? I do live in a very volcanic state...

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
It's not a fallacy when you are growing your own electrons. With 20 panels on the garage roof feeding the grid and a Tesla Powerwall for backup inside, I am looking forward to our next vehicle purchase being electric and eliminating about 90% of our monthly gasoline bill. That's $250/month for us, (and $165/month for the electric bill) in savings.

I'm pretty sure there are still federal (and some state) tax CREDITS in the 20-30% range available on solar system installations.

Our system was $41k, we got $12k back in taxes the following year, making our cost $29k. We've already saved $5k on electric bills in the two years since the installation, so $24k left. If I add in another $250/month in gas savings, then the system will finish paying for itself in another 58 months or 5 years, for a total of 7 years ROI. Then it's all gravy, and adds considerable future value to our home. Also makes any EV totally green.

Now, if I could just kick the propane heating habit... maybe geothermal? I do live in a very volcanic state...

But how much more did the EV cost than the original vehicle you owned? You have to factor that in also. There is little added value to your home because of solar panels, unless you own them. Most people do not want to deal with a home having leased panels.

You will definitely save on home electrical expenses. Did you go through Tesla directly? My son is looking at Tesla because they seem to be the most cost effective and you own the panels after 10 years or whenever the solar array is paid off. Are you getting a fast charger for your home, that would be a nice benefit.:)

My solar panels cost $41K, but we only had to pay $14K because of the great incentives our public utility company had a the time (10 years ago). It still took 10 years to break even (7.5 KW system), but I did not have an EV. Sounds like you have a good game plan.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Interesting - thanks for sharing.

"Growing your own electrons" makes a lot more sense to me, environmentally speaking, than charging an EV from an outlet with electric that someone burned coal (etc.) to make.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
49 Posts
But how much more did the EV cost than the original vehicle you owned? You have to factor that in also. There is little added value to your home because of solar panels, unless you own them. Most people do not want to deal with a home having leased panels.

You will definitely save on home electrical expenses. Did you go through Tesla directly? My son is looking at Tesla because they seem to be the most cost effective and you own the panels after 10 years or whenever the solar array is paid off. Are you getting a fast charger for your home, that would be a nice benefit.:)

My solar panels cost $41K, but we only had to pay $14K because of the great incentives our public utility company had a the time (10 years ago). It still took 10 years to break even (7.5 KW system), but I did not have an EV. Sounds like you have a good game plan.
So, I do own my entire system outright, so it will increase the value of my home. If you were house-shopping and one of your possible options included no electric bill and free EV charging, would that not also be a pretty attractive plus?

I have not purchased an EV yet, but we are starting to shop them as we have a 12 year old TSX that we will be replacing with one in the next couple years. There are more and more reasonably priced choices with each passing year; the Teslas we are looking at start in the low $40's, hardly more than my RTL-E cost me in 2019. Not to mention Priuses or Leafs, which are far less. As it will be a comparably priced replacement for an existing older vehicle, there's no real 'premium' cost to account for in the overall savings!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been EXCITEDLY awaiting my chance to own an EV. I love the torque, I love the technology, most of my driving is daily driving so filling up at home and never having to worry about gas stations sounds amazing. I most definitely still want a pickup though (and to flat load plywood). Been watching every release as it happens. I reserved a cybertruck (definitely need to cancel that), I reserved a Rivian R1T (probably need to cancel that), and was considering reserving an F150 Lightning (probably won't...). I'm so excited about all the possibilities here and was counting down the days until I could get one, but something was still holding me back and after putting just a couple of numbers into a spreadsheet I realized what it is.
View attachment 413504
Why in the hell does a vehicle that no longer needs a massive front mounted engine still increase in size?! I could understand height for the skateboard, but the length vs bed length numbers are killing me. The F150 Lightning is ever so slightly longer than existing crew cab 5.5 bed F150s. Why???!!?? Yeah, the frunk is impressive - but if anything you could have trimmed a couple of inches off and kept the bed the same size. It's almost 2 feet, FEET, longer than the Ridgeline. The R1T is 7 inches longer than the Ridgeline, yet I'd lose almost 10 inches of bed length!!??

Dear Honda, please drop the Ridgeline body onto an EV skateboard so I can be happy.
Ev vehicles what makes the electricity???

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,115 Posts
Water levels at Lake Mead dangerously close to hitting 'dead pool' status
Lake Mead will decline to below 1,050 feet this week, but it will not affect our ability to produce hydropower. … Hoover (Dam) would no longer be able to produce power at 950 feet of elevation,” she said. “We do not anticipate that happening.”

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Last night, I'm driving back from the airport and I hear a strange noise at the red light next to me. It was a white Mach E. We were in a double left only lane and the light turns green and the E was gone. Never seen anything like it on the street, you're talking race car fast and no engine or tire noise and that was on a turn. At the next light same thing and the E gets on the entrance ramp to the highway. It was akin to a UFO pulling up next to a commercial jet and disappearing.

No wonder why the Hellcats are being discontinued and my generation will be one of the last to know what a muscle car was. I don't think we'll need sports cars anymore because they will be too slow. I fear an increase in deadly accidents because these EV's can do things that have never been done before and folks will stick them into openings that previously weren't possible. As the change over from ICE occurs over the next few decades I can see folks starting with an EV for primary use and a secondary ICE car will be for longer trips and winter. When the tech improves to 500 mile range that could be the real tipping point and just charge once per week.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
The instant torque of an EV along with the quietness and smoothness are intoxicating and it's so convenient to have a "gas pump" at home. Every time I get out of an EV and back into a gasoline-powered vehicle, I feel like I've traveled back into the Stone Age.

I'll still enjoy driving around in a gasoline-powered convertible with a manual transmission, but in the same way that some people enjoy occasionally sleeping in a tent in the middle of the woods instead of on a bed in a climate-controlled building.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts