Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I recently acquired a 2010 Honda Ridgeline with the factory Nav Unit and backup camera. I am looking to upgrade my entire system but I would like to keep the backup camera because it's sleek and hidden. I have not yet pulled the Nav Unit out to see what the wiring situation looks like.

Is it possible to use the factory backup camera with an aftermarket radio?

Is there a harness I need to buy?

On my Honda Pilot, I installed an aftermarket backup cam and I only needed to attach an RCA cable to the back of the head unit for video and I spliced the other wires with the reverse light.

Has anyone had experience with retaining the OEM backup cam with a new head unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you ever come up with any info about this? I'm in the same dilemma.

·
Registered
114 Posts
fliostyle…..found some info on this on a Mazda owners site. Some owners there just spliced into the factory camera wire with a RCA connector cable and were good to go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just asking a friend the same question last night. I want to install a Pioneer with Bluetooth and back up camera and currently my camera is in the rear view mirror. I would rather have it in the head unit and have it take up less room in my rear view mirror, plus I plan on putting a replacement mirror in that has the outside temp in it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was just asking a friend the same question last night. I want to install a Pioneer with Bluetooth and back up camera and currently my camera is in the rear view mirror. I would rather have it in the head unit and have it take up less room in my rear view mirror, plus I plan on putting a replacement mirror in that has the outside temp in it.
You and I are after the same thing…….please post up when you complete your installs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, new 2010 ridgeline RTL owner and looking to do the same exact thing (keeping the factory backup camera with my new AVIC-W8400NEX head unit) Did either of you ever have any luck with doing this? if so any help in how you did it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
It took some internet scouring to find a connector diagram, but I located the proper connector and successfully patched in the OEM backup camera to my Kenwood DNX-6904S
I replaced the factory Nav unit and used an iData Maestro Rr to enable all the functions, including the reverse signal to switch the camera when shifted into reverse.
The tap in location is NOT the Nav unit, the connector is located on the DVD drive under the seat. It is the single row, 7pin connector. I used a video patch cable, cut off one end and stripped the wire. Tapping into the white and black wire gives you your signal to the head unit (by plugging the RCA end into the backup camera pigtail on the back of your deck)
The camera is not self powered, so after you successfully tap into the appropriate wires you MUST plug the connector back into the back of the DVD unit. If you’ve wired it all correctly, you should have an image on your head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
AWESOME! This is EXACTLY what i've been trying to find. Thanks for the pics. Once i get a chance i'll have to pull my radio back out to finish up with this. Did you have any issue getting the dash trim back on once the new radio was in? Mine will not snap back into place all the way on the top right corner (sitting in the drivers seat looking at the radio) It feels like something is holding it up but for the life of me i can't see anything. When i pull the radio back out to hook up the camera i'll double check everything but it was pretty basic setup as the radio / pocket assembly below can only fit in one way. It's like the trim around the new radio (Metra 95-7870 Dash Kit) sticks out too far or something and won't allow me to push the top right corner of the dash in far enough for the plastic clips to grab. just wondering if this is something only i'm seeing at which point there's clearly something i'm doing wrong and will troubleshoot when i have it apart again.

Thanks again for the pics. Huge help.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,169 Posts
@geeeerad none of these kits are "perfect" they require some "fine tuning" by you the owner. Many of the threads of Aftermarket HU's installs, have these issues discussed, I think the rare one is it goes in "PERFECT" on the first attempt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used a Scosche kit to mount the head unit, very little hassle, just making it sure it was square in the opening. HA1579B from Scosche.

·
Registered
‘09 RTL Bali Blue 147k and climbing
8 Posts
It took some internet scouring to find a connector diagram, but I located the proper connector and successfully patched in the OEM backup camera to my Kenwood DNX-6904S
I replaced the factory Nav unit and used an iData Maestro Rr to enable all the functions, including the reverse signal to switch the camera when shifted into reverse.
The tap in location is NOT the Nav unit, the connector is located on the DVD drive under the seat. It is the single row, 7pin connector. I used a video patch cable, cut off one end and stripped the wire. Tapping into the white and black wire gives you your signal to the head unit (by plugging the RCA end into the backup camera pigtail on the back of your deck)
The camera is not self powered, so after you successfully tap into the appropriate wires you MUST plug the connector back into the back of the DVD unit. If you’ve wired it all correctly, you should have an image on your head unit.
What connector did you use to tap into the wires under the seat on the dvd harness? I’m in the process of trying this and have no clue what connector I need to tie in from the head unit to the wiring that you posted photos of... any help is much appreciated!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts