Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, after writing all this, I realize this is more commentary than a question. Sorry about that. But I'd like to hear your thoughts anyway.

The number one reason I like the Ridgeline is because of the factory navigation. I was so disapointed to see navi was not offered on the '05 Tacoma, among other luxury features.

I know the RL has the best navi.....because it's a Honda navi. It could only be better by having Bluetooth. But I'd like to ask anyways:

Does anyone know of another pickup truck with VOICE ACTIVATED navigation from the FACTORY?

Her's another:

For a pick up truck, with voice activated navigation, Leather heated seats, dual zone auto climate control, power sunroof, power rear window, auto heated wiper zone, heated-power-BODY COLORED mirrors, traction control, 4wd, 8 air bags, 4 wheel abs w/ebd, 6 disc changer with subwoofer, XM radio, audio/cruise/navi buttons on the steering wheel, PW, PDL, cruise, AC, in-bed-trunk, dual action tailgate (and the list goes on and on), how much money would one have to spend, and what trucks offer all this?

I think I know the answers...........just humor me!:)

The reason I ask these questions? Beacuse so many critics (bubba truck owners) bash the RL for being pricey. Yet they ignore the fact that these features normally come in a $35,000 or higher car........that DOSEN'T have the carrying / towing capacity & utility of the RL! We are getting TWO vehicles for the price one ONE!

Gawd, how could the Ridgeline fail? No way in hell. Not in this country of 'living beyond our means', 'gotta have it', 'beat the Jone's' lifestyles. People all over this country are buying luxury cars left and right. And people are buying SUV's and Trucks left and right. There is only ONE vehicle made that has it all. Just think of all those who have a utilitarian truck AND a luxury car in thier driveway. Fools.

Thanks for replying to my zany post. I am only 6 days away from getting my Ridge!:D My dealer located me an Amazon Green RTL w/Navi with a build date of late September! I pick it up Monday!!!! I can't wait!

I love this forum, and all those on it!:)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
fins2theright said:
Does anyone know of another pickup truck with VOICE ACTIVATED navigation from the FACTORY?
As much as I love my truck, don't use the voice activation as a reason to buy the Ridgeline. Frankly, it's awful. :( I think you'll be disappointed by it's functionality and inability to understand what you're saying. I didn't know about the feature when I bought mine so couldn't care less that it doesn't work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. :) I am not using the navi as the only reason to buy it. There are a thousand other reasons for buying this truck. But I am curious....how many other voice activated navi's in trucks have you tried? I'd really like to know if anyone offers one?

I want a luxury car with all the bells and whistles, and I want a truck in case I need it from time to time. That alone narrowed the field dramaticly. But add to that the fact that for years I have had those annoying aftermarket Navi & XM radio systems, attatched all over the interior, dangling cables, the cluttered look, and the high price I paid at the time, this is a much better alternative....for me. The voice activation is only 1 of 3 ways to use the system. But it's an feature that is hard to find elsewhere.

I realize it may not be perfect, but it is a technology I want, I can afford, and more interestingly, is extremely rare in a truck (if notexclusive the the RL).

fins

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can say that the voice activation is not in anyway disappointing, i use all the time to change xm stations ask for the time etc, i thing the only way it could be better is if the microphone was a little further away from the dash as the mic often picks up the noise from the ac vents but other than that i think if you give yourself sometime to adjust to the voice activation by that i mean become accustomed to speaking to it in a set way everytime i dont think you will be disappointed...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
fins2theright

I did this exact thing when I was shopping. First we compared off the first model that we would be 'satisfied' with which was the RTL because we wanted heated seats, the moonroof wasn't important. Based on our comparison of vehicles and features, especially safety features, we couldn't find much of a difference between the price of the Ridgeline and the closest competition to the Ridgeline. It is just that the other vehicles have a base model which is so much more stripped than the Ridgeline is that they seem cheaper at first glance.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
You already know the Honda navigation system is the best on the market. I believe GM is offering a rudementary navigation system in their trucks, but if you like the Honda system the GM would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I've had several vehicles with nav systems and don't intend to buy another new vehicle without one. Hopefully the competition will get better and I will have more choices.

If you can tolerate an aftermarket system there are some very good units on the market.

It's my understanding that the 2007 Ridgeline will get Bluetooth. Is it worth wating for? Not for me, but some are hooked on it.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Congratulations Fins2theright! I remember the countdown all too well. I had to wait six weeks for mine to come in. Good things come to thee who wait! I like my Navigation system and don't have a real problem with the voice commands. The key there is to make sure that the noise level is very low and to know and understand the command structure, vocabulary, and the limitations, all of which I am still learning. I don't use the voice commands enough to consider myself to be good at it yet. There have been several situations where the Navi system has worked very well and I know that I would have been frustrated getting to my destination without it. Overall, I agree with your comments about the Ridgelne. I could not be happier with mine, although there are a few things that could be tweaked. The XM radio is great but the user interface in the Ridgeline is lacking, poor at best. Navigating through channels that are not in your pre-sets is a pain. That is where the voice commands comes in handy though. Being able to say "XM channel One Hundred Ninety Seven" sure helps when there is no other direct way to get there.
Since you will have your Ridgeline soon, you are coming to the ROC @ the ROC in Cleveland on November 5th - right? It would be a quick trip from Pittsburgh, perfect for testing the Navi system. It will take you right to the door! Besides, I want to see your truck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
csimo said:
It's my understanding that the 2007 Ridgeline will get Bluetooth. Is it worth wating for? Not for me, but some are hooked on it.

-Joe
NOOOO!!!!! you had to ruin my day. The sales dweeb that sold me on the Ridgeline thought that the Ridgeline had Bluetooth. After that I was sold, I couldn't find any other truck that would work and after finding out it did't have Bluetooth I didn't care anymore I wanted the truck. Now they are going to put it in next year's model? Oh my I am so disappointed. Well at least that means when the 2009 model has Hybrid and everything it will be one more reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultra-HOG said:
Congratulations Fins2theright! I remember the countdown all too well. I had to wait six weeks for mine to come in. Good things come to thee who wait! Since you will have your Ridgeline soon, you are coming to the ROC @ the ROC in Cleveland on November 5th - right? It would be a quick trip from Pittsburgh, perfect for testing the Navi system. It will take you right to the door! Besides, I want to see your truck.
OOUUUCCCH! Just kidding, no arm twisting needed. Thank you for inviting me....I'd love to join you guys! I have been thinking of this, even mentioned it to my sales person. He was very aware of the ROC! It's like I instantly became a 'preferred customer' as soon as I told him I belonged to the ROC. In fact that's when they agreed to locating a RTL W/Navi that was a September build. Before that, the dealer couldn't understand why it mattered when it was built.

THANKS ROC!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the form!

Nice User group name, I am a fellow parrothead as well.

I totally agree with you about the Luxury aspect of the ridgeline. I personally passed up the Ford Explorer Sportrac because I thought the interior looked cheap and the build quality was poor.

My wife has an Acura TL w/Navi and after riding in it for several months I really wanted a vehicle that had the options the TL offered. I suppose if the Honda Ridgeline didn't exist I would have picked a high end package for the Acura MDX, Chevy Tahoe, or the GMC Envoy. Although, I would have been disappointed because none of these vehicles offer the pick up bed. I hate having to mess up the interior of my vehicles the three or four times a year when I need to haul stuff for yard work or when I buy a christmas tree. The Navi wasn't a requirement for me but it sure sold the ridgeline to me when I was shopping. Friends in my neighborhood have new durangos and grand cherokees and they have really commented how they wish they would have looked at the ridgeline before they bought.

Good topic!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts