Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 60k miles my 2017 ridgeline’s receiver tube hitch seems shot. When I tow my boat over a speed bump it rocks up and down and pulls on the pickup. Same ball in a smaller suv with an after market hitch has no problem. There’s 1/8 to 1/4 inch play with the ball mount in the receiver tube. ( I can push/pull the ball up and down by that much). Root cause may be The Honda receiver tube is shorter than others. Has anyone made repairs to the receiver tube with this type of problem? It’s welded to the frame so replacing it will be $$$$

·
Registered
531 Posts
Good question. I have a new 2019 and noticed the same thing. I figured it was just normal.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Has your boat been moved farther back on the trailer?.....or extra weight added in the back of the boat......causing the trailer tongue weight to be very light?

Every receiver type hitch I’ve had, the ball mount fits loose inside of it. If it was not loose, it would be difficult to slide in/out. There are dozens of “anti-rattle” devices available. Go to etrailer.com and search “anti-rattle”.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I use duct tape wrapped around the receiver hitch portion to eliminate the rattle. It works and is cheap and easy to replace when it wears out and starts to rattle again.

Steve

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use a combo anti-rattle/locking unit similar to this. It, and the bolt wrench, store in the center of the spare nicely.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
263 Posts
That one looks nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts