Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, great forum and this is my first post. Has anyone gotten the factory 1st Gen steering wheel controls to invoke Siri whether it be with the factory 6 disc changer with bluetooth adapter or an aftermarket CarPlay Receiver? I'm really into the factory steering wheel controls and I also keep my iPhone in low power mode a lot so saying "hey siri" doesn't work more often than not. I am currently using a USA-Spec BT35-HON2 bluetooth that has become intermittent and outdated so I'm shopping around for the best options 2018 has to offer. Thank all you members for your posts they have helped me so much in the past!!!

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
+1 would love to know if you or anyone else has solved this one

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as steering wheel controls, it's possible to use the mode button to do a function like that.

What I would suggest is having a Maestro iDatalink and aftermarket Apple CarPlay capable stereo installed. The Maestro allows you to setup the buttons for different functions.

In my case, I have a Pioneer AVH-DA120 with a Maestro for integration to the steering wheel controls. This is an older Pioneer box so while it does have Bluetooth and CarPlay, the CarPlay requires a USB connection to the phone. Newer mid and high end Pioneer 'NEX' line units allow wireless CarPlay.

This is the 3rd time I've installed a Pioneer CarPlay head unit in one of my vehicles. They are better than most of the newest whiz-bang factory systems, and I've seen plenty of those thanks to renting cars for work while traveling.

This is a link to the Maestro site for steering wheel controls, which stereos they current support and so on.

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the suggestions. I went with a Sony XAV-AX8000 head unit and the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter. It works well and I was able to program the steering wheel controls to invoke Siri with a long press of the mode button. The only thing that I am not able to do that I would like is to answer and end calls with a long press of the channel up and down buttons on the steering wheel. I have tried programming the ASWC-1 (on firmware version 4.18) manually and with their PC software to no avail. I am wondering if it's a bug with my Sony new head unit on firmware version 1.0.

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update of my progress. The ASWC-1 was working just fine for me until I got SW button fever and added the HandsFreeLink and navigation back buttons from a 1G RTL. For the life of me I was not able to get the ASWC-1 to recognize these new buttons. But on the bright side, it looks like my Sony HU recognizes them just fine without the ASWC-1. The only thing I am unable to do at this point is assign long presses to the SW buttons. I guess this may be possible by using a PAC or iDatalink SW button interface instead. In which case I will be looking into getting one of those two soon. I don't have a windows computer so it would be nice if the programming was Mac friendly.

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I was able to manually program the HandsFreeLink and the back button using the ASWC-1. However, the answer and end call functions will not work with my HU unless I remove the ASWC-1 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL/Sun/Navi - BLACK - Aftermarket HU/Cam
8 Posts
This morning I was able to manually program the HandsFreeLink and the back button using the ASWC-1. However, the answer and end call functions will not work with my HU unless I remove the ASWC-1 :rolleyes:
I am currently troubleshooting programming these buttons on mine. I imagine you ran the wire to the Navi module under the driver's seat? I did just that and was able to program the "Back" button, but for the life of me the "talk" button will not recognize.

·
Registered
2006 RTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently troubleshooting programming these buttons on mine. I imagine you ran the wire to the Navi module under the driver's seat? I did just that and was able to program the "Back" button, but for the life of me the "talk" button will not recognize.
My ridge is a RTS so I do not have the navi module. I had to add a wire from the backside of the clock spring connector to the blue wire on the ASWC-1 in order to get my back and talk buttons to both be programmable.

I still do not have the answer and end call buttons working but at least I was able to program two functions to each button with the ASWC-1.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL/Sun/Navi - BLACK - Aftermarket HU/Cam
8 Posts
My ridge is a RTS so I do not have the navi module. I had to add a wire from the backside of the clock spring connector to the blue wire on the ASWC-1 in order to get my back and talk buttons to both be programmable.

I still do not have the answer and end call buttons working but at least I was able to program two functions to each button with the ASWC-1.
I got mine all figured out! I had to run an extra wire from the grey/blue ASWC to my navi connector (I know that doesn't apply in your case). Now volume, channel, mode, talk, and back buttons all work!

I got them all to register voice activation to my Alpine head unit (I use Android, but Siri should be the same) by programming the function as PTT.
I also programmed phone call stuff. "Off Hook" command answers my phone calls, and the "on hook" now ends them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts