Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed when driving on the highway at anything over 70MPH I'm hearing a faint whistle noise. Seems to be the air hitting or going through some certain area, I can't pinpoint where yet. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your radio is not turned up enough.>:)

Seriously though, it could be a door seal, windsheild not seated quite right, or something along those lines. With the 2016 Tacoma there were lots of complaints of howling at certain conditions, and it turned out to be holes in the lower control arms. You should make your dealer aware and if there are any TSB´s they will notify you.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I just noticed when driving on the highway at anything over 70MPH I'm hearing a faint whistle noise. Seems to be the air hitting or going through some certain area, I can't pinpoint where yet. Anyone else notice this?
I haven't gotten my truck yet (MONTHS away...) but when I do, I am sure the whistle will be coming from....ME! due to being so happy I got a new truck that happens to be the best truck of 2016.

But seriously, try shutting the AC off and cracking a window SLIGHTLY. Not even enough to be seen, just a sliver. That will tell you if it is from the pressure difference (if it stops) or outside (if it still whistles) from a mirror, molding or something else sticking out into the wind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes. And it was at speeds of over 70 as well. Turned off the radio and verified that my wife heard it too. It was soft and intermittent. I want to say that it was on the driver's side, but my hearing sucks (I blame rock & roll) and so I could be mistaken as to the location of the source. We weren't on the highway very long that trip. The funny thing is that I didn't hear it when I drove the truck home originally and that was 2+ hours on the interstate.

I am planning on listening again on my next few trips to see if I can get a better idea of when and where. It is already on my list for the dealer and the quality survey stuff when that gets to me. With the truck being quiet, it is going to be all the more noticeable if they cannot locate and fix.

I have a RTL-E (AWD) if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. And it was at speeds of over 70 as well. Turned off the radio and verified that my wife heard it too. It was soft and intermittent. I want to say that it was on the driver's side, but my hearing sucks (I blame rock & roll) and so I could be mistaken as to the location of the source. We weren't on the highway very long that trip. The funny thing is that I didn't hear it when I drove the truck home originally and that was 2+ hours on the interstate.

I am planning on listening again on my next few trips to see if I can get a better idea of when and where. It is already on my list for the dealer and the quality survey stuff when that gets to me. With the truck being quiet, it is going to be all the more noticeable if they cannot locate and fix.

I have a RTL-E (AWD) if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the responses. I also did not hear it on my 1.5 hour drive home from the dealer when I picked it up. I can even hear it over the radio/music. Very easy to hear when the radio is off. The sound goes away the second I go below 70. I will be taking it to the dealer this week, hopefully they are able to locate the problem area..

I have an RTL-T AWD.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Interesting. I will try to have a look if my RTL-E shows up this week like it is supposed to. Not a big issue for me since the nearest place where the limit is over 55 is a 3 hour drive away so would only apply during passing and on long trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I brought my RTL-T in to the dealer for the whistle and they basically gave me a load of crap - "could be normal" type lines. They said they are going to put a call into Honda (yeah right). At least I have it documented and when I come back for the first oil change, I'll push harder as I did not have time to go back and forth with them this time.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I hope this isn't the same issue as Gen 1. Many of the first RLs had windshields that were installed improperly. If I remember correctly, (this was years ago), the way to determine whether the windshield was the cause was to put wide painters tape all along the windshield edge preventing wind from entering the gap between the body and the windshield. If you no longer hear noise after placing the tape on the windshield, you know what your problem is. Many people also experienced wind noise after having a windshield replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hear the same noise but it is on the same stretch of road and at a certain speed. Once I clear that stretch the noise goes away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have this sound (constant high-pitched whine) at speeds between 71-76 on the interstate consistently. I've heard it off/on at speeds around 45 as well, but it is not as loud and not consistent like at the higher speeds. I've put the truck in neutral and the sound remains. It goes away when I go above or below those speeds. Any ideas on why? Bearings? Sorry - not a car nut and so I am at a loss. I'll be headed to the dealer next week to try and see if they can replicate.

I'm looking for ideas on what is causing this as I hate whining - especially when it is coming from my kids or my truck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have this sound (constant high-pitched whine) at speeds between 71-76 on the interstate consistently. I've heard it off/on at speeds around 45 as well, but it is not as loud and not consistent like at the higher speeds. I've put the truck in neutral and the sound remains. It goes away when I go above or below those speeds. Any ideas on why? Bearings? Sorry - not a car nut and so I am at a loss. I'll be headed to the dealer next week to try and see if they can replicate.

I'm looking for ideas on what is causing this as I hate whining - especially when it is coming from my kids or my truck.

Thanks.
This is exactly what I am hearing. Loudest between 71-76, goes away above or below those speeds. It is easy to hear and quite annoying. Please let me know if your dealer is more helpful than mine was and they are able to replicate and ideally fix the issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is exactly what I am hearing. Loudest between 71-76, goes away above or below those speeds. It is easy to hear and quite annoying. Please let me know if your dealer is more helpful than mine was and they are able to replicate and ideally fix the issue.
So, it turns out that the private messages are legit. It's American Honda's "Social media group". I had someone call me today and they have given me a case number to reference when I take it in to the dealer. I wanted to make sure that you knew about this. Hopefully this means that they have a resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the OEM Honda Air deflector installed on my Ridgeline BE and noticed the faint whistle over the past week at speeds of 45 MPH and above. After extensive searching for the sound with masking tape experiments I found the source. Some of the double sided adhesive holding the edge brackets to the hood were raised up and causing the sound. After removing the air deflector and reinstalling with fresh 3M double side auto tape whistle is gone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the OEM Honda Air deflector installed on my Ridgeline BE and noticed the faint whistle over the past week at speeds of 45 MPH and above. After extensive searching for the sound with masking tape experiments I found the source. Some of the double sided adhesive holding the edge brackets to the hood were raised up and causing the sound. After removing the air deflector and reinstalling with fresh 3M double side auto tape whistle is gone.
I've got to take my truck in this week for them to look at some other stuff and since I also have this whistling, I'm make sure that they look there first. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts