Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting post on the 25 fastest growing vehicle. #1 was the Honda Ridgeline, percentage sales increase from 2015 to 2019 + 6,310.30 %
Total sales 33,334. ( USA Today 3/14/2020 ) Seems the rest of the world is finally catching up. Perfect truck for 90 % of my needs, and I suspect that goes for a lot of others as well.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Got to put the numbers into perspective though. At best 30% of 40k units produced annually is 12k won't make much impact on the bottom line and that's with heavy discounting. It's just a headline grabber because there's not much else positive going on with Honda. They've got to get their quality back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have much background with Honda but alway thought quality was a priority....
Anyway, I agree that it is a matter of perspective, however considering Honda's marketing of the Ridgeline
I believe it is more than interesting to see that level of up tick sales. I would be interested in seeing their percentage
of profit, American trucks provide a very substantial margin, and market extensively as a result.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,020 Posts
I don't have much background with Honda but alway thought quality was a priority....
Anyway, I agree that it is a matter of perspective, however considering Honda's marketing of the Ridgeline
I believe it is more than interesting to see that level of up tick sales. I would be interested in seeing their percentage
of profit, American trucks provide a very substantial margin, and market extensively as a result.
Sales uptick was almost certainly due to the financing deals, incentives and deep dealer discounts on the 2019s at the end of model year.

·
Administrator
14,542 Posts
Not anymore. Honda's initial and long-term quality has fallen to below the industry industry average. Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai are your quality leaders these days.

I think it's safe to say that there's not nearly as much profit in the Ridgeline which has some expensive hardware like the iVTM-4 system, composite bed, and unibody construction with fully independent suspension that the other mid-size trucks don't.

"American" trucks with their ancient, body-on-frame construction are relatively cheap to build.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
359 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that there is no cost difference between building a unibody or a body on frame, it just depends on what your factory is set up to build, and the real cost is retooling if you switch from one to the other.

Other than body on frame also allows for more variations.

The other interesting piece of that headline is the starting date of 2015 , before Honda stopped building in 16 for the redesign

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent points all, but bring a new owner (5 months) I still have a bit of buyer remorse. That means that even
last week I have been checking prices on used 2018 RTL-E and they have not budged here in the Northeast.
It took me almost a year to find the unit I wanted, even then I had to bid up to get it. They are that difficult to locate.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
In my mind, the most significant market trend is the US buyer stampede to SUVs and pickups. Sedan sales are tanking. If Honda can't figure out how to tap into a bigger piece of the hot truck market, they're going to lose out. The wild card, though, is electrification. Honda better get on board quickly or they will be left in the dust.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
31 Posts
after 3 years waiting since the G2 came out finally bought Rl last month .never own a truck before until now with intention will tow a small travel trailer to see the country as we are close to retirement age after test drive the Tundra , F 150 , Ram 1500 full size truck are too big specially we are driving Prius iii and Prius V, TACOMA too small. RL is just perfect ride quality, roomy cabin, towing capability the off road with RTL-E torque vector Previously own the Toyota Landcruser, Mercedes ML 320 with low gear capable for off road but never stupidly to attempted deep woods rock crawler not going to with the RL either. I hope Honda sell enough RL to keep production line going and keeping improves and refine ..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your experiences mirrors my own. I
Hunter for almost a year to get my 18 RTL-E . Wife wanted a Taco but changed her mind after a test drive. I drove the other mid-sized units an settled easily on the Ridge. Closest I came to bringing
a truck owner was the 62 Scout dune buggy and the unfortunate dealings with Uncle Sugar's fleet of dandy green trucks.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,016 Posts
As to the original post, those numbers are vastly skewed. According to Honda's official sales numbers, 520 new 2014 RL's were officially sold in the early part of 2015. Obviously, there were no 2015 or 2016 RL's before the G2 came out in mid 2016 as a 2017 model. Honda sold the 33k units in 2019 as previously mentioned. So the sales numbers between 2015 and 2019 are going to show an increase of over 6000% due to those factors.

The G2 RL pretty religiously sells at 2500-3000 units per month on average. There have been some lulls and peaks, but that's about it. Over the last few months, there has been a slight uptick with the 2020 "refresh" that was done, but, as expected, sales tanked in March due to the stay at home order. You can certainly expect April to be worse.

The RL is a niche vehicle pretty much always will be. It will never be a volume vehicle selling like the F150 or Tacoma. Even with the G2's superiority in function, power, fuel efficiency, and interior quality, it has never come close to selling as much as the G1 did yearly from early 05 to mid 08.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts