Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. After putting only 900 miles on the odometer, we were leaving on a long trip and suddenly the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. There were lots of alarm dinging sounds, and one message after another scrolling by: Trailer Stability Problem (TSA); Power Steering Problem (EPS); Vehicle Stability Problem (VSA); Hill Start Assist Problem...until finally a message that there was a Braking System Problem. A bit of an "oh shit" moment, to be sure.

Obviously we pulled off the highway ASAP, and my wife and I started dialing numbers. I first tried calling Honda Customer Care, but was placed on infinite hold. So we called a number of Honda Dealership service phone numbers until we reached a live person (the fourth try was the charm). A very nice manager there said to not take the Ridgeline on the trip (obviously), and to get it in to dealer instead. There was no simple way to diagnose to fix this issue. At this point I noticed that the brake lights also remained on after the vehicle was turned off, and then that the vehicle would start again without the brake pedal being depressed (which turned out to be a very important clue).

Long story short, we limped back home on side streets (we were less than two miles from our house), and then loaded up another vehicle and departed on our trip. Then, when we returned from the trip, we had the Ridgeline flat-towed to a dealer with a well-rated service department. It took a couple of days, but the dealer contacted Honda and apparently there is a KNOWN ISSUE with the brake pedal switch failing, which then triggered all of the other error codes we saw.

The dealer service team replaced the brake pedal switch, and all is well now.

Couple of things I learned in the process:
  1. Honda Customer Care doesn't answer their phone.
  2. Most Honda Dealerships in our area (San Diego) do not have Service Advisors readily available (I left messages with two, and they never called me back).
  3. Honda Roadside Assistance will only tow a vehicle in for warranty repairs to the dealership nearest to where the breakdown occurred. This wasn't going to work for us, as the two closest dealerships consistently receive 1-star reviews. So we used our AAA towing privileges to flat-tow the Ridgeline to the better service department, which was another three miles further away. This was a little disappointing for us to have to do.
  4. Honda Care will not provide a free rental car unless the service department folks call them to authorize it first, AFTER having diagnosed the problem. Since the problem wasn't diagnosed until the second day the vehicle was at the dealership, we couldn't receive a rental car when we dropped it off (which would have been helpful).
  5. Apparently, you don't have to get your car serviced at a Honda Dealership for Honda warranty repairs. This was news to me, but some brief research I did seems to indicate that this is true. I may look into this in more detail moving forward, since we have a reputable shop that we've used for many years just down the street, and the Honda Roadside Assistance was such an epic fail.
All-in-All, this was a disappointing experience with a brand new vehicle, Honda Customer Care, and HondaCare -- though I will say the folks at the recommended Honda Dealership were very helpful throughout the whole process (explaining how warranty repairs worked, etc.). As far as I know, there are no recalls or TSBs on this issue (or I don't know the TSB# if there are). But G2 Ridgeline owners may wish to proactively replace their brake pedal switch at a dealer. If this had happened a few hours later, we would have been in a very difficult situation...hundreds of miles from home, in a very lonely expanse of the California desert.

Okay...that's all for now.

· Registered
960 Posts
Why do these Honda's throw up about the same Christmas tree display of errors for various problems, but are not related to the actual problem?Trailer Stability Problem (TSA); Power Steering Problem (EPS); Vehicle Stability Problem (VSA); Hill Start Assist Problem.., Braking System Problem.

Seems like we have had the same display for:
AWD harness (water intrusion)
Start/Stop button
Weak battery?
Alternator Screw wrong torque
Now a Brake switch.

Maybe the regular CEL is not enough, Honda uses them to grab your attention, hey look down here?
I guess the internal diagnostics are just as baffled as we are.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Why do these Honda's throw up about the same Christmas tree display of errors for various problems, but are not related to the actual problem?Trailer Stability Problem (TSA); Power Steering Problem (EPS); Vehicle Stability Problem (VSA); Hill Start Assist Problem.., Braking System Problem.

Seems like we have had the same display for:
AWD harness (water intrusion)
Start/Stop button
Weak battery?
Alternator Screw wrong torque
Now a Brake switch.

Maybe the regular CEL is not enough, Honda uses them to grab your attention, hey look down here?
I guess the internal diagnostics are just as baffled as we are.
Many of these functions share the same hardware and depend on information from common inputs. One sensor or switch can be used for multiple purposes. For example, the brake switch is used by ABS, VSA, TC, TSA, HSA, ACC, CC, MICU, PCM ('17-'19), and (ECU/TCM '20) at minimum. Each of these functions or systems depends on knowing when the brake pedal is pressed.

Examples: You don't want ABS activating if you're not pressing the pedal, the cruise control needs to cancel when you press the brake pedal, the transmission needs to know you're braking so it can downshift for engine braking, the engine needs to know you're pressing the brake pedal so the engine can start, the brake lights need to operate when you press the pedal, etc.

If you had a dedicated switch for each function or system, you'd have a huge gang of switches and dozens of wires connected to the brake pedal. The end result is that you get a warning light or message for each function or system that is affected by the root problem.

When you see multiple warning lights or messages, that's usually because each of those systems is either directly or indirectly affected by the primary failure.

· Registered
2 Posts
When this happened to my 20 Ridgeline (9000miles) my truck wouldn’t shift gears. Pulled over, restarted and still wouldn’t shift gears. I limped it to the dealer and they saw the codes (left it running until someone saw the dash.). They ran the scanner and cleared the codes, and could not get it to duplicate again. They say they have never seen that happen before.
Has not happened again as the truck is approaching 20k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.