Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trucks got around 55,0000 miles on her, and I plan on towing our 5000 pound camper this weekend, about 150 miles round trip. Temp in the 80's here.

Should I be concerned? Not any real steep climbs at all....................

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
drain and refill, 3 times, maybe 4 but not flush...

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Unless you find a transmission tech or mechanic to do a slow or flush under it's owner pump power. Such a thing is possible, and low risk. But many have been doing the D&F 3X for a long time, and it seems to do the job just fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unless you find a transmission tech or mechanic to do a slow or flush under it's owner pump power. Such a thing is possible, and low risk. But many have been doing the D&F 3X for a long time, and it seems to do the job just fine.
+1 - just do the drain & refill 3 times using only Honda DW-1 ATF each time. I'd recommend going at least 500 miles between each drain & fill, just to make sure the new fluid has a chance to circulate everywhere. Not only will that change out all your old fluid, but you'll get the chance to clean off the crud that accumulates on the magnetic transmission drain plug - makes me feel better just knowing there's no metal shavings on that plug!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My truck has 52,000 miles on it (2006). I did the first tranny 3x at 30,000 and now the second. The second was only a 2x. Between drain and fills I go around our lake (about six miles), return and do it again.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Don't forget the transfer assembly, often forgotten by dealerships.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
drain and refill, 3 times, maybe 4 but not flush...
+1 - just do the drain & refill 3 times using only Honda DW-1 ATF each time. I'd recommend going at least 500 miles between each drain & fill, just to make sure the new fluid has a chance to circulate everywhere. Not only will that change out all your old fluid, but you'll get the chance to clean off the crud that accumulates on the magnetic transmission drain plug - makes me feel better just knowing there's no metal shavings on that plug!
My truck has 52,000 miles on it (2006). I did the first tranny 3x at 30,000 and now the second. The second was only a 2x. Between drain and fills I go around our lake (about six miles), return and do it again.
For my own education - are you all recommending the 3x drain refill because he will be moving from Z1 to DW-1 ATF or something else entirely?

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Further evidenced by the fact the owner thinks it needs a 'flush', I think we are assuming (rightly or not) nothing has been done up to this point.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
"For my own education - are you all recommending the 3x drain refill because he will be moving from Z1 to DW-1 ATF or something else entirely"?

We try to do 3x drain/fill because I believe the capacity is 9qts, however, you can only drain 3qts at a time. By doing a 3x drain/fill you will end up with a greater ratio of cleaner, newer transmission fluid. Not 100% perhaps but a much better ratio than if you simply add 3qts of new transmission fluid to 6qts of old.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
We try to do 3x drain/fill because I believe the capacity is 9qts, however, you can only drain 3qts at a time. By doing a 3x drain/fill you will end up with a greater ratio of cleaner, newer transmission fluid. Not 100% perhaps but a much better ratio than if you simply add 3qts of new transmission fluid to 6qts of old.
So do you do this every time you change the transmission fluid?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,174 Posts
For the record, the official Honda tranny flush is 4x D&Fs. I've not seen anything come out that supercedes this info. Steps 9 and 10 are the 4th drain and 4th and final refill.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
It will not change ALL of it, but certainly the major portion.
You can clean the plug before you do a flush too. Just pour the drained fluid into a clean container. After cleaning and replacing the plug, pour the drained fluid back in, and start the flush. When finished you will only have fresh fluid running through it.
The real beauty it is a one time operation and you are set for tens of thousands of miles.
Again, assuming a low pressure flush, basically using the converter to pump out the old and suck in the new. Less pressure being built up than when you drive it. Engine will only be idling, nothing is being forced.
I will let you know when I do it, including pics.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
So do you do this every time you change the transmission fluid?
At 30,000 miles I did it 3x, at 50,000 miles I did it 2x. The procedure posted by speedlever is probably the best way to go but four times seems a little much to me. I suppose if you do it enough times you will eventually get every drop of old fluid out but at nearly $10 a quart there has to be a point when common sense kicks in. I say that because if you go to a Honda dealer for the transmission flush they are going to drain and fill once. I don't know this for a fact of course since I do my own work but I'd be willing to bet they are not going to drain and fill multiple times so the 3x is overkill by Honda's own standards.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
At 30,000 miles I did it 3x, at 50,000 miles I did it 2x. The procedure posted by speedlever is probably the best way to go but four times seems a little much to me. I suppose if you do it enough times you will eventually get every drop of old fluid out but at nearly $10 a quart there has to be a point when common sense kicks in. I say that because if you go to a Honda dealer for the transmission flush they are going to drain and fill once. I don't know this for a fact of course since I do my own work but I'd be willing to bet they are not going to drain and fill multiple times so the 3x is overkill by Honda's own standards.
Thanks! So the point is to remove all the Z1 fluid. Once, it has been replaced completely by DW1 (or you think most of it has), then for every consecutive transmission fluid change, return to the regular 1x change.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
Who knows what each dealer does in respect to the flush. They are also doing it on a lift which will greatly speed up the process, but still.

I posted a chart on here somewhere that provides the relative mix of DW-1 and Z1 and changes occur.

Here it is:

Depending on how anal you are, you can carry this to ad nauseum. With 4 changes, Honda gets it to about 88%.

Also, you can get the DW-1 for about $7/qt, depending on shipping.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CHHAC&Product_Code=08200-9008-CASE&Category_Code=

I haven't converted over to DW-1 yet as I have an existing stock of Z1 to work through first. I have 41k on my RL right now and have changed the tranny fluid at 17k and 30k. Next oil change should be the A136 or B136 service.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Bam their it is...... I knew I saw that chart somewhere before. I should have figured Speed had it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thanks! So the point is to remove all the Z1 fluid. Once, it has been replaced completely by DW1 (or you think most of it has), then for every consecutive transmission fluid change, return to the regular 1x change.
There is no need for me to answer your question as Speedlever has the chart right there. Like he said, go for broke if you are anal enough to want every drop out.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
Every drop? How many decimal places would you like me to run this? :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts